Euphorbia tirucalli

Padmini Raghavan

Mar 9, 2011, 8:14:13 PM3/9/11
to indiantreepix
I hope I have the id right.
 Regards,
Padmini Raghavan.
Euphorbia tirucalli 001.jpg
Euphorbia tirucalli 003.jpg
Euphorbia tirucalli 002.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Mar 10, 2011, 1:31:17 AM3/10/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Thnaks a lot for this wonderful post Padmini ji. Yes indeed this is Euphorbia tirucalli. Common names Pencil Tree/ Milkbush/RubberFinger Trees/ Tiru-Malu .This one was missing in the panaroma of Euphorbias provided  so far !

It is called Pencil tree because of the tough, spineless shrub with pencil like dark green branches and a few small grass-green leaves at the tips of growing branches as seen in your pictures. The flowers are aslo found clustered at the apexes of the branches, and  the plant produces a milky sap.

regards,
Rashida.

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 10, 2011, 1:37:55 AM3/10/11
to Rashida Atthar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Isnt the milky sap poisonous especially to the eyes?
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Rashida Atthar

Mar 10, 2011, 1:44:09 AM3/10/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Would like to add the current accepted name as per Kew Plant LIst is Euphorbia tirucalli L. Attaching the type specimen from Kew herbarium.

regards,
Rashida.

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:01 PM, Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com> wrote:
Type specimen Euphorbia tirucalli L..jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Mar 10, 2011, 2:02:49 AM3/10/11
to Padmini Raghavan, Anand Kumar Bhatt, indiantreepix
Nice pics mam.
Euphorbia tirucalli L. Sp. Pl. 1: 452 (1753).

Type: LECTOTYPE - Tithymalus Indicus frutescens" in Commelin, Hort.
Med. Amstelod. Pl. Rar., 1: 27, t. 14, 1697 [Designated by: Leach in
Kirkia 9 : 70 (1973)]

t. 14 is attached with the mail. Linne described this plant from
India, but I have never seen this from Wild and my plant never flowers
in my garden..

@Anand sir, yes the latex are poisonous, but in small quantities they
are medicinal, of course not for the eye.

Regards
Pankaj

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:44 AM, Padmini Raghavan <pad...@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Commelin Figure 14 Tithymalus Indicus Frutescens LECTOTYPE.jpg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Mar 13, 2011, 3:21:31 AM3/13/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Well one of my doctor friends long time back had asked me to remove them as my children were tiny tots that time.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A NEW BLOG HAS BEEN ADDED ON 29 January 2011.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
(NEW PHOTOS HAVE BEEN ADDED ON 11 March 2011.)