Water chestnut

mani nair

Oct 14, 2010, 3:19:01 AM10/14/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,

Sending photos of Water chestnut or Singhara plants growing in a wet land at Dombivli, Thane Dt.

Regards,

Mani.
singhada.JPG
singhada2.JPG
singhada3.JPG
singhada4.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 14, 2010, 3:22:15 AM10/14/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Trapa natans
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 14, 2010, 3:23:44 AM10/14/10

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:49 PM, mani nair <mani....@gmail.com> wrote:

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 14, 2010, 3:26:09 AM10/14/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Other small plants in water are some species of Spirodela.
Pankaj

JANAKI TURAGA

Oct 14, 2010, 3:38:44 AM10/14/10
to treepix Indian

Thanks for sharing this. I am seeing for the first time
Janaki Turaga

mani nair

Oct 14, 2010, 3:41:42 AM10/14/10
to JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Thanks Pankaj ji  for the ID and Janaki ji .  Now it is not the fruiting season.  I will send some photos when in fruit.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 14, 2010, 3:43:02 AM10/14/10
to mani nair, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
yes it is the fruiting season now. They are on sale in market. Fruits
are tasty :)).
Pankaj

tanay bose

Oct 14, 2010, 9:43:14 AM10/14/10
to Pankaj Kumar, mani nair, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
We call this Pani Fal in Bengali
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Padmini Raghavan

Oct 14, 2010, 1:54:51 PM10/14/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Are those snails on top of the leaves?
 Where do the fruit grow? Underwater?
 Have never seen these and thought they were only available abroad.
(Have only had them in a Chinese restaurant.)

Rgds,

Padmini Raghavan.

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 14, 2010, 2:14:11 PM10/14/10
to Padmini Raghavan, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Single fruits are borne on long underwater stalks. Fruits are on water
surface or under water, floating.
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 14, 2010, 2:32:46 PM10/14/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Padmini Raghavan, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
In warm climate (know of Delhi) we generally have larger fruited T. natans ssp. bispinosa. ssp. natans is common in Kashmir with smaller fruits. What would this one be?

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Jency Samuel

Oct 16, 2010, 10:24:12 AM10/16/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Last October while on a trip from Lucknow, our cab driver got boiled water chestnuts from roadside vendors. They were served with green chutney. From what he said in Hindi, I understood it to be the root. I haven't seen them in Tamil Nadu.

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 16, 2010, 10:44:06 AM10/16/10
to Jency Samuel, indian...@googlegroups.com
The fruits of Trapa natans ssp natans in Kashmir are generally sold bioled and peeled, with stalks removed. Those of ssp. bispinosa are often sold (in Delhi markets; same must be truw for Lucknow) along with stalks which are very stout. That could be reason for confusion.