Malvaceae week

1 view

Satish Phadke

Sep 8, 2011, 5:54:18 AM9/8/11
to indiantreepix
Malvaceae week is in full swing and everybody is enjoying it.
I was just checking about newly added families(or merged ones)in Malvaceae.
To my surprise
Bombacaceae
Tiliaceae and even
Sterculiaceae is now under Malvaceae.
In all there are more than 4200 species world over.
In Flora of Maharashtra BSI the list of Genera is
Malvaceae 16
Tiliaceae 5
Sterculiaceae 8
Bombacaceae  2
With many species in each.
So it would be a huge task to post the pictures.
Cheers.
Dr Phadke

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 8, 2011, 6:29:33 AM9/8/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Just to add, this BSI list does not include all the common cultivated trees. former Bombacaceae has already been uploaded with Bombax ceiba, Bombax insigne, Ceiba pentandra, Ceiba speciosa, and with Pseudobombax to come (only 2 in BSI list as mentioned by you). So expect much more, and with some from outside India count this as one of the very successful episode like Fruits and Vegetables, Lamiaceae and others.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 8, 2011, 6:34:47 AM9/8/11
to Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Satish ji, your two Pachira species make it 7 for former Bombacaceae.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Balkar Arya

Sep 8, 2011, 10:28:33 AM9/8/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Satish Phadke, indiantreepix
Thanks Satish Ji and Gurcharan Ji.
Success of this week is beyond my imagination. I was thinking about in all 300 mails in this week. But till now about 630 mails in about 190 threads have already appeared. Friday, Saturday and Sunday yet to come. I hope in malvaceae week we shall be covering more than 200 different species in about 350 threads and more than a thousand mails. In this week it is jut like celebrations of HOLI eg so many colors of hibiscus we are putting here.
I again thank you all for this grand response.
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat