Herb for ID from Karnal Haryana

Nidhan Singh

Jan 1, 2011, 12:16:02 AM1/1/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear All,
Pls. identify the Herb, which I assume can be a species of Justicia.
It was shot sometime in August 2009 from district Karnal in Haryana.

--
Dr. Nidhan Singh
Department of Botany

tn_DSCF1383.JPG
tn_DSCF1400.JPG
tn_DSCF1397.JPG

tanay bose

Jan 1, 2011, 12:31:25 AM1/1/11
to Nidhan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Justicia adhatoda I suppose
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 1, 2011, 4:39:22 AM1/1/11
to Nidhan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
This should be Justicia gendarussa.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 23, 2011, 12:11:06 AM1/23/11
to Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, Nidhan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it is Justicia gendarussa which has much narrower darker leaves, smaller flowers with pink markings.

This plant from Haryana was uploaded by Nidhan ji earlier also. To me it looks like Justicia adhatoda, as commented by Tanay.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Nidhan Singh

Jan 23, 2011, 12:43:55 AM1/23/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, indian...@googlegroups.com
Respected Dr. Gurcharan Singh Ji,
I still believe that this plant is closer to Justicia gendarussa
rather than J. adhatoda, may be the attached pics are not that
descriptive which led you to conclude it otherwise.
The posted plant actually has smaller size, leaves small and narrower
than and flower color towards pinkish when compared to Adahtoda
vasica.
Regards,

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 23, 2011, 2:33:17 AM1/23/11
to Nidhan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nidhan ji
You may please upload the habit of plant and leaves for final confirmation. It is supposed to be a much smaller plant with much narrower leaves. I have uploaded my photographs of J. gendarussa separately.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Nidhan Singh

Jan 23, 2011, 3:17:48 AM1/23/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, TANAY BOSE, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir,
I am uploading all the other photos for this plant available with me .
Thanks a lot for your posting. But my opinion is same, the plant looks
close to J. gendarussa, though leaves appear broader, it is probably
due to close up shots.
Regards,
--
tn_Justicia (3).JPG