Commelinales & Zingiberales Week, February 7 to 13, 2011 (Coordinator Dr. Mayur Nandikar)

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 4, 2011, 10:34:05 PM2/4/11
to efloraofindia, mayur nandikar
Dear Friends
The focus this month would be on Commelinales & Zingiberales between February 7 to 13, 2011. Dr. Mayur Nandikar, our expert on family Commelinaceae has offered this episode, which was  originally proposed to include family Commelinaceae, but the scope was increased to include other families in light of the small size of the family in India. For the convenience of members the following families/genera would be covered in this episode:

Commelinales
Commelinaceae: Commelina, Cyanotis, Floscopa, Murdania, Pollia, Tinantia, Tradescantia (including RhoeoSetcreaseaZebrina etc.)
Pontederiaceae: Eichhornia, Monochoria, Pontederia

Zingiberales
Cannaceae: Canna
Costaceae: Costus
Heliconiaceae: Heliconia,
Marantaceae: Calathea, Maranta
Musaceae: Ensete, Musa
Strelitziaceae: Strelitzia
Zingiberaceae: Alpinia, Cautleya, Curcuma, Elletaria, Etlingera, Hedychium, Hitchenia, Kaempferia, Roscoea, Zingiber

      Any genus represented in India but missed by me can be added by the experts

FOR NON-BOTANISTS IF YOU ARE SENDING IDENTIFIED PHOTOGRAPHS YOU WILL KNOW WHERE IT BELONGS (WIKIPEDIA IS THE EASIEST SOURCE.

FOR PLANTS MEANT FOR ID FOR THIS EPISODE:
              ALL MONOCOTS WITH SOME SORT OF COVERING (SPATHE) ON THE INFLORESCENCE EXCLUDING GRASSES, SEDGES AND PALMS FOR THIS EPISODE

And Yes if any plant gets covered in error, it is a bonus for the episode. The experts would be there to sort it out.

ALL Posts meant for this episode should have the first part of Subject Line: "Commelinales & Zingiberales Week" followed  by the unique part so that the threads don't get mixed up.

I would request Mayur ji to provide further guidelines.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

mayur nandikar

Feb 4, 2011, 11:12:05 PM2/4/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you sir for initiating the topic.

I cordially invite all of you  for "Commelinales & Zingiberales Week" in fact I request you to contribute the things regarding these orders.

And I hope any thread/ information/ Identification queries related to these orders will help to finalize data for our new web address.

Please follow the subject line: "Commelinales & Zingiberales Week" and try to provide minute details of species as much possible. Specially in case of Commelinaceae and allied families since 2008, lot of species are already posted by many of our members, therefore I just suppose to ask u all, shall we repost it again with their proper ID and details?

Looking forward for another exciting episode next week.

--
Mayur Nandikar
Research Student,

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 4, 2011, 11:13:38 PM2/4/11
to mayur nandikar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Best wishes Mr. Mayur......
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 4, 2011, 11:25:25 PM2/4/11
to Pankaj Kumar, mayur nandikar, efloraofindia
Yes Mayur ji
The purpose of the episodes is to relive the plants already in the database also. This way we can improve upon the information or make necessary corrections, where possible. Different members can contribute their own sets of photographs once a thread is  initiated. This way we will have glimpse of all members of the focus group in the same week.

I repeat: The subject line should  be unique for each thread....."Commelinales & Zingiberales Week" followed by unique set of words.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

formp...@yahoo.com

Feb 4, 2011, 11:29:50 PM2/4/11
to mayur nandikar, Efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh
Wow. So again a new episode.
Sirji you must be a great teacher and favourate of students. How nicely you are shaping the group.
As the episodes are maturing perfect guidelines for botanists , nonbotanists, expections for watchers like me.
Great!
So best luck Mayurji and experts.
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: mayur nandikar <mnan...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 09:42:05 +0530
To: Gurcharan Singh<sing...@gmail.com>
Cc: efloraofindia<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [efloraofindia:62116] Re: Commelinales & Zingiberales Week, February 7 to 13, 2011 (Coordinator Dr. Mayur Nandikar)

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 4, 2011, 11:35:02 PM2/4/11
to formp...@yahoo.com, mayur nandikar, Efloraindia
Thanks Madhuri ji
Only friends like you are a fuel for growth and increased involvement. Thanks for all the good words. I am lucky to be on this group.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089