Ficus drupacea

Rohit N

Jul 27, 2011, 1:44:50 AM7/27/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ficus drupacea both the varieties from Namdapha NP Arunachal Pradesh. Lot of animals, including, hornbills, barbets, hoolock gibbons feed on it extensively. Both the varieties occur sympatrically in AP.

Cheers

--
Rohit Naniwadekar
Ph.D Student,

H S

Jul 27, 2011, 9:56:51 AM7/27/11
to Rohit N, indian...@googlegroups.com
Lovely,,, yes Ficus drupacea

regards,
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 29, 2011, 12:50:33 PM7/29/11
to efloraofindia
Is it edible?? looks tasty!!
Pankaj

Smilax004

Jul 29, 2011, 1:28:46 PM7/29/11
to efloraofindia
I agree with Hemsan that this is Ficus drupacea Thunb. of Moraceae
family
Ficus mysorensis is now a synonym of F.drupacea

Please use the following link for reference
http://www.biotik.org/india/species/f/ficudrup/ficudrup_en.html

Dear Pankaj ji,

It is edible for animals and birds for sure. We generally dont eat it.
But if you collect it from the plant when it is ripened we can eat it.
Remember that there will be lots of fig wasps in it!

Regards,
Giby
>  Ficus drupacea (2).jpg
> 42KViewDownload
>
>  Ficus drupacea.jpg
> 46KViewDownload

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 29, 2011, 2:46:03 PM7/29/11
to efloraofindia
That would be world's first non-veg fruit then.... :))
By the way, I got a chance to eat Artocarpus lakoocha after a long
time here in Dehradun. I loved it.
Pankaj

On Jul 29, 10:28 pm, Smilax004 <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with Hemsan that this is Ficus drupacea Thunb. of Moraceae
> family
> Ficus mysorensis is now a synonym of F.drupacea
>
> Please use the following link for referencehttp://www.biotik.org/india/species/f/ficudrup/ficudrup_en.html

Mahadeswara

Jul 30, 2011, 7:53:27 AM7/30/11
to efloraofindia
Kannada: Goni-Mara ( Ficus drupacea var. pubescens) . A common tree
in Karnataka.