PR-180411-For ID- Bangalore.

Padmini Raghavan

Apr 18, 2011, 2:01:22 PM4/18/11
to indiantreepix
Hi All,
 Please help me id this tree with mimosa-like leaves, growing in a village 45 kms from Bangalore.
It was covered with white flowers which turned a mustard -yellow  and had flat seed pods.
I am afraid I did not check to see if the flowers were perfumed.
The trunk was very irregular (I'm not sure how it is to be described!) Gnarled and ropey?
 Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
A tree to id- Bang.-16-04-11 002.jpg
A tree to id- Bang.-16-04-11 003.jpg
A tree to id- Bang.-16-04-11 004.jpg
A tree to id- Bang.-16-04-11 007.jpg
A tree to id- Bang.-16-04-11 010.jpg

Vijayasankar

Apr 18, 2011, 2:37:41 PM4/18/11
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
Nice pictures of Delonix elata of Caesalpiniaceae.
Called as 'Vaadha narayanan' or 'Vaadha mudakki' in Tamil. As the names suggest, it is used for the treatment of rheumatic arthritis (hope Pankaj ji has some interesting info on this too).
This African plant is commonly planted as an avenue tree in many parts of India.
It can be easily propagated by stem cuttings.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Pardeshi S.

Apr 19, 2011, 3:10:43 AM4/19/11
to efloraofindia
yes it is
Delonix elata (L.) Gamble, Fl. Madras Pres. 396, 2929; Almeida, Fl.
Mah. 2: 191 1998; Singh et al, Fl. Mah. St. 1: 803, 2000.
Synonyms: Poinciana elata L., Cent. Pl. 2: 16, 1758; Baker in Hook.f.,
Fl. Brit. India 2: 260, 1878; Cooke, Fl. Pres. Bombay 1: 442, 1958
(Repr.)
Common names: Safed gulmohar.
Origin: Native of Tropical Africa and Asia

regards
satish pardeshi

On Apr 18, 11:37 pm, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice pictures of *Delonix elata *of Caesalpiniaceae.

Mahadeswara

Apr 19, 2011, 10:06:35 AM4/19/11
to efloraofindia
Delonix alata. These trees are found in large numbers in Kokkare
Bellur , the famous bird sanctuary near Maddur. Last month I posted
the pictures showing birds on this tree to the group.
These trees are also seen on Mahabalipuram road near the Golden
Beach, Palavakkam in Chennai ( for the information of Dr. Padmini).