ID Digboi Plant

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi

Nov 5, 2010, 7:14:53 AM11/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

just shot a pot plant at my Homeat Digboi.

Can any body help me id this plant ?
Regards

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
http://calvinssimulatedreality.blogspot.com/
http://sites.google.com/site/butterflynortheast1/

Image005.jpg
Image010.jpg
Image003.jpg

Mahadeswara Swamy

Nov 5, 2010, 9:18:44 AM11/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi
Rivina humilis .  Phytoloccaceae

tanay bose

Nov 5, 2010, 10:14:08 AM11/5/10
to Chandan Jyoti Gogoi, indian...@googlegroups.com
Rivina humilis
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi

Nov 5, 2010, 11:52:13 AM11/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

In the last mail I asked the group to id a berry plant. A few replied but few doubts to clear.
Most of the description of Rivina humilis matches with the picture to be ided. But some differences can be seen between them.

For example, the size of the berry is smaller in the id than Rivina humilis (may be due to shrinkage by heat).
the size of the flower is smaller in the pic.
pedicels are thin in case of the picture to be ided. in Rivina humilis, the pedicels are stout.

I may be wrong, as this is done not by years of study but by a mere observation.

Can any body help clarify my doubts ?

Regards

Chandan Jyoti Gogoi
"Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin
http://calvinssimulatedreality.blogspot.com/
http://sites.google.com/site/butterflynortheast1/

On 5 November 2010 21:00, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi <cjg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Tanay.

Mahadeswara Swamy

Nov 7, 2010, 1:18:24 AM11/7/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Chandan Jyoti Gogoi
The variations do occur due to ecological conditions.  For e.g. The neem tree in Mysore city  itself looks quite different from the one in Chennai  (size, colour etc.) (b)  In Boerhavia sps of Nictaginaceae you have  the same species growing in different forms in calcium rich  environment.