Tinospora cordifolia from Lohari Panipat-flowers

Balkar Arya

Apr 26, 2011, 9:35:38 AM4/26/11
to indiantreepix
Dear All
pls validate

Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers

Synonym
Menispermum cordifolium Willd.

However eflora of Pakistan shows  Tinospora cordifolia auct. non (DC). Miers: Hook f. & Thoms.  as synonym of Tinospora malabarica Miers. And not Mentioning
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964
Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers 1.JPG
Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers 2.JPG
Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers 3.JPG
Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers 4.JPG

Balkar Arya

Apr 26, 2011, 12:37:10 PM4/26/11
to indiantreepix
previous mail was incomplete??
.... not mentioning Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers

and

Tinospora malabarica (Lam.) Hook. f. & Thomson is a synonym of Tinospora sinensis (Lour.) Merr.

I think the following can through more light on the matter
A Revision of Tinospora (Menispermaceae) in Asia to Australia and the Pacific: The Menispermaceae of Malesia and Adjacent Areas: X
L. L. Forman
Kew Bulletin
Vol. 36, No. 2 (1981), pp. 375-421
image of only first page attached

If anyone have information on differences among Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers and

Tinospora sinensis (Lour.) Merr. please share

Anatomical differences are available at the following site

Tinospora.gif

Balkar Arya

Apr 26, 2011, 12:54:08 PM4/26/11
to indiantreepix
"Special characters: This plant appears similar to Tinospora cordifolia in all aspects but distinctly differs in having dense hairs covering all plant parts. Stems have prominent white dot-like structures called lenticels. Fruits are attractive orange-red.'
from

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Apr 26, 2011, 1:30:32 PM4/26/11
to efloraofindia
I assume hairs are present on leaves of sinensis and not on
cordifolia.
Pankaj

On Apr 26, 9:54 pm, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "*Special characters: *This plant appears similar to *Tinospora cordifolia *in
> all aspects but distinctly differs in having dense hairs covering all plant
> parts. Stems have prominent white dot-like structures called lenticels.
> Fruits are attractive orange-red.'
> fromhttp://envis.frlht.org/tsinensis.htm

Neil Soares

Apr 26, 2011, 1:33:52 PM4/26/11
to indiantreepix, Balkar Arya
Hi Dr. Balkar,
  Please check this link:

                             Regards,
                              Neil Soares.

Neil Soares

Apr 26, 2011, 1:56:34 PM4/26/11
to indiantreepix, Balkar Arya
Hi,
 Please also check these links:

                                         Regards,
                                           Neil Soares.

Balkar Arya

Apr 26, 2011, 8:10:17 PM4/26/11
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Thanks Neil Ji and Pankaj Ji for information

H S

Apr 30, 2011, 6:31:08 AM4/30/11
to Balkar Arya, Neil Soares, indiantreepix

Both species are found in many parts of India..
T. sinensis leaves are hairy as well as bigger in size compare to those of T. glabra

--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

J.M. Garg

Aug 13, 2011, 11:34:19 AM8/13/11
to efloraofindia, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, char...@gmail.com, rgee...@gmail.com, anup....@gmail.com, p_chit...@yahoo.co.in, tab...@gmail.com, nit...@gmail.com, anit...@gmail.com, ishwar...@rediffmail.com, H S, Neil Soares, Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

- pls validate Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers Synonym
Menispermum cordifolium Willd.
   However eflora of Pakistan shows  Tinospora cordifolia auct. non (DC). Miers: Hook f. & Thoms.  as synonym of Tinospora malabarica Miers. And not mentioning Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers and Tinospora malabarica (Lam.) Hook. f. & Thomson is a synonym of Tinospora sinensis (Lour.) Merr. in theplantlist.org
   I think the following can through more light on the matter
A Revision of Tinospora (Menispermaceae) in Asia to Australia and the Pacific: The Menispermaceae of Malesia and Adjacent Areas: X L. L. Forman Kew Bulletin Vol. 36, No. 2 (1981), pp. 375-421 image of only first page attached
   If anyone have information on differences among Tinospora cordifolia (Willd.) Miers and Tinospora sinensis (Lour.) Merr. please share
   Anatomical differences are available at the following site
- "Special characters: This plant appears similar to Tinospora cordifolia in all aspects but distinctly differs in having dense hairs covering all plant parts. Stems have prominent white dot-like structures called lenticels. Fruits are attractive orange-red.' from http://envis.frlht.org/tsinensis.
- I assume hairs are present on leaves of sinensis and not on cordifolia.
- Please check this link:
https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/4e...
- Please also check these links:
https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/11...
https://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/7a...
- Both species are found in many parts of India..
T. sinensis leaves are hairy as well as bigger in size compare to those of T. glabra
Aug 13, 2011, 12:55:10 PM8/13/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, char...@gmail.com, rgee...@gmail.com, anup....@gmail.com, p_chit...@yahoo.co.in, tab...@gmail.com, nit...@gmail.com, anit...@gmail.com, ishwar...@rediffmail.com, H S, Neil Soares
'auct. non' means not of the author. Literally meaning, not of the
original author but the plant was designated as Tinospora cordifolia.

So in a layman's word
Tinospora cordifolia is the original plant
Tinospora cordifolia auct. non is named as such but is not of the same
author as above and is a different species which has been named as
Tinospora malabarica.

Tinospora malabarica is now Tinospora sinensis by the way.

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 13, 2011, 1:14:56 PM8/13/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, sing...@gmail.com, char...@gmail.com, rgee...@gmail.com, anup....@gmail.com, p_chit...@yahoo.co.in, tab...@gmail.com, nit...@gmail.com, anit...@gmail.com, ishwar...@rediffmail.com, H S, Neil Soares
Please find the article attached.
Pankaj
Menispermaceae.pdf