Habenaria longicorniculata

manudev madhavan

Feb 24, 2011, 6:39:24 AM2/24/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,

Please validate..

regards

--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow
Systematic & Floristic Lab,
Department of Botany,
Centre for Postgraduate Studies & Research
St. Joseph's College, Devagiri
Kozhikode- 673 008
Mob: 9496470738

Habenaria longicorniculata copy.jpg

tanay bose

Feb 24, 2011, 7:44:47 AM2/24/11
to manudev madhavan, indiantreepix
nice catch
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Feb 24, 2011, 12:14:54 PM2/24/11
to manudev madhavan, indiantreepix
Dear Manu

Thanks a lot for sharing this pic. I assume it was taken long back
during the rainy season.
Yes this is Habenaria longicorniculata J.Graham.. As the name
"longicorniculata" means "long spurred or tailed". I have seen plants
with almost more than 15 cm long spur.

As usual, I will again start my preaching because your are a botanical
researcher.

John Graham (1805-1839) is already abbreviated as J.Graham and hence
logically it shouldnt be abbreviated as 'Grah.'. Some people have this
habit of abbreviating it as 'Graham' which is also wrong owing to the
fact that 'Graham' stands for Graham - Robert Graham (1786-1845).

Just one more example with my species:
Peristylus sahanii P.Kumar et al. is incorrect because that P.Kumar is
not me but some one else who expertises in Mycology. The correct
citation of my species WILL ALWAYS BE Peristylus sahanii Kumar et al..
In best case, you should write the complete names of the authors or in
worst case dont give an author citation. This goes according to the
ICBN Vienna Code Section III, Article 46,
Recommendation 46A, Note 1.

The Code also says the following reference should be followed while
abbreviating:
R. K. Brummitt and C. E. Powell, ed (1992). Authors of Plant Names: A
List of Authors of Scientific Names of Plants, with Recommended
Standard Forms of Their Names, Including Abbreviations.

Many of such abbreviations are available at IPNI as well as Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_botanists_by_author_abbreviation

Dear friend, I request you to take this in good spirits.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate