... fruits and vegetables week

Dinesh Valke

Jan 15, 2011, 12:34:35 PM1/15/11
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Many thanks for the frenzied posting of "fruits and vegetables" ... the vigour of posting has increased many fold.
The benefit of focusing on a particular subject is clearly getting to be seen -- every next day the concentrated efforts increase !!
The substance of our database is getting richer.

My performance was fair at the start, but remained blank and miserable for the rest of the period due to hectic activity at office front.
The weekends, luckily could be spent as holidays ... but, to vent out the monotony of continuous work - retreated to Sahyadris.

Many thanks to every one for stepping forward to share personal bits of knowledge.

Regards,
Dinesh

Satish Phadke

Jan 15, 2011, 12:38:44 PM1/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
It was a wonderful fortnight to see so many fruits and vegetables, some known, some unknown, some exotic. Overall we enjoyed it. Thanks for the efforts put with detailed descriptions of your posts especially the local names and the uses etc.
Dr Phadke

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 15, 2011, 12:52:14 PM1/15/11
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dear Dinesh Sir,

I think this was great. I started it with genera like Eulophia,
Malaxis and Pleione and then Astavarga, later transformed into
families by Dr. Gurcharan and then grouped back into Fruits and
Vegetables. I think yours was the toughest job as you were handling
multiple families. It was really nice and informative and at once I
thought these informations (Fruits and Vegetables) could have been
compiled into an article on Food Plants of India!!

What I didnt like was my own activity, which has been minimized due my
hectic schedule. But I added atleast one :P (Eriobotrya japonica)
which no one else added except for Mr. Ninad.

Over all it was fun and informative and I liked learning.

Kudos to Dinesh Sir and all the rest who added more and more
informations from India, to California to Germany.

One request: Please dont keep such broad topics in future. I assume,
family week/month would be better and less hectic.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 15, 2011, 9:26:33 PM1/15/11
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Congratulations Dinesh ji for undertaking and giving impetus to this mammoth episode on fruits and Vegetables, which we had to extend to the second week. While requesting you for mederatorship, i was confident that you were best equipped for this episode and i am happy and proud that you managed it so well. The episode really picked up and even continues now.
      The episode was fascinatng in that many of us (especially Madhuri ji, nabha ji, Pankaj ji, Rashida ji and others) were able to share interesting information which you usually can't find in books or the web. The threads on Alstonia and Rumex were really interesting.
       I agree with Pankaj ji that we can avoid such episodes and concentrate on families/family group because (my view) plants are liable to get repeated as were Cucurbits (already dealt) and solanaceae (our future episode in April), but still the episode was exciting and really productive one.
      Congratulations and thanks to all for useful contributions.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Madhuri Pejaver

Jan 16, 2011, 5:59:33 AM1/16/11
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Congrats for the successful, educative, mouth watering efforts.
Actually congrats also to start a new group of "EFLORA STORY TELLERS" as named by Sarji.
thanks again for all contributers who showed the beautiful pictures all over the world.
many of th egrass week and fruits veg week mails yet to open. so some more stories as and when i get time to open them,
Madhuri

J.M. Garg

Jan 16, 2011, 11:51:28 PM1/16/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Wonderful efforts!!!
For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix or https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (more than 1500 members & 60,000 messages on 15/1/11 & with a database of around 4450 species on 15/12/10)