reqest for plant id

manoj

Feb 23, 2011, 10:43:54 PM2/23/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
is this safed saawar ?
safed saawar.JPG
new1.JPG
new4.JPG
new2.JPG
new3.JPG

Neil Soares

Feb 23, 2011, 11:21:15 PM2/23/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
 Affirmative. This is the white flower variety of Simul [Bombax ceiba] - the Red Silk Cotton tree.
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.

Satish Chile

Feb 24, 2011, 1:14:31 AM2/24/11
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes this is Bombax ceiba for sure
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Satish Phadke

Feb 24, 2011, 5:38:02 AM2/24/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, manoj
Oh That's amazing.
We commonly observe Bombax ceiba in Red colour flowers.
We had recently seen yellow coloured Bombax ceiba posted by Pravin ji and now you have shown here the white flowered variety of Bombax ceiba.
Thanks for sharing.
The conventional; so called safed Sawar; is a different species Ceiba pentandra from the same family which has been discussed on the group several times.
Regards
Dr Phadke

Rashida Atthar

Feb 24, 2011, 8:24:41 AM2/24/11
to Satish Phadke, indian...@googlegroups.com, manoj
Thanks for the nice pictures Manoj ji. Would like to add that these differences in colour is due to pollinator difference. The white ones would be most probably bat pollinated ! Also would like to inform that Bombax ceiba is now Salmalia rubra, would not know what the variation in  white is called though!

regards,
Rashida.

Ramjee

May 19, 2014, 1:43:11 AM5/19/14
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Satish Phadke, manoj, atthar....@gmail.com
Dear Rashida Ji,

Since when is Silk cotton (Bombax ceiba) called as Salmalia rubra? Is there a formal note on this? If yes, can you pls share? Thank you.

With kind regards,

ramjee