Tree for id 070610MK3

Muthu Karthick

Jun 7, 2010, 8:08:45 AM6/7/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Sorry for posting pictures without any floral details.
Kindly help to id the tree species common on the river banks at an altitude of 500 - 900 msl. For me this resembles Grewia sp. Experts please guide. What this white tree would be?

Date/Time-

04-05-2010 / 02:00 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Mudumalai wls; 700 msl

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Typ

riparian and also on closer deciduous forests

Plant Habit-

tree with whitish bark

Height/Length-

ca. 5 m

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

10 x 4cm; oblique at base

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

no fragrance

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Dinesh Valke

Jun 7, 2010, 11:24:40 AM6/7/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
... the leaves remind me of Ziziphus oenoplia ... BUT cannot see the spines !!
Could be wrong.

Regards.

tanay bose

Jun 7, 2010, 11:41:47 AM6/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dinesh Ji the leaves do look life Ziziphus oenoplia !! but the plant is spineless even the young shoots have spines I have seen it .
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Muthu Karthick

Jun 8, 2010, 2:13:23 AM6/8/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear Dineshji,
Unlike Ziziphus oenoplia this is an unarmed tree. Yet the leaf characters resemble Ziziphus oenoplia.

J.M. Garg

Jun 21, 2010, 6:24:02 AM6/21/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“... the leaves remind me of Ziziphus oenoplia ... BUT cannot see the spines !!
Could be wrong.” from Dinesh ji.

“Dinesh Ji the leaves do look life Ziziphus oenoplia !! but the plant is spineless even the young shoots have spines I have seen it .
Tanay”

“Unlike Ziziphus oenoplia this is an unarmed tree. Yet the leaf characters resemble Ziziphus oenoplia.” from Muthu ji.

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

E 104.jpg
E 105.jpg
E 106.jpg
E 107.jpg

J.M. Garg

Jul 2, 2010, 12:59:24 AM7/2/10
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman
Some earlier relevant feedback:
“... the leaves remind me of Ziziphus oenoplia ... BUT cannot see the spines !!
Could be wrong.” from Dinesh ji.

“Dinesh Ji the leaves do look like Ziziphus oenoplia !! but the plant is spineless even the young shoots have spines I have seen it .

Tanay”

Unlike Ziziphus oenoplia this is an unarmed tree. Yet the leaf characters resemble Ziziphus oenoplia.” from Muthu ji.

Jul 2, 2010, 4:46:57 AM7/2/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear Muthu Ji

This is Trema orientalis (Ulmaceae)

regards
L.Rasingam

Dinesh Valke

Jul 2, 2010, 5:12:37 AM7/2/10
to L. Rasingam, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman
Rasingam ji, ... not Trema orientalis.
Have some views of T. orientalis at my photostream at flickr.
... http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=trema%20orientalis&w=91314344%40N00

Regards.

Divakar

Jul 2, 2010, 11:39:43 PM7/2/10
to efloraofindia
Dear karthick,
As you guess it could be a species of Grewia.
-Divakar

On Jul 2, 2:12 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rasingam ji, ... not *Trema orientalis*.
> Have some views of *T. orientalis *at my photostream at flickr.
> ...http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=trema%20orientalis&w=91314344%40N00
>
> Regards.
>
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM, L. Rasingam <rasi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Muthu Ji
>
> > This is *Trema orientalis* (Ulmaceae)
>
> > regards
> > L.Rasingam
>
> > On 2 July 2010 10:29, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> Forwarding again for Id assistance please.
> >> Some earlier relevant feedback:
> >> “... the leaves *remind me of Ziziphus oenoplia ... BUT cannot see the
> >> spines !!
> >> *Could be wrong.” from Dinesh ji.
>
> >> “Dinesh Ji the leaves do *look like Ziziphus oenoplia !! but the plant is
> >> spineless* even the young shoots have spines I have seen it .
> >> Tanay”
>
> >> “*Unlike Ziziphus oenoplia this is an unarmed tree*. Yet the leaf
> >> characters resemble Ziziphus oenoplia.” from Muthu ji.

Joshi Pankaj

Jul 3, 2010, 3:19:46 AM7/3/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman
M also agree with..this is not a Z.oenoplia, no armed?

Pankaj N. Joshi, Ph.D
Jr. Scientist
Gujarat Institute of Desert Ecology (GUIDE)
Post Box # 83, Opp. Changleshwar Temple,
Mundra Road, Bhuj- Kachchh
Gujarat: 370 001 (India)
Phone: +91 2832 235025, 329408; Fax: 235027
Cell: +91 94269 49523
Optional E-mail: pranav...@rediffmail.com

Jul 5, 2010, 12:41:18 AM7/5/10
to Joshi Pankaj, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear Muthu
I think that this could be Grewia hirsuta. U pls check with Arisdasan.

Regards
Senthilkumar U.
Senthilkumar U.
BSI & School of Ecology and Conservation,
University of Agricultural Sciences,
Bangalore-560 065.
Karnataka, India

Muthu Karthick

Jul 6, 2010, 9:23:17 AM7/6/10
to Senthilkumar, Joshi Pankaj, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, C KUNHIKANNAN, Vijayasankar Raman
Dear Senthilji,
G.hirsuta is a shrub and it have hirsute plant body; whereas the posted picture has nearly glabrous leaves and is a tree.

Kindly refer the following link for G. hirsuta.:

http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/b016e1dc47b70206/62970bfac88e59d8?lnk=gst&q=Grewia+hirsuta#62970bfac88e59d8

Muthu Karthick

Feb 28, 2011, 2:36:46 AM2/28/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
I am requesting the id of this tree once again with more pictures. Please help me. Any possibilities for this to be a Sapindaceae member?

Forwarded conversation
Subject: Tree for id 070610MK3
------------------------
----------

From: amol k l <akam...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 9:21 AM
To: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>

 Dear  Muthuji if you specimen, Why not you use the Plaskals Key, for tree species identification which was mainly based on Leaves & their characters .

--

----------
From: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM
To: amol k l <akam...@gmail.com>

Dear Amolji,
Right now I don't have that key for identifying. I need to wait for the flowers to open and then identify.
Thank you for highlighting.

----------
From: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 11:43 AM
To: tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com>
Cc: Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>, indiantreepix <indian...@googlegroups.com>

From: J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:29 AM
To: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com>, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>, C KUNHIKANNAN <kunhi...@gmail.com>, Vijayasankar Raman <vijay.b...@gmail.com>

From: L. Rasingam <ras...@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 2:16 PM
To: "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>
Cc: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>, Muthu Karthick <nmk...@gmail.com>, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com>, Dinesh Valke <dinesh...@gmail.com>, C KUNHIKANNAN <kunhi...@gmail.com>, Vijayasankar Raman <vijay.b...@gmail.com>

From: Divakar <divaka...@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM
To: efloraofindia <indian...@googlegroups.com>

#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

E 104.jpg
d 028.jpg
d 029.jpg
d 030.jpg
E 105.jpg
E 106.jpg
E 107.jpg
d 031.jpg
d 024.jpg
d 025.jpg
d 026.jpg
d 027.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Feb 28, 2011, 3:11:53 AM2/28/11
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Muthu ji ... are these all photographs of same tree - same time ?
... because some of the photos: d 024. jpg ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... give a strong impression of the Trema species, perhaps the charcoal tree, Trema orientalis ... me could be wrong !!

Regards.
Dinesh

Muthu Karthick

Feb 28, 2011, 3:35:56 AM2/28/11
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear all,
Sorry for not mentioning the details. The d 024 to d 31 were taken at Nilgiris Eastern slope area (12 Feb 2011; Alt: 400msl) and the pics E104-107 were taken at Mudumalai wls, TN (04 May 2010). But both the locations are at same river bank, with a gross distance of 30KM.

Yes, Dineshji the tree matches the descriptions of Trema orientalis.

Rashida Atthar

Feb 28, 2011, 6:18:22 AM2/28/11
to Muthu Karthick, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Yes, I too think it is Trema  orientalis.

regards,
Rashida.

Neil Soares

Feb 28, 2011, 8:05:58 AM2/28/11
to Muthu Karthick, Rashida Atthar, Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Hi,
 As Dinesh has mentioned you have possibly mixed-up the photographs. Granted that the leaves in some of the photographs look like those of Gol [Trema orientalis], but the flowers do not match.
                        With regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 28, 2011, 8:16:04 AM2/28/11
to Neil Soares, Muthu Karthick, Rashida Atthar, indiantreepix
Neil ji ... please consider the female flowers (me could be wrong) ... here, already in the fruiting stage ... the male flowers relatively (slightly) larger normally meet the eye.
Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Feb 28, 2011, 8:26:58 AM2/28/11
to Neil Soares, Muthu Karthick, Rashida Atthar, indiantreepix
... the set of first pictures E104-107 showing only leaves and branch, taken at Mudumalai WLS, do not seem to be of Trema.
Regards.
Dinesh.

Muthu Karthick

Sep 8, 2011, 7:09:01 AM9/8/11
to Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Rashida Atthar, indiantreepix
A reply:
Dear Sir
Greetings, your picture belongs to Trema orientalis which is a member
of family Ulmaceae very common in the riparian forests
Sincerely

R. Kottaimuthu

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 23, 2021, 8:21:48 AM7/23/21