Kashmir thistles and similar plants-9-Cirsium sp

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 23, 2010, 11:45:10 PM7/23/10
to efloraofindia
Cirsium sp. from Kashmir, growing along roadsides along Pampore Karewas. I was tempted to identify it as C. wallichii but the spines on leaves are shorter and involucre bracts different from C. wallichii photographed from Manali earlier: Photographed on June 20, 2010

http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/d07b00c13155a491/d07c4b53686e4d05?lnk=gst&q=Cirsium+wallichii#d07c4b53686e4d05

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cirsium-sp-Kashmir-a.jpg
Cirsium-sp-Kashmir-b.jpg
Cirsium-sp-Kashmir-c.jpg
Cirsium-sp-Kashmir-d.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 23, 2010, 11:56:36 PM7/23/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Sir Ji,
This plant reminds me of  Cirsium verutum (D.Don) Sprengel [Synonym: C. involucratum DC., Cnicus argyracanthus (DC.) C.B. Clarke].

regards
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 24, 2010, 12:01:44 AM7/24/10
to tanay bose, efloraofindia
Tanay
I have also been considering these two species. Although the flower colour is similar to C. verutum, the spines are much shorter and fewer and only at tips of leaf lobes. Please also note leaves are thicker and darker green in colour. Inner involucre bracts are broader with shorter spines.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Jul 24, 2010, 12:13:40 AM7/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
According to your description their is plant which may fit into the size i.e Cirsium edule
But I am not sure whether it's found in Kashmir !

Tanay

J.M. Garg

Sep 11, 2010, 5:29:30 AM9/11/10
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, tanay bose

Earlier relevant feedback:

“This plant reminds me of  Cirsium verutum (D.Don) Sprengel [Synonym: C. involucratum DC., Cnicus argyracanthus (DC.) C.B. Clarke].

regards
Tanay”

"I have also been considering these two species. Although the flower colour is similar to C. verutum, the spines are much shorter and fewer and only at tips of leaf lobes. Please also note leaves are thicker and darker green in colour. Inner involucre bracts are broader with shorter spines.
--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh"

"According to your description their is plant which may fit into the size i.e Cirsium edule
But I am not sure whether it's found in Kashmir !
Tanay"

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)