24052010VAI1 - Orchid for ID

Vijay Anand Ismavel

Apr 22, 2011, 12:16:00 PM4/22/11
to Indian Treepix
Location: Makunda Christian Hospital campus, Karimganj District, Assam

Date: 24th May 2010

This orchid flowers once a year and lives on a tree just opposite my home - request ID help.
Orchids-4A.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Apr 22, 2011, 4:05:20 PM4/22/11
to efloraofindia
This is not taken from correct angel. Please share front views and
views of stem and leaf. If I had to guess I would go for Dendrobium
moschatum.
but thats tentative,,,,
Pankaj
>  Orchids-4A.jpg
> 160KViewDownload

Vijay Anand Ismavel

Apr 23, 2011, 8:17:52 AM4/23/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks. I will post another photo of the stem and leaves - at present
there are no flowers. These flowers do not open any further.

Regards,

Vijay

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Apr 23, 2011, 10:31:27 AM4/23/11
to efloraofindia
Dendrobiums do display deformity one of which is not opening
completely. I will just need to see the lip, if any is present there
for that I need to have a front view. Please also check the leaves
and internode. Show me a picture of the tip of the leaf.

J.M. Garg

Aug 10, 2011, 7:32:14 AM8/10/11
to efloraofindia, Vijay Anand Ismavel, Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“This is not taken from correct angel. Please share front views and

views of stem and leaf. If I had to guess I would go for Dendrobium
moschatum.
but thats tentative,,,,

Pankaj”

“Thanks. I will post another photo of the stem and leaves - at present

there are no flowers. These flowers do not open any further.

Regards,

Vijay”

“Dendrobiums do display deformity one of which is not opening

completely. I will just need to see the lip, if any is present there
for that

I need to have a front view. Please also check the leaves
and internode. Show me a picture of the tip of the leaf
.” from Pankaj ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

Orchids-4A.jpg

Vijay Anand Ismavel

Aug 10, 2011, 11:42:48 PM8/10/11
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg, Dr. Pankaj Kumar
Dear friends,

Thanks for your interest in my query. I have attached 2 more photos of the same orchid taken in June this year. Hope this information is sufficient.

Regards,

Vijay

--- On Wed, 10/8/11, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Makunda Flowers-68B.jpg
Makunda Flowers-67B.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 10, 2011, 11:48:03 PM8/10/11
to Vijay Anand Ismavel, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Dendrobium moschatum.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate