Rhododendron for ID 300411MK1

Muthu Karthick

Apr 30, 2011, 3:32:34 AM4/30/11
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please help to id this Rhododendron found in a garden. I have also seen this plant in parts of Ooty, Nilgiris.

Date/Time-

09-04-2011 / 04:30 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

ca.2000asl; Kotagiri, TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

garden

Plant Habit-

shrub

Height/Length-

1 - 1.5 cm long

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

ca.8 x 3 cm; tomentose

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

red; c 8 cm long

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

not observed

Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 0091 96268 33911
www.careearthtrust.org

Rhododendron (1).jpg
Rhododendron.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Apr 30, 2011, 8:39:38 PM4/30/11
to efloraofindia
AZALEA>>>>.
usha di

On Apr 30, 12:32 pm, Muthu Karthick <nmk....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Please help to id this Rhododendron found in a garden. I have also seen this
> plant in parts of Ooty, Nilgiris.
>
>  *Date/Time-*
>
> 09-04-2011 / 04:30 PM
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GP*
>
> ca.2000asl; Kotagiri, TN
>
> *Habitat-** Garden**/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> garden
>
> *Plant Habit-*
> shrub
>
> *Height/Length-*
>
> 1 - 1.5 cm long
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*
>
> ca.8 x 3 cm; tomentose
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-*
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
>
> red; c 8 cm long
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- *
> not observed
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
>
> --
> Muthu Karthick, N
> Care Earth Trust
> #15, second main road,
> Thillai ganga nagar,
> Chennai - 600 061
> Mob: 0091 96268 33911www.careearthtrust.org
>
>  Rhododendron (1).jpg
> 203KViewDownload
>
>  Rhododendron.jpg
> 203KViewDownload

J.M. Garg

Aug 14, 2011, 3:15:28 AM8/14/11
to efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, promila chaturvedi, Ushadi micromini, Muthu Karthick, ras...@gmail.com, npba...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, brsp...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“AZALEA>>>>.
usha di”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1680 members & 75,000 messages on 31/7/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of more than 5000 species)

Rhododendron (1).jpg
Rhododendron.jpg

ushadi Micromini

Aug 14, 2011, 6:48:34 AM8/14/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, promila chaturvedi, Muthu Karthick, ras...@gmail.com, npba...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, brsp...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com
The above table though commendable effort,
 is typed up wrong ....  very wrong ...

I don't believe that this flower is 8cm long...

and the height of the shrub only 1-1.5 cms....

 that's what its reading in this table of data...
PLEASE CORRECT IT>>> SUBMIT CORRECT DATA>>>>

sorry, cant make heads or tails of this table
Usha di

Muthu Karthick

Aug 16, 2011, 3:36:01 AM8/16/11
to ushadi Micromini, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, dinesh...@gmail.com, mani....@gmail.com, tab...@gmail.com, jnur...@gmail.com, hsb...@gmail.com, swamy...@yahoo.com, promila chaturvedi, ras...@gmail.com, npba...@gmail.com, vsrb...@gmail.com, kunhi...@gmail.com, brsp...@gmail.com, maha...@gmail.com, kalida...@gmail.com, altha...@gmail.com
I am sorry, the size of flower is about 8cm across and not the length. This is a cultivar perhaps.

Ushadi micromini

Aug 16, 2011, 4:48:05 PM8/16/11
to efloraofindia, Muthu Karthick, J. M. Garg
This is still an azalea...
exact binomial would depend on proper id of the hybrid, and then
cultivar... azaleas have been hybridized for a few hundred years,
first in Japan, China, and then in England and the North
Americas.... names, cultivars
USED TO BE IN A GENUS OF ITS OWN, BUT IS NOW INCLUDED IN
RHODODENDRON...

leaves and flowers and seedpods when develops (which is now rare in
garden plants of the two) are all distinctly different... Taxonomy
texts should be able to list the difference...

Two broad groups of AZALEAS are sold...1) a deciduous that is
leafless thru the winter and 2) an evergreen variety that keeps its
leaves even under the snow ...

The color as shown above is a common color of the garden variety
Azalea ... planted everywhere where greenery and a little color is
wanted such as edges of large lawns, foundations of the homes as a
cover to hide the cement walls, and in Georgia and both Carolinas in
large dedicated gardens... Calloway garden comes to mind in
Georgiia ... famous for its walks lined by hundreds of (by now 5-8
feet tall) plants of many different colors and cultivars...

At my last count a few years ago there were more than 80 books devoted
to Azaleas only (not including the Rhododendrons, which a different
matter altogether) ...

hope this helps

Usha di
======