Fruits & Vegetables Week: Foeniculum vulgare from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2011, 12:52:43 AM1/5/11
to efloraofindia
Foeniculum vulgare from Delhi, Fennel or saunf plant

It may be confused with Anethum sowa but has larger lighter coloured flowers, few in an umbel, stems thicker, lighter in colour often somewhat glaucous, fruits larger and broader, lighter in colour. I am uploading it along with comparison photographs.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Foeniculum-vulgare-flower.jpg
Foeniculum-vulgare-fruit.jpg
Anethum-right-Foeniculum-left-Delhi-1.jpg
Anethum-right-Foeniculum-left-Delhi-2.jpg
Anethum-right-Foeniculum-left-Delhi-3.jpg

tanay bose

Jan 5, 2011, 12:54:46 AM1/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
One of my favorite spices
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2011, 1:00:10 AM1/5/11
to tanay bose, efloraofindia

I wish some one corrects me. The sowa plant we grow in Delhi and known as Anethum sowa depicted above and also in separate post  does not have typical wings of Dill (Anethum graveolens). This has always been confusing me. The sowa leaves have more sharper taste as compared to pleasing softer taste of fennel, and ripe fruits are almost black in colour as compared to almost green in fennel.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

nabha meghani

Jan 5, 2011, 7:09:59 AM1/5/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Hallo all,
we eat here (germany) Fenchel which is Foeniculum vulgare    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennel
The leaves (Dill) are used mainly with Cucurbita  (tambda Bhopla in Marathi). Unfortunately i did not make a foto of  Cucurbita  from my garden this year. Now it is in the deep freeze. I shall go in the market today or tomorrow to get the fotos of Fenchel. We eat it raw, in salad etc. Very tasty and opne of my favorites.

Prof. Singh ji,
I can't answer any of your questions. my botany knowledge is ZERO.

Regards
Nalini