24032011pj1 Id request

PUTTARAJU K

Mar 23, 2011, 9:19:30 PM3/23/11
to indiantreepix
Deal all,

Pl find attached

Date/Time-: 12/03/11 - 09:45

Location- Place, Altitude - Kaiga , Uttar Kannada ,Karnataka, 380 mtrs

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- treer

Height/Length-4-5m

With Regards,
PUTTARAJU K,
SCIENTIFIC OFFICER,
KAIGA ATOMIC POWER PLANT,
POST-KAIGA, U.K.DISTRICT,
KARNATAKA -581400
MOB : 9448999150
EMAIL : pakshir...@gmail.com
kputt...@npcil.co.in

DSC_0357.JPG

Vijayasankar

Mar 24, 2011, 11:47:18 AM3/24/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Gliricidia sepium, I think.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Yazdy Palia

Mar 26, 2011, 11:44:36 AM3/26/11
to Vijayasankar, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
I agree, it looks like gliricidia Sepium.
Regards
Yazdy.

snehal patel

Mar 26, 2011, 12:20:43 PM3/26/11
to Yazdy Palia, Vijayasankar, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
please follow the proper rules while typing the botanical names.........
see how the highlighted name is writtne wrong botanically

The generic names should always starts with capital initial and specific epithet should always starts with small letter. And the names should be in Italics.

please take this email positively.

Ushadi micromini

Mar 26, 2011, 1:11:33 PM3/26/11
to efloraofindia, ushadi Micromini
Dear MS. Patel:

" The generic names should always starts with capital initial and
specific
epithet should always starts with small letter.".......

I agree, so will the entire scientific community...... not only in
this group but other biological groups....

"And the names should be in Italics."......
w..ee..lll, there is room for leniency and doubts...... esp. where
formatting of typing is not available....

and your own write up of march 2nd , 5.57pm.....
DOES NOT follow your own stated rule......

Mind you, I did NOT go looking for this example just so that I could
argue,
I just happen to be browsing and something drew my attention,
to a funny discrepancy in one person's own write up within a short
time.....

"please take this email positively."
I hope for the same from you, take it as a friendly pattern
recognition on my part....
I am a newbie here, and still buoyant from reading Dr. Gurucharan
Singh's
essay on Why I love eflora.......
so the above message struck me as a bit odd....

((snehal patel
More options Mar 2, 5:57 pm
From: snehal patel <snehal.patel...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 18:27:37 +0530
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:63882] Re: Mangrove fruits for ID-280211-
PKA2

100 % this is Ipomoea violacea, a mangrove associate plant.

please note your own write up of the botanical name is not in
italics......

regards,
Usha Desai MD

On Mar 26, 9:20 pm, snehal patel <snehal.patel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> please follow the proper rules while typing the botanical names.........
> see how the highlighted name is writtne wrong botanically
>
> The generic names should always starts with capital initial and specific
> epithet should always starts with small letter. And the names should be in
> Italics.
>
> please take this email positively.
>
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 9:14 PM, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I agree, it looks like gliricidia Sepium.
> > Regards
> > Yazdy.
>
> > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Gliricidia sepium, I think.
>
> > > Regards
>
> > > Vijayasankar Raman
> > > National Center for Natural Products Research
> > > University of Mississippi

Message has been deleted

Ushadi micromini

Mar 26, 2011, 2:06:52 PM3/26/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Puttaraju ji:
Beautiful flowers....
Pink bean like flowers on small trees, with branches growing oddly
straight up from the trunk, and small leaves just starting to
sprout...
seemed to be pinnate.. This spring, I just happen to "discover" this
gorgeous pink
tree growing in multiple stretches along paddy fields and road side
in
West Bengal in a region between Uluberia and Gadiara, which is on
the
bank of river Hooghly/Bhagirathi meets Damodar ... so at sea level,
in fertile
black soil....(googled info says Roopnarayan river meets too, but I
have not
found it, in reality, nor on any modern map)
not knowing the scientific nor the colloquial name of my beautiful
find (nobody) in the
neighborhood knew the name.... and not being a botanist... I had a
hard time
ID ing it.... and that's how I discovered eflora group... and
it was exhilarating to track down name, uses, ethnobotany of this
tree...
my first Gliricidia sepium.

I will always remember this tree fondly, and next time I'll take
careful pictures...
Please convey this message to Mr. JM Garg.. for starting this group
and to all those
who have sustained it....I still have not learnt all the secrets of
navigation for group
to be able to find individual email id...

Regards,
Usha di
> EMAIL : pakshirajka...@gmail.com
>              kputtar...@npcil.co.in
>
>  DSC_0357.JPG
> 275KViewDownload

Yazdy Palia

Mar 27, 2011, 1:36:39 AM3/27/11
to snehal patel, Vijayasankar, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Dear Snehal Patel ji,
Thanks for correcting me. I am not a botanist and as such am not aware
of these codes. That though is no excuse for such mistakes. I should
either learn them or slowly fade out of the group. I think am already
not very regular as am not able to find much time. I have however
always enjoyed learning and contributing in whatever little way, I
could.
Regards
Yazdy.

formp...@yahoo.com

Mar 27, 2011, 3:33:14 AM3/27/11
to Yazdy Palia, Efloraindia, snehal patel, Vijayasankar, PUTTARAJU K
Dear sirji,
Its bad gut feeling I get now a days whenever with a very little time in hand I open my mail box. What Yatzyji has written we may loose him too. Aanadji anyway has reduced his interactions. Pl take care of the group.
Thanks
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Vijayasankar

Mar 27, 2011, 3:47:44 AM3/27/11
to indiatreepix
Forwarding again to the group, after seeing Madhuri ji's reaction:

Dear Snehal ji,

I appreciate your concern in writing botanical names in proper format.
But, as you may aware, our group is not a full-fledged taxonomical group, and our members are from various fields. All our members are experts in their own field. They all discuss here and contribute just because they are interested in plants. So we can not expect that everyone should follow the ICBN rules. Do you think that just writing in italics make a name perfect? What about authority for names? Do we write names with full author citation all the time? Let us follow these regulations while writing eflora. You are most welcome to comment and correct any errors but without hurting anyone's feelings. Instead of 'finding faults' and using harsh words such as 'wrong' we can make it more polite. I have learnt many plants from non-botanist members such as Yazdy ji and their interactions are very valuable for the group.

I am just expressing what i felt. It is not an attempt to make the issue big. Please take it positively.

Dear Snehal ji,

I appreciate your concern in writing botanical names in proper format.
But, as you may aware, our group is not a full-fledged taxonomical group, and our members are from various fields. All our members are experts in their own field. They all discuss here and contribute just because they are interested in plants. So we can not expect that everyone should follow the ICBN rules. Do you think that just writing in italics make a name perfect? What about authority for names? Do we write names with full author citation all the time? Let us follow these regulations while writing eflora. You are most welcome to comment and correct any errors but without hurting anyone's feelings. Instead of using harsh words such as 'wrong' we can make it more polite. I have learnt many plants from non-botanist members such as Yazdy ji and their interactions are very valuable for the group.

I am just expressing what i felt. It is not an attempt to make the issue big. Please take it positively.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 27, 2011, 6:13:19 AM3/27/11
to Vijayasankar, Yazdy Palia, snehal patel, indiatreepix
Yazy ji
First of all accept my apologies that you have to face such comments. You are perhaps more qualified to stay on the group than many of us. So please never give a thought to "fading away from the group".

Perhaps my writing things in a polite tone has not had the desired affect. Our new colleagues have to learn how to communicate in the group, which has more than 80 per cent non-botanists, and less than 10 percent taxonomists. Perhaps they contribute more to the group than many of us, and we should learn to reciprocate. We are not here not to teach taxonomy to people. Our aim is to help in identification for people who have interest photography and nature. Please don't underestimate their role.
     Snehal ji, you have done this thrice in last one month, insulting members who are much senior to you in both age and experience. I hope you won't repeat that in future.
      Teaching others about the rules of taxonomy, just look at your three or four lines, and see how many simple mistakes in English you have made.
      Let me repeat we are here not to teach or find faults with others. Just spread goodwill, share knowledge and help in creating good atmosphere in the group.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

formp...@yahoo.com

Mar 27, 2011, 9:39:24 AM3/27/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Efloraindia, Vijayasankar, Yazdy Palia, snehal patel
Thanks sirji.

From: Gurcharan Singh <sing...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 15:43:19 +0530
To: Vijayasankar<vijay.b...@gmail.com>; Yazdy Palia<yazdy...@gmail.com>; snehal patel<snehal....@gmail.com>
Cc: indiatreepix<indian...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [efloraofindia:65780] 24032011pj1 Id request

Yazdy Palia

Mar 27, 2011, 9:53:11 AM3/27/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, snehal patel, indiatreepix
Thank you Dr. Gurcharan Singh ji and all friends who have shown so
much affection. I must mention here in the first place, that I have
not for a moment taken the remarks of Snehal ji badly. I am fully
aware from my experience with people that those who take their
subject seriously normally are offended when others who are not so
well qualified handle the subject in what appears to be a cavalier
fashion. She is justified in thinking so because she is a serious
student of botany and is devoted to botany.
Having said that, I assure you that I will not leave the group that
has so much to offer. So much affection, so much of patience, so much
of knowledge. I have one request, please do not feel offended with
Snehal ji, am sure she has a lot to offer to the group. we all commit
mistakes and we all learn from it. Thank you all. Regards.
Yazdy.

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 27, 2011, 11:11:52 AM3/27/11
to Yazdy Palia, Vijayasankar, snehal patel, indiatreepix
Yazdy ji
I appreciate your approach to life, and willingness to forget all. At the same time we must all agree that this forum is meant for extension of our hobby to explore nature and photography, and all of us want it to be a pleasant experience. There are many on the group who want to be perfect, but in such a large forum all of us have to keep within norms, respect each other, and not to point mistakes with show of disrespect. If things become free for all, none of us will enjoy the interactions. As I wrote earlier also, taxonomists form a small minority on this group, and while interacting on this group they should realize the limitations of others who are spreading their love for plants. English is such a refined language and it is the duty of all seniors that this refinement is passed on to the young colleagues.
     I am often astonished by level of knowledge and humility shown by people like you, Neil ji, Dinesh ji, Garg ji, Satish Phadke ji. Let young colleagues learn some of the good things from these great personalities.
     Finding fault is the easiest thing in the world, but more difficult is the art of expressing it. Let us learn it and not offend others.

Smita Raskar

Mar 27, 2011, 11:40:11 AM3/27/11
to Gurcharan Singh, Yazdy Palia, Vijayasankar, snehal patel, indiatreepix
I also appreciate approach of Yazdi......  gr8,matured one,understanding matters,
he has shown her mistake still appreciated her knowledge and dedication for her subject....
thats the way thats the way of correcting our youngsters, otherwise how and from whom will they learn?
i am not saying Snehal is correct but why other, elder members are repeating her mistakes?
--
Smita raskar
308 Disha Residency,

Smilax004

Mar 27, 2011, 1:37:22 PM3/27/11
to efloraofindia
This is Gliricidia sepium of Fabaceae family.

Regards,
Giby

On Mar 24, 6:19 am, PUTTARAJU K <pakshirajka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> EMAIL : pakshirajka...@gmail.com
>              kputtar...@npcil.co.in
>
>  DSC_0357.JPG
> 275KViewDownload

formp...@yahoo.com

Mar 27, 2011, 1:45:55 PM3/27/11
to Yazdy Palia, Efloraindia, Gurcharan Singh, Vijayasankar, snehal patel
Thank you )azdy ji,
Let all of us have the same spirit.
Ignore the harsh comments and continue to work as always.
Long live eflora and all founder members.
Madhuri
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Please keep the general good health and good communication among us.
We shall point out mistakes generously.
Because kind words always keep warm relationship as well.
Yazdy ji we all need your support and experience with plants.

Regards,
Giby
> >   On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Yazdy Palia <yazdypa...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Dear Snehal Patel ji,
> >> Thanks for correcting me. I am not a botanist and as such am not aware
> >> of these codes. That though is no excuse for such mistakes. I should
> >> either learn them or slowly fade out of the group. I think am already
> >> not very regular as am not able to find much time. I have however
> >> always enjoyed learning and contributing in whatever little way, I
> >> could.
> >> Regards
> >> Yazdy.

> >> in

> >> vijay.botan...@gmail.com>

> >> pakshirajka...@gmail.com>

> >> mtrs

Ushadi micromini

Mar 28, 2011, 2:32:38 AM3/28/11
to efloraofindia
Yazdy Palia
to me, Vijayasankar, itpmods, snehal

show details 7:26 PM (16 hours ago)

Dear Yazdi ji: Thanks for responding.... and I am glad....
Usha di.

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 2:34 PM, ushadi Micromini
<micromi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Vijayshankar ji and Yazdy ji: Both of you had wonderful
as you put it) eflora... I have just joined eflora and am looking
forward to learning and having fun at the same time... important
valuable contributors like should not fade out.

Best regards, Usha di--

====
from Yazdy Palia <yazdy...@gmail.com>
to ushadi Micromini <micromi...@gmail.com>
cc Vijayasankar <vijay.b...@gmail.com>,
itp...@googlegroups.com,
snehal patel <snehal....@gmail.com>
date Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM
subject Re: [efloraofindia:65728] 24032011pj1 Id request *
mailed-by gmail.com
signed-by gmail.com

hide details 7:26 PM (16 hours ago)

Dear Ushadi ji,
Many thanks for the concern and affection, I will not fade away that
soon. I will be around. Thank you.
Regards
Yazdy.

===

kalidass Chinnamadasamy

Mar 28, 2011, 4:53:53 AM3/28/11
to PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Dear all,

It's may be Mundulea sericea. please find the seed pods.

KALIDASS

manudev madhavan

Apr 1, 2011, 12:40:00 AM4/1/11
to kalidass Chinnamadasamy, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Dear all,

how to distinguish G.sepium from G. maculata???

--
Manudev K Madhavan
Junior Research Fellow

Yazdy Palia

Apr 1, 2011, 2:49:27 AM4/1/11
to manudev madhavan, kalidass Chinnamadasamy, PUTTARAJU K, indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
A link describing G sepium in detail. Shall try to get a link on G maculata too.
http://www.fao.org/ag/AGP/AGPC/doc/Gbase/DATA/Pf000156.HTM
Could not locate anything in detail on G maculata, however, the
introduction in this link speaks of a white coloured flower.
Let our experts decide.
Regards
Yazdy.