CORDIA SEBESTENA

Col Bimal Sarkar

Aug 12, 2011, 9:46:47 AM8/12/11

Dear Friend,
                    I saw Cordia sebastina ( Scarlet Cordia ),for the first time at Narendrapur,near Kolkata.Forest department has planted quite a number of the plant on the road side,here at Cooch Behar.It is a treat to see the scarlet colour flowers in clusters  This is what D V cowen says about the plant in her book FLOWERING TREES AND SHRUBS IN INDIA
   " We have many indigenous Cordias in India,but the loveliest of them has its home in the Caribbean Islands and the northern coast of South America,and was imported to this country and Sri Lanka and the Philippines many years ago because of its ornamental value.----------------Here we find the Scarlet Cordia as a small tree or garden shrub,but in its native haunts,in the sandy,sun-baked conditions it loves, it can reach 12 m. "
   Attaching two images of the plant.
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942