please id the plant of bauhinia

prasanna gogate

Apr 5, 2011, 7:09:16 AM4/5/11
to efloraofindia, Avinash
dear all
it species of Bauhinia
collected from dapoli/ratnagiri/maharashtra
habit------------tree
leaf-----107mm  X 70mm
pedicel---------44.80mm
pod-------------300mm
seed-------------
thickness-----3.20mm
length-------6.44mm

seeds are chocolaty.floss is covered with soft cover. please help in ID

DSC02991.JPG
DSC02984.JPG
DSC02997.JPG

Satish Chile

Apr 5, 2011, 7:38:06 AM4/5/11
to prasanna gogate, efloraofindia, Avinash
This may be Bauhinia purpurea
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

shrikant ingalhalikar

Apr 6, 2011, 8:19:40 PM4/6/11
to efloraofindia
The seeds seem to be ovoid and not flat. If the leaves are 7-9 nerved
this could be B. malabarica and if they are 15-17 nerved this could be
B. foveolata. Are the pods purplish red? Is the plant in a wild
habitat? I can barely see that leaves are 7-9 nerved. Pls provide this
information for ID. Regards,
>  DSC02991.JPG
> 201KViewDownload
>
>  DSC02984.JPG
> 261KViewDownload
>
>  DSC02997.JPG
> 191KViewDownload

rajank

Apr 7, 2011, 7:46:20 AM4/7/11
to efloraofindia
Author is requested to provide photo of lvs to confirm the sps.

it looks be B. purpurea from dia.

rajank

J.M. Garg

Jul 16, 2011, 3:43:00 AM7/16/11
to efloraofindia, chile...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, prasanna gogate

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“This may be Bauhinia purpurea
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile”

“The seeds seem to be ovoid and not flat. If the leaves are 7-9 nerved

this could be B. malabarica and if they are 15-17 nerved this could be
B. foveolata.

Are the pods purplish red? Is the plant in a wild

habitat? I can barely see that leaves are 7-9 nerved. Pls provide this

information for ID” from Shrikant ji.

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1630 members & 73,000 messages on 30/6/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

DSC02991.JPG
DSC02984.JPG
DSC02997.JPG

H S

Jul 16, 2011, 4:24:23 AM7/16/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, chile...@gmail.com, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, prasanna gogate
pls check with Bauhinia malabarica

regards
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Smilax004

Jul 16, 2011, 5:41:41 AM7/16/11
to efloraofindia
I too stand for B. malabarica.
Please taste the leaf and see whether it is sour in taste, though some
other Bauhinia leaves also taste sour, leaves of B. malabarica has a
"high degree" of sour taste compare to all other species. The
malayalam name for this species is Aarampuli (puli in Malayalam/Tamil
means 'sour).

Further, to confirm we need to have flowers!

Please check the same @
http://www.flowersofindia.in/catalog/slides/Malabar%20Bauhinia.html

Regards
Giby

On Jul 16, 12:43 pm, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise please.
>
> Some earlier relevant feedback:
> “This *may be Bauhinia purpurea *
> --
> Dr. Satish Kumar Chile”
>
> “The seeds seem to be ovoid and not flat. If the leaves are 7-9 nerved
> this *could be B. malabarica* and if they are 15-17 nerved this could be
> B. foveolata. *Are the pods purplish red? Is the plant in a wild
> habitat? I can barely see that leaves are 7-9 nerved. Pls provide this
> information for ID*” from Shrikant ji.

prasanna gogate

Jul 16, 2011, 7:32:28 AM7/16/11
to Smilax004, efloraofindia
DEAR ALL THIS IS CONFORM B.malabarica. id done by shrikant ji
--
regards,
PRASANNA PADMAKAR GOGATE

C/O SUHAS GOVILKAR