Request for identification - 03012011PC2

chitralekha P

Jan 3, 2011, 10:19:55 AM1/3/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Please identify this euphorbiaceae member.
Cultivated, photographed on side of Lodi road, New Delhi.
P.Chitralekha

DSC02037.JPG
DSC02038.JPG

Pankaj Kumar

Jan 3, 2011, 10:23:28 AM1/3/11
to chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
This should be Pedilanthes sp.
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Vijayasankar

Jan 3, 2011, 6:10:39 PM1/3/11
to Pankaj Kumar, chitralekha P, indian...@googlegroups.com
Otherwise, this could be Synadenium grantii of the same family (Euphorbiaceae). If this is correct, then i would like to know why it is cultivated. It is not an ornamental plant i feel. I used to think this is an obnoxious, fast spreading weed. It is also said to be 'very poisonous' (http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week344.shtml).

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Chitralekha

Jan 4, 2011, 8:25:07 AM1/4/11
to efloraofindia
It is part of the effort to green Delhi during the common wealth
games. The entire stretch bordering Lodi road is covered with these
plants.
Chitralekha

On Jan 4, 4:10 am, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Otherwise, this could be *Synadenium grantii *of the same family
> (Euphorbiaceae). If this is correct, then i would like to know why it is
> cultivated. It is not an ornamental plant i feel. I used to think this is an
> obnoxious, fast spreading weed. It is also said to be 'very poisonous' (http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week344.shtml).
>
> Regards

> Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
> Post Doctoral Research Associate
> National Center for Natural Products Research
> Thad Cochran Research Center
> University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
> Phone: +1 662 915 1018
>

> On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Pankaj Kumar <sahanipan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This should be Pedilanthes sp.
> > Pankaj
>
> > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 8:49 PM, chitralekha P <p_chitrale...@yahoo.co.in>
> > wrote:
> > > Please identify this euphorbiaceae member.
> > > Cultivated, photographed on side of Lodi road, New Delhi.
> > > P.Chitralekha
>
> > --
> > "TAXONOMISTS GETTING EXTINCT AND SPECIES DATA DEFICIENT !!"
>
> > Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
> > Research Associate
> > Greater Kailash Sacred Landscape Project
> > Department of Habitat Ecology
> > Wildlife Institute of India
> > Post Box # 18
> > Dehradun - 248001, India- Hide quoted text -

Vijayasankar

Jan 4, 2011, 11:57:57 AM1/4/11
to Chitralekha, efloraofindia
Thanks for the information, Chitralekha ji.
I request members to confirm the id as well as to share their observations on this plant.
Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Muthu Karthick

Jan 5, 2011, 2:57:38 AM1/5/11
to Vijayasankar, Chitralekha, efloraofindia
For me also this looks more like Synadenium grantii Hook.f. of Euphorbiaceae.
This shrub is extensively utilized for Fencing garden and households.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
#15, second main road,
Thillai ganga nagar,
Chennai - 600 061
Mob: 09626833911
www.careearthtrust.org

Gurcharan Singh

Jan 5, 2011, 11:10:50 AM1/5/11
to Muthu Karthick, Vijayasankar, Chitralekha, efloraofindia
Yes it is Synadenium grantii, also grown in our College botanical garden. Incidently I saw it lot growing wild while travelling from Bangalore to Oooty, growing along road sides, much taller than we find it in Delhi.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Vijayasankar

Chitralekha

Jan 6, 2011, 7:59:41 AM1/6/11
to efloraofindia
Thanks everyone for the identification. It seems to be a hardy plant
that does not require much water; may be that is why it is being grown
so extensively. Does it also show allelopathy? I see no weeds growing
any where near it?
Chitralekha