Flowers and Trees from Uttarakhan​d-ID requested_​DS24052011​_SN1

Dalia Set

May 24, 2011, 5:14:04 AM5/24/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Friends

Requesting ID for few more trees - in Uttarakhand, Kakragad , 50 KM from Rudraprayag.
During my visit in April 2011 for a bird watching trip, our guide told me that birds are very fond of these fruits. Incidentally there was no leaf on the tree at that time.

Please help with ID.

Thanks
Dalia
ForID13_Kakragad.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

May 24, 2011, 6:18:08 AM5/24/11
to Dalia Set, indian...@googlegroups.com
My wildest guess Aesculus indica. It is unusual to see flower buds before leaves but then at that altitude, it could be expected.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Dalia Set

May 24, 2011, 6:26:25 AM5/24/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Gurcharan ji

I suppose these are not the flower buds but these are the fruits or berries.

Dalia

Gurcharan Singh

May 24, 2011, 6:52:15 AM5/24/11
to Dalia Set, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hard to belive. I thought some young leaves are trying to emerge. Won't do that if fruits are already formed. It would be interesting to solve the mystery.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Neil Soares

May 24, 2011, 6:53:42 AM5/24/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dalia Set
Hi,
 These are the fruit of Sapium insigne locally called Chicada.
                        Regards,
                          Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

May 24, 2011, 7:26:10 AM5/24/11
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dalia Set
Neil ji
I think you are right. Dalia ji your using name Rudraprayag (3500 m) confused me. By the way what is the altitude of Kakragad, as this species rarely ascend higher than 1800 m. Yes the tree flowers in January-February when the tree is leafless, and the fruits are expected by April. This may not happen in Rudraprayag area where flowering season does not start before April-May.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 24, 2011, 12:03:09 PM5/24/11
to efloraofindia
Sapium insigne lo of now in fruiting these days jus ton way to
Mussorie.
Pankaj

On May 24, 4:26 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neil ji
> I think you are right. Dalia ji your using name Rudraprayag (3500 m)
> confused me. By the way what is the altitude of Kakragad, as this species
> rarely ascend higher than 1800 m. Yes the tree flowers in January-February
> when the tree is leafless, and the fruits are expected by April. This may
> not happen in Rudraprayag area where flowering season does not start before
> April-May.
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  These are the fruit of Sapium insigne locally called Chicada.
> >                         Regards,
> >                           Neil Soares.

Dr Pankaj Kumar

May 24, 2011, 12:05:13 PM5/24/11
to efloraofindia
Its there on the lower elevations of Rudraprayag on the road side.
Pankaj

Neil Soares

May 24, 2011, 12:50:23 PM5/24/11
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dalia Set
Thank you Prof. Singh. Please check this link for some of my photographs of this:

                               Regards,
                                Neil Soares.

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 27, 2012, 8:38:04 AM4/27/12
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dalia Set
Thanks Neil ji
My earlier mistake (wild guess) helped solve the identity of this tree very common in Uttaranchal in Naintal, Almora, Ranikhet, kausani area. I was just about to upload it for ID, when I thought about Aesculus indica (which I know very well), I had photographed in Ranikhet area, and search in our group led me to this thread.

Thanks once again, no mistaking now., but yes wild guesses will continue, they help to activate others.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Dalia Set

Apr 30, 2012, 11:46:20 PM4/30/12
to Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thrilled to have such a nice discussion. Thanks all.

Dalia

ushadi Micromini

May 1, 2012, 12:43:10 AM5/1/12
to Dalia Set, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
ALL this discussion, But now I cant see the original post nor the pictures... where did they all go?
Usha di
==
--
Usha di
===========

Samir Mehta

May 1, 2012, 1:44:48 AM5/1/12
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dalia Set, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares
Here's a Wedge-tailed Pigeon who I saw feeding (or rather gorging) on the fruit of Sapium insigne near about the same place, same time.

Regards,

Samir Mehta
Pigeon, Wedge tailed green, female @ Kakdagad IMG_2674.jpg
Pigeon, Wedge tailed green, female @ Kakdagad IMG_2677.jpg

ushadi Micromini

May 1, 2012, 2:05:58 AM5/1/12
to Samir Mehta, indian...@googlegroups.com, Dalia Set, Gurcharan Singh, Neil Soares
thanks Samir now i  at least see the seeds of this tree
usha di

=
--
Usha di