Fwd: The flowering palm

J.M. Garg

Apr 12, 2011, 2:10:28 AM4/12/11
to efloraofindia, L. Shyamal

Forwarding for Id assistance please.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: L. Shyamal <lshy...@gmail.com>
Date: 12 April 2011 11:06
Subject: The flowering palm
To: pal...@gmail.com, "J.M. Garg" <jmg...@gmail.com>

Picture of the flowering palm (which looked like Corypha)  on
Cambridge Road, Bangalore.

best wishes
Shyamal

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1580 members & 66,000 messages on 30/3/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 4500 species)

Palm.jpg

Mahadeswara

Apr 12, 2011, 7:21:56 AM4/12/11
to efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Looking at the floral crown I think it is Corypha umbraculifera
(Talipot palm). The tree dies after the flowering is over.

On Apr 12, 11:10 am, "J.M. Garg" <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Forwarding for Id assistance please.

Yazdy Palia

Apr 12, 2011, 7:41:40 AM4/12/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, L. Shyamal
Dear friends,
I think Madeshwara ji is right, it is Corypha umbraculifera. Please
refer the link below.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corypha_umbraculifera
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

Vijayadas D

Apr 12, 2011, 8:23:28 AM4/12/11
to Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, L. Shyamal
In Malayalam - Kudappana , and there are some places in Trivandrum named after this- Kudappanakunnu , Kudappanamoodu.
     kunnu means hill and moodu means  part of the shoot just above ground

--
Vijayadas
Electro Saudi Services Ltd.

Muthu Karthick

Apr 20, 2011, 2:25:37 AM4/20/11
to Vijayadas D, Yazdy Palia, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, L. Shyamal
Yes it is Talipot, one of the largest inflorescence in the world.
--
Muthu Karthick, N
Care Earth Trust
#15, second main road,