Acanthaceae Week: Squirrel's tail - Justicia betonica, a native weed plant

raghu ananth

Jun 7, 2011, 12:56:54 PM6/7/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Squirrel's tail  - Hill Justicia, Justicia betonica, a native weed plant of India

While Scanning through my wasp photo collection, I  soon realized this particular flowering plant ..Squirrel's tail  - Justicia betonica.. (Thanks to Dr. Neil for the ID help.,) had attracted at least a dozen kind of wasps ( few bees too). Dreaming of a wasp garden in my home, I collected few young one's with roots  along with few other wasp plants & planted them in  my home ground. A week later.. I found all of them breathing. Still Alive.... Three weeks later .. the squirrel tails had disappeared altogether.
My sightings suggests they are found along the canal & lake edge habitat.  These plants start emerging just before the South West Monsoon commences and are in found in abundance in this habitat  till the spring ends.

Chandagal village, Krishnarajanagar, Mysore district.
Weed plant
Habitat:  along the canal and lake edges

Few of my South Indian wasp pictures,

/* Birds, reptiles, mammals and insects – I have a tremendous liking for all of them. These wasp photographs have been taken in their natural habitats mainly on the village outskirts and a few in the forests as well. (collection started from 2004 onwards). I love these creatures for they are beautiful with true colour combinations and patterns , beautiful pair of antenna and for the way they keep their steps with elegance, graceful pivoting around the flowers, moving its feelers, flying from one flower to another and feeding on nectar. They have very interesting behaviour - choosing the thatched roof for building nests, collecting clay from nearby waterbodies, Buzzing and flying into home from the window/open doors, nest building skills (of certain wasps), flying with larvaes into nests and sometimes paralysing spiders and dragging into nests, closing the entrance of the nest.... Though, there are many stories on wasp attacks among villagers 9mainly when disturbed),  I  thank them for allowing me always to take few pictures in close proximities.
*/

Regards
Raghu
Chennai

DSC_7826.jpg
WaspPlantSet1.jpg
WaspPlantSet2.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Jun 7, 2011, 10:59:10 PM6/7/11
to raghu ananth, efloraofindia
Dear Raghu ji:

I an in total awe...
we ( I ) generally run far from wasps ( I have allergic reactions to
some wqaasp and bee stings)...

but wonder of wonders... great photos on your picassa album....
awesome and inspiring... they are crisp, beautifully done.... seems
you took time to focus etc... spent time near each of the
stingers...

and this particular justicia, i have never seen one in this part of
india.... striking green veins..
usha di
=====

On Jun 7, 9:56 pm, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Squirrel's tail  - Hill Justicia, Justicia betonica, a native weed plant of
> India
>
> While Scanning through my wasp photo collection, I  soon realized this
> particular flowering plant ..Squirrel's tail  - Justicia betonica.. (Thanks to
> Dr. Neil for the ID help.,) had attracted at least a dozen kind of wasps ( few
> bees too). Dreaming of a wasp garden in my home, I collected few young one's
> with roots  along with few other wasp plants & planted them in  my home ground.
> A week later.. I found all of them breathing. Still Alive.... Three weeks later
> .. the squirrel tails had disappeared altogether.
> My sightings suggests they are found along the canal & lake edge habitat.  These
> plants start emerging just before the South West Monsoon commences and are in
> found in abundance in this habitat  till the spring ends.
>
> Chandagal village, Krishnarajanagar, Mysore district.
> Weed plant
> Habitat:  along the canal and lake edges
>

> Few of my South Indian wasp pictures,http://picasaweb.google.com/earthsublime/WorldOfWasps

> /* Birds, reptiles, mammals and insects – I have a tremendous liking for all of
> them. These wasp photographs have been taken in their natural habitats mainly on
> the village outskirts and a few in the forests as well. (collection started from
> 2004 onwards). I love these creatures for they are beautiful with true colour
> combinations and patterns , beautiful pair of antenna and for the way they keep
> their steps with elegance, graceful pivoting around the flowers, moving its
> feelers, flying from one flower to another and feeding on nectar. They have very
> interesting behaviour - choosing the thatched roof for building nests,
> collecting clay from nearby waterbodies, Buzzing and flying into home from the
> window/open doors, nest building skills (of certain wasps), flying with larvaes
> into nests and sometimes paralysing spiders and dragging into nests, closing the
> entrance of the nest.... Though, there are many stories on wasp attacks among
> villagers 9mainly when disturbed),  I  thank them for allowing me always to take
> few pictures in close proximities.
> */
>
> Regards
> Raghu
> Chennai
>

>  DSC_7826.jpg
> 200KViewDownload
>
>  WaspPlantSet1.jpg
> 136KViewDownload
>
>  WaspPlantSet2.jpg
> 170KViewDownload

Pinki

Jun 8, 2011, 12:55:41 AM6/8/11
to efloraofindia
Extremely beautiful pictures Raghu Ji....i am a regular reader of
National geographic magazine since 1998. i am sure your clicks are
more than just comparable.

can you give me details of your equipment (camera and flash)?

Alok

On Jun 7, 9:56 am, raghu ananth <raghu_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Squirrel's tail  - Hill Justicia, Justicia betonica, a native weed plant of
> India
>
> While Scanning through my wasp photo collection, I  soon realized this
> particular flowering plant ..Squirrel's tail  - Justicia betonica.. (Thanks to
> Dr. Neil for the ID help.,) had attracted at least a dozen kind of wasps ( few
> bees too). Dreaming of a wasp garden in my home, I collected few young one's
> with roots  along with few other wasp plants & planted them in  my home ground.
> A week later.. I found all of them breathing. Still Alive.... Three weeks later
> .. the squirrel tails had disappeared altogether.
> My sightings suggests they are found along the canal & lake edge habitat.  These
> plants start emerging just before the South West Monsoon commences and are in
> found in abundance in this habitat  till the spring ends.
>
> Chandagal village, Krishnarajanagar, Mysore district.
> Weed plant
> Habitat:  along the canal and lake edges
>
> Few of my South Indian wasp pictures,http://picasaweb.google.com/earthsublime/WorldOfWasps
>
> /* Birds, reptiles, mammals and insects – I have a tremendous liking for all of
> them. These wasp photographs have been taken in their natural habitats mainly on
> the village outskirts and a few in the forests as well. (collection started from
> 2004 onwards). I love these creatures for they are beautiful with true colour
> combinations and patterns , beautiful pair of antenna and for the way they keep
> their steps with elegance, graceful pivoting around the flowers, moving its
> feelers, flying from one flower to another and feeding on nectar. They have very
> interesting behaviour - choosing the thatched roof for building nests,
> collecting clay from nearby waterbodies, Buzzing and flying into home from the
> window/open doors, nest building skills (of certain wasps), flying with larvaes
> into nests and sometimes paralysing spiders and dragging into nests, closing the
> entrance of the nest.... Though, there are many stories on wasp attacks among
> villagers 9mainly when disturbed),  I  thank them for allowing me always to take
> few pictures in close proximities.
> */
>
> Regards
> Raghu
> Chennai

raghu ananth

Jun 9, 2011, 12:51:38 PM6/9/11
to Pinki, efloraofindia
Dear Alok ji

I have a Nikon D40, 18-55mm lens,  70-300mm Nikkor VR and Panasonic Lumix FZ3 (12x).
(Back in 2007, I got hooked to  Nikon D40 reviews, recommendations and release dates (Kenrockwell.com, dpreview.com, steves-digicams.com). Saved enough  for months and purchased this equipment the moment it was available in Bangalore. Probably I was one of the first to buy this model in Bangalore...
We have far better camera options now. Just get a good one and start clicking..

Regards

Raghu

Pinki

Jun 10, 2011, 1:17:54 AM6/10/11
to efloraofindia
Dear Raghu ji,

Camera equipment and the accessories are coming anew daily and just
like mobile phones, you buy something in morning and it is outdated by
evening. though in case of cameras it takes a few days at least. there
are people who are still using the so called "completely outdated"
film role cameras to click photos and give results worth dying for.
but what i think is that its the ingenuity and ideas of the person
behind the camera which is important. but yeah surely the equipment
can contribute to to the patience, inventiveness, viewpoint and
importance of the shot which are very very important for the
photographs which you had posted.

once again i congratulate you on your work....

Alok