Rauwolfia tetraphylla

raju das

Nov 1, 2010, 1:20:48 PM11/1/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Rauwolfia tetraphylla . Photographed during June/09 from Assam

--
Raju Das
Nature's Foster

Rauwolfia tetraphylla 1.jpg
Rauwolfia tetraphylla 2.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 16, 2010, 5:34:19 PM11/16/10
to raju das, indiantreepix
Rauvolfia tetraphylla

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Mahadeswara

Nov 16, 2010, 10:32:27 PM11/16/10
to efloraofindia
Yes. It is indeed Rauwolfia tetraphylla. See earlier postings
also, on this site.

On Nov 17, 3:34 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rauvolfia tetraphylla
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 17, 2010, 12:16:18 AM11/17/10
to Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Mahadeshwara ji
The correct spellings are Rauvolfia and not Rauwolfia, although several people have been using Rauwolfia for our two common species R. serpentina and R. tetraphylla.

Genus name  Rauvolfia was given by Linneaus, 1753

It is important to not that according to IPNI there is a distinct genus Rauwolfia from family Verbenaceae, described by Ruiz. & Pav., 1799 with two species Rauwolfia pubescens Willd ex Roem. & Schult. and Rauwolfia spinosa Cav.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089

Pankaj Kumar

Nov 17, 2010, 1:08:50 AM11/17/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Actually its another case of accepting a wrong name, because it
originated that way by Linnaeus himself.

Rauvolfia is named after Leonhard Rauwolf but it should have been
Rauwolfia which it is not.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Gurcharan Singh

Nov 17, 2010, 1:29:06 AM11/17/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Mahadeswara, efloraofindia
Yes it is true but the member of Apocynaceae has be correctly spelled as Rauvolfia.

Code clearly states "A legitimate name must not be rejected merely because it, or its epithet, is inappropriate or disagreeable, or because another is preferable" Scilla peruviana L. does not grow in Peru, but can't be rejected on this count.