Pineapples

Marianne de Nazareth

Jul 23, 2011, 6:44:29 AM7/23/11
to indiantreepix
Does anyone know where the pineapples that we get in Bangalore are grown?

regds,

Marianne

--

Former Asst. Editor The Deccan Herald
Freelance Journalist

Vijayasankar

Jul 23, 2011, 1:34:12 PM7/23/11
to Marianne de Nazareth, indiantreepix
I have seen its large scale cultivation on the higher hill slopes of Kolli hills and few other places in TN.
As per the link given below, Kerala, Karnataka, West Bengal and NE Indian states are the major producers of Pineapple.
And, "Mauritious" variety seems to be the best edible variety which is widely cultivated in Kerala.
Source: http://www.ifmr.ac.in/pdfdownload/pineapples.pdf

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Smilax004

Jul 25, 2011, 1:53:21 AM7/25/11
to efloraofindia
Of course, most of the Pinaple selling in Bangalore come from Kerala.
There is a market for Pinaple in central Kerala near my house. It is
Vazhakkulam near Thodupuzha/Muvattupuzha. Now the cultivation has come
down considerable because the market is very inconsistent. Mostly,
pineapple is cultivated as inter-crop during first 3 years of Rubber
planting.

http://www.pineapplecity.org/pine_asso.htm
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/48446971
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaemes_sister/386158362/