Helixanthera wallichiana from Silent Valley.

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 7, 2011, 11:51:57 AM8/7/11
to indiantreepix
Helixanthera wallichiana of Loranthaceae family, an endemic, rare, hemi-parasitic shrub from Silent Valley National Park, Kerala The Picture was taken during a field visit in April 2007.

Close up

This habit picture was taken by my friend Dr K A Subramanian (Scientist C ZSI, Kolcatta) during the same field trip.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Vijayasankar

Aug 8, 2011, 12:51:39 AM8/8/11
to Giby Kuriakose, indiantreepix
Very nice picture, Giby. Thanks for sharing the habit picture, too.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

Giby Kuriakose

Aug 8, 2011, 8:01:37 AM8/8/11
to Vijayasankar, Samir Mehta, indiantreepix
Thank you very much  Vijay and Samir ji for your comments.

Regards,
Giby

shrikant ingalhalikar

Aug 8, 2011, 8:29:12 AM8/8/11
to efloraofindia
Nice picture Giby, but pls check flower size. I think this to be H.
obtusata. Flowers appear to be about 2 cm long and with narrow long
lobes. H. wallichiana flowers are just 5-6 mm long with short lobes.
Regards, Shrikant

On Aug 8, 5:01 pm, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much  Vijay and Samir ji for your comments.
>
> Regards,
> Giby
>
> On 8 August 2011 10:21, Vijayasankar <vijay.botan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Very nice picture, Giby. Thanks for sharing the habit picture, too.
>
> > Regards
>
> > Vijayasankar Raman
> > National Center for Natural Products Research
> > University of Mississippi
>
> > On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Giby Kuriakose <giby.kuriak...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> *Helixanthera wallichiana* of Loranthaceae family, an endemic, rare,
> >> hemi-parasitic shrub from Silent Valley National Park, Kerala The Picture
> >> was taken during a field visit in April 2007.
>
> >> Close up
> >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby/1418089994/in/photostream
>
> >> Habitat picture is available @
> >>http://www.parasiticplants.siu.edu/Loranthaceae/images/HelixantheraWa...
> >> .
> >> This habit picture was taken by my friend Dr K A Subramanian (Scientist C
> >> ZSI, Kolcatta) during the same field trip.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Giby
>
> >> --
> >> GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> >> Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> >> Royal Enclave,
> >> Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> >> Bangalore- 560064
> >> India
> >> Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> >> visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby
>
> --
> GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> Royal Enclave,
> Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> Bangalore- 560064
> India
> Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby- Hide quoted text -

Smilax004

Aug 8, 2011, 12:22:44 PM8/8/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, indiantreepix
Dear Srikant ji,

Thank you very much for the information and encouraging comment.

I will recheck the same when I get live specimen.
Unfortunately we were not allowed to collect specimens during the
field visit. I had gone with IISc team who had permission only to
collect amphibians and reptiles, hence I don't have specimen with me.

From my field notebook I recollect that the flowers were around 1cm
(max 1.5cm no precise measurement is available) - long.

When I rerun the key, I could learnt that H. obtusatus branchlets
inflorescence and/or sometimes leaves more or less furfuraceous (Made
of or covered with scaly particles, such as dandruff) and leaf base is
rounded/acute/auricled whereas, in my specimen leaves, branchlets and
inflorescence were glabrous as mentioned in the key provided by Gamble
(described as L wallichiana) and the leaf base was narrowed at the
base.

I had experimented and experienced a variation in flower length of
flowers of Dendrophthoe falcata and D nilgirica from populations from
KMTR (Tirunelveli) and the Nilgiries (Priya Davidars JBNHS paper). I
had presented this work in the 5th International Canopy conference
held in Bangalore in 2009.

Thanks and Regards
Giby

> > visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby-Hide quoted text -

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 8, 2011, 12:32:06 PM8/8/11
to efloraofindia
Beautiful pic Gibs.
By the way, the Disperis you have there is Disperis zeylanica and not
neilgherense.
I want both flowers plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
Pankaj
> > > visit my pictures @http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby-Hidequoted text -

Ushadi micromini

Aug 9, 2011, 4:27:20 AM8/9/11
to efloraofindia
Spectacular, never seen it...
thanks, Giby.
Usha di
=======

JM Garg

Jul 21, 2015, 4:31:09 AM7/21/15
to efloraofindia, gibybo...@gmail.com, surajitkoley, Anurag Sharma
May pl. recheck in view of feedback in another thread

surajit koley

Jul 22, 2015, 2:00:36 PM7/22/15
to JM Garg, efloraofindia, gibybo...@gmail.com, Anurag Sharma
If the pic at http://www.parasiticplants.siu.edu/Loranthaceae/images/HelixantheraWall1.jpg is of same species in this thread, more than 4 pairs of lateral nerves determine it cannot be H. wallichiana (Schult.f.) Danser.

Thank you
Regards
surajit koley
a non-botanist member of