"Rosaceae Week: 03102011MR1 ?wild cherry tree from Pune for ID"

Madhuri Raut

Oct 3, 2011, 11:50:37 AM10/3/11
to efloraofindia
Request for identification

I think this belongs to Rosaceae family.Please validate

Date/Time- Oct 2011

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-Pune

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-Garden

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb- Tree

Height/Length- about 1 floor of a building

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-Green

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts- not seen

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds- green and red cherries were seen but it was too high for me to photograph. Luckily there was a lone cherry on the ground to photograph

Regards

Bhagyashri

031020112252.jpg
031020112251.jpg
031020112247.jpg
031020112245.jpg
031020112249.jpg

Ushadi micromini

Oct 7, 2011, 1:17:28 AM10/7/11
to efloraofindia
Madhuri:

The leaves of your tree remind me of something we saw this summer here
at eflora...
Most likely a singapore cherry...

a misnomer, since its native to central america like countries of
Panama or even mexico...
cant remember...
botanical name :*Muntingia calabura

Arijit Banerji showed it flowers in June this year from Kolkata:
http://groups.google.com/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/4adfa880f97c1a73/6419baf06c3b09ec?lnk=gst&q=singapore+cherry+2011#6419baf06c3b09ec

Wikipedia has many pics by our own gargji: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntingia

Grows all over India in disturbed lands and sometimes becomes big
trunked tree...
I have only seen thin young trunks...

Lets see what the experts say...

Usha di

ps if you had even one flower pic , it would have been diagnostic...

================
>  031020112252.jpg
> 800KViewDownload
>
>  031020112251.jpg
> 619KViewDownload
>
>  031020112247.jpg
> 794KViewDownload
>
>  031020112245.jpg
> 969KViewDownload
>
>  031020112249.jpg
> 633KViewDownload

Madhuri Raut

Oct 7, 2011, 3:45:26 AM10/7/11
to Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Thank you Ushadi.
Regards
Bhagyashri

Giby Kuriakose

Oct 7, 2011, 3:49:11 AM10/7/11
to Madhuri Raut, efloraofindia
Yes I too think this is Muntingia calabura of Muntingiaceae family.
Birds love the fruits and hence it is called "Bird Cherry" as well.

Regards,
Giby

--
GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
Royal Enclave,

Madhuri Raut

Oct 7, 2011, 3:53:47 AM10/7/11
to Giby Kuriakose, efloraofindia
Thank you Gibyji.I liked the name Bird cherry
Regards
Bhagyashri

Bhagyashri

Feb 16, 2012, 11:21:38 AM2/16/12