PR121210-For ID help

Padmini Raghavan

Dec 12, 2010, 12:27:34 PM12/12/10
to indiantreepix
Please excuse the poor photos as the light was fading. This is a tree I saw in Bangalore which I was told has edible fruit called Panneer Pazham. The flowers looked almost white,like powder-puffs,  in bunches of twos and threes, high up on the tree. The partially-eaten-by-squirrels fruit is shown.
Thanks,
Padmini Raghavan.
Paneer - pazham tree 001.jpg
Paneer - pazham tree 006.jpg
Paneer - pazham tree 008.jpg

Vijayasankar

Dec 12, 2010, 10:34:42 PM12/12/10
to Padmini Raghavan, indiantreepix
This could be Rose Apple (Syzygium jumbos), a common plant found in B'lore gardens.

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Associate
Thad Cochran Research Center
University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS 38677
Phone: +1 662 915 1018

Pudji Widodo

Dec 13, 2010, 7:49:52 AM12/13/10
to efloraofindia
Could be Syzygium jambos, from Myrtaceae, not jumbos, but for sure
could you show me the leaves please.

Pudji Widodo
Fakultas Biologi Unsoed
PURWOKERTO INDONESIA