dentification of an ornamental shrub

arun sharma

Jul 19, 2011, 11:39:15 AM7/19/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Could someone please identify this shrub, It has glossy smooth trifoliate leaves and pink flowers with 5 petals

Thanks

Arun Sharma
SDC11241.jpg

Balkar Arya

Jul 19, 2011, 12:21:17 PM7/19/11
to arun sharma, indian...@googlegroups.com
It may be Ravenia spectabilis
Arun Ji Please follow the forrmat for id
Size of your photo is also very small
Pasting from the mail of Gurcharan Ji for clarification

This is for the attention of colleagues sending photographs for ID.
1. Subject line should be unique ID (dd+mm+yyyy+initials+post number for the day) followed by the place (preferably city) where the plant was photographed.
2. Exact locality, its altitude should be indicated
3. Habitat where the plant was growing: cultivated, weed of cultivation, wastelands, roadsides, marshy area, aquatic etc.
4. Habit: Tree, shrub, woody climber, herbaceous climberr, annual herb, perennial herb, etc.
5. Aproximate height of the plant
6. Insersion of leaves, whether alternate (one at each point), opposite (two at each point) or whorled (more than two at each point)
7. Aproximate size of middle leaves
8. Flower diameter and length
9. Fruit size

Although some members may find it difficult to provide all details, but they should try to give maximum possible information.

For better identification the three photographs accompanying should be : a side view of branch showing clear view of leaves and flowers.; a close up of flower from the side to show bracts, calyx and corolla; a top close up of flower to show stamens and style/s.

If I will send my first post for ID today the subject line would be:

18072011GS1 Plant(it could also be herb/shrub/tree/climber) for ID from Kashmir

my second post today for ID would be

18072011GS2 Plant(it could also be herb/shrub/tree/climber) for ID from Kashmir

and so on
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 19, 2011, 12:26:23 PM7/19/11
to Balkar Arya, arun sharma, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Ravenia spectabilis

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

Jul 19, 2011, 8:38:08 PM7/19/11
to Gurcharan Singh, arun sharma, indian...@googlegroups.com
here are mine
Ravenia spectabilis (1).JPG
Ravenia spectabilis (2).JPG

H S

Jul 19, 2011, 11:39:53 PM7/19/11
to Balkar Arya, Gurcharan Singh, arun sharma, indian...@googlegroups.com
Ravenia spectabilis
--
 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Pinki

Jul 20, 2011, 12:17:24 AM7/20/11
to efloraofindia
one shrub was growing in the Botany Department at Panjab University
and was labelled as Limonia spectabilis.

Alok

On Jul 19, 8:39 pm, H S <hemsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *Ravenia spectabilis*
>

> On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Balkar Arya <balkara...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > here are mine
>
> > On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Yes *Ravenia spectabilis*
> >> *
> >> *
>
> >> --
> >> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> >> Retired  Associate Professor
> >> SGTB Khalsa College, University of Delhi, Delhi-110007
> >> Res: 932 Anand Kunj, Vikas Puri, New Delhi-110018.
> >> Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
> >>http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 20, 2011, 3:02:21 AM7/20/11
to Pinki, efloraofindia
Yes a synonym for Ravenia spectabilis

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

ushadi Micromini

Jul 20, 2011, 10:36:14 AM7/20/11
to efloraofindia, ushadi Micromini
Yes, Limonia or Ravenna spectabilis...
Hers's mine
quite common gardens and nurseries in Bengal
Usha di
PINK FLOWERS Ravenna spectabilis BABUPUR (2) small sz.jpg

Balkar Arya

Jul 20, 2011, 10:46:53 AM7/20/11
to ushadi Micromini, efloraofindia
Smart looking  Ushaji