Mangrove fruits for ID-280211-PKA2

Prashant awale

Feb 28, 2011, 12:28:22 PM2/28/11
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Seen these dried fruits of a Mangrove near Gorai, Mumbai. No clue to me about its ID.

Date/Time: 26-02-2011 / 5:30PM
Habitat: Wild, Mangrove
Plant Habit: Climber

regards
Prashant
IMG_5639-RS.jpg
IMG_5640c.jpg

sheetal chaudhari

Feb 28, 2011, 12:47:53 PM2/28/11
to Prashant awale, indiantreepix
This is not a Mangrove fruit. This belongs to family Convolvulaceae, probably dried fruit of Operculina turpethum.

Regards,
Sheetal Pachpande

Dinesh Valke

Feb 28, 2011, 1:21:44 PM2/28/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, sheetal chaudhari, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
... fruits of Operculina turpethum do not look like these ... could be of some other plant.
Do not remember seeing such dried sepals below the fruit ... overlapping coverings of O. turpethum fruit open to show seeds closely held.

Regards.
Dinesh

Bhatt Sweta

Feb 28, 2011, 1:23:35 PM2/28/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, sheetal chaudhari, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Ummm....any reasons it cant be of Sonneratia sps.?!!!

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 11:17 PM, sheetal chaudhari <sheeta...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Bhatt Shweta
Asso. Prof.,

sheetal chaudhari

Feb 28, 2011, 1:34:20 PM2/28/11
to Dinesh Valke, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
For sure but this is some member of Convolvulaceae, as i have studied this family during my Masters course

Dinesh Valke

Feb 28, 2011, 1:43:28 PM2/28/11
to sheetal....@gmail.com, sheetal chaudhari, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
... fruits of Sonneratia would normally be pendulous, have a depression at a top with a persistent style (not sure whether it falls off in some species).
The plant here is a climber.
Regards.
Dinesh

shrikant ingalhalikar

Feb 28, 2011, 7:44:50 PM2/28/11
to efloraofindia
This would be Ipomoea violacea, a mangrove associate. Regards,
Shrikant
>  IMG_5639-RS.jpg
> 193KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5640c.jpg
> 181KViewDownload

Pardeshi S.

Feb 28, 2011, 11:36:11 PM2/28/11
to efloraofindia
yes it is a dried fruit of Ipomoea violacea. seen it many times at
Gorai creek.

Satish Pardeshi

Hemanth

Mar 1, 2011, 5:24:52 AM3/1/11
to efloraofindia
The branches of Operculina are quandrangular and winged....the fruits
are loobed and pinkish-whitish in colour...
this for sure Impomoea violacea
and cant be sonneretia even in dreams...Sonnertia is Lytheraceae
family

:)

hemant
> > > 181KViewDownload- Hide quoted text -

snehal patel

Mar 2, 2011, 7:57:37 AM3/2/11
to Hemanth, efloraofindia
100 % this is Ipomoea violacea, a mangrove associate plant.