Fwd: CYCAS

J.M. Garg

Mar 17, 2011, 1:31:19 AM3/17/11
to efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar
Forwarding pl.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Col Bimal Sarkar <colbima...@yahoo.com>
Date: 16 March 2011 20:27
Subject: CYCAS

Dear Friend,
           Some time in 1982,while at Pachmarhi,I collected few eyes of Cycas from a mature plant at Bhabatit Dhyan Kendra( opposite Bedi Bungloww).5 of the plants travelled with me to different places.One was given to Brig Rajbir Singh.I am sure it is still with him.It is a treat to see bud of a Cycas unfolding.I am fortunate to see this phenomenon each year.2 of the plants have got place in our home.Attaching an image of the bud of this plant.Wish you happiness.
Regards
Col (Retd) Bimal Sarkar
Mobile: 9434194942

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Google e-group- Efloraofindia:http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix or https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (more than 1550 members & 64,000 messages on 28/2/11 & with a database of around 4500 species on 15/12/10)

Cycas 1.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Apr 7, 2011, 11:59:49 PM4/7/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Col Bimal Sarkar
Resurfacing again

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Apr 8, 2011, 12:46:52 AM4/8/11
to efloraofindia
Cycas revoluta.
Pankaj

On Apr 8, 8:59 am, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Resurfacing again
>
> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

> On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:01 AM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Forwarding pl.

Satish Chile

Apr 8, 2011, 1:44:43 AM4/8/11
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Cycas revoluta
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Balkar Arya

Apr 11, 2011, 12:22:40 PM4/11/11
to Satish Chile, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes Cycas revoluta
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

promila chaturvedi

Aug 22, 2011, 7:35:33 AM8/22/11
to Balkar Arya, Satish Chile, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
I agree with Dr. Pankaj Kumar and Dr. Balkar Sing. It is Cycad revoluta.
Promila

Ushadi micromini

Aug 23, 2011, 1:25:21 AM8/23/11
to efloraofindia
This is sago Palm, some classify it as King sago...

in southern california its very popular front yard plant... gives
architectural focal points to the tiny water starved landscapes
something green year round...

In this photo the central bunch of spikes is a collection of a round/
ring of young leaves... which ultimately unfurl and when mature and
die off will add 2 to 3 inches to the height of the plant....

Below it the light brown "leaves " with an occasional red peaking out
is the female ovary and fruits... (red ) ones are fruits/seeds
inside.... young children sometimes eat them to their peril... its
toxic ...

FINAL diagnosis ... King Sago Palm, female... Botanical binomial:
Cycas revoluta

(( NOT CYCAD as in above messages) ... although it belongs to
Family: Cycadaceae but Genus is Cycas..

Usha di