Koel came calling

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 21, 2011, 4:11:35 AM5/21/11
to indiantreepix, bng birds, BOB, delhibird...@googlegroups.com, delhi bird, Ambika Bhatt, Devashish K. Bhatt, rkshar...@yahoo.com
A few days back a male Koel came to our garden and perched on the almost leafless acacia nilotica tree. This tree is already the roost of a number of house sparrows.  Plac: Gwalior. MP.
ak

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Anand Kumar Bhatt

May 21, 2011, 4:19:50 AM5/21/11
to bng birds, BOB, delhi bird, delhibird, Ambika Bhatt, Devashish K. Bhatt, rkshar...@yahoo.com, Adil & Daisy
oops! forgot to attach the photographs. Here they are.
ak
koel-1.jpg
koel-2.jpg
koel_3-1.jpg
koel_4-1.jpg
koel_5-1.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

May 21, 2011, 11:13:41 AM5/21/11
to efloraofindia
Nice pictures. The tree seems Parkinsonia aculeata from the hooked
prickles. Regards, Shrikant

On May 21, 1:19 pm, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> oops! forgot to attach the photographs. Here they are.
> ak

H S

May 21, 2011, 2:01:31 PM5/21/11
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
May be any of Acacia species,,, but doesnt look like Pakinsonia....

 - H.S.

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, - a mere heart of stone

Mahadeswara

May 22, 2011, 12:02:51 AM5/22/11
to efloraofindia
The tree does not look like Acacia nilotica . Is it a deciduous
tree? Onset of foliage and flowers will reveal its identity.

On May 21, 1:11 pm, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few days back a male Koel came to our garden and perched on the almost
> leafless acacia nilotica tree. This tree is already the roost of a number of
> house sparrows.  Plac: Gwalior. MP.
> ak
>
> --
> Anand Kumar Bhatt
> A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
> Gwalior. 474 005.
> Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
> My blogsite is at:http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
> (A NEW BLOG has been ADDED ON 12 April 2011.)
> And the photo site:www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/>(NEW PHOTOS HAVE BEEN ADDED ON 15

Ushadi micromini

May 22, 2011, 4:31:54 AM5/22/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia
Bhatta ji: I have never seen a male Koel..not that I would recognize
one... now what I want know is... what does a male koel sound like...
is it the same KU hu...ku hu... as the female koel?
thanks
Usha Di.
=======

On May 21, 1:19 pm, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> oops! forgot to attach the photographs. Here they are.
> ak

Madhuri Pejaver

May 22, 2011, 5:19:52 AM5/22/11
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Ushadi micromini, efloraofindia
Dear Ushadi,
Asall correction.
Female Koel does not sing. The kuhu kuhu you here is male koel only.
What yu might have seen till now might be all males which look much simolar to crow but are much slender and tail feathers are longer. They have red eyes.
Female is difficult to spot. It is with barred feathers, brown or muddy color and white.
sorry flower lovers for the interaction explained here. But it is needed to know that the plants help in chemophlaging the animals. HA HA HA!!!
Madhuri

ushadi Micromini

May 22, 2011, 5:41:15 AM5/22/11
to Madhuri Pejaver, Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia
Oh, Thanks Madhuri,   that is the red eye in Bhattji's pictures, so he got the precise colors, wow....
nice Bhatt ji...

AND  ever since I was a child, I used to make a mean kuhu sound that would fool even the most Koel's in the victoria memorial gardens, and they would respond... now in my old age...  so I have been mimicking the male koels all my life....  ho ho...
come to think of it I have seen these skinny crows with red eyes in leaf bereft limbs of SHalmali twigs when they first start blooming, just when there are only a few of the red flowers.... as the floers increase so do the other birds...

so that means I have seen them, just not recognized them, now I will....
thanks ...
Usha di
PS: is it possible to buy the bird song cds? where, how?

=======

Madhuri Pejaver

May 22, 2011, 6:03:11 AM5/22/11
to ushadi Micromini, Anand Kumar Bhatt, efloraofindia
Now you have Mr. Kuntes Mail id. just mail him
hahahahaha!
madhuri

Na Bha

May 22, 2011, 11:47:45 AM5/22/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
A very interesting discussion.
The german, or say the european Koel, called Kukuck in German, does not sing kuhu but he sings Kuk Kuck. There is a very popular song "Kukkuck, Kukkuck rufts aus dem Wald".  See here the notation. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/3/3c/Kuckuck.jpg
It is popular not only among children, but also german church choirs have this song in their repertoire.
I was curious to know, how the european music notation is written down on 5 (and more) lines. I attended some music lessons in Bremen university, to get preliminary knowledge of western music. The Kukkuck song was for me a "eselsbrücke" = helping trick for remembering minor third.

Anyway while reading these mails I got curious to know why the koel sings kuhu while kukuck sings kukkuck. I searched a bit and found that kuckuck (Cuculus canorus) is different from Asian Koel (Eudynamys scolopaceus).
The distribution of Asian Koel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KoelMap.svg and that of kukuck http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2b/Distribution_of_Cuculus_canorus.PNG make me think that in southern part of china both birds must be present.

Very interesting.
Regards
Nalini

Ushadi micromini

May 23, 2011, 1:22:12 AM5/23/11
to Na Bha, efloraofindia
Wow, thanks Nalini....

the details: very interesting and worth remembering...
Usha di
====

On May 22, 8:47 pm, Na Bha <nabha-megh...@gmx.de> wrote:
> [...]

> >         > To: "Anand Kumar Bhatt" <anandkbh...@gmail.com
> >         <http://in.mc947.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=anandkbh...@gmail.com>>
> >         > Cc: "efloraofindia" <indian...@googlegroups.com
> >         <http://in.mc947.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=indiantreepix@googlegrou...>>
> >         > Date: Sunday, 22 May, 2011, 2:01 PM
> >         > Bhatta ji: I have never seen a male
> >         > Koel..not that I would recognize
> >         > one...  now what I want know is... what does a male
> >         > koel sound like...
> >         > is it the same KU hu...ku hu... as the female koel?
> >         > thanks
> >         > Usha Di.
> >         > =======
>
> >         > On May 21, 1:19 pm, Anand Kumar Bhatt <anandkbh...@gmail.com

> >         <http://in.mc947.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=anandkbh...@gmail.com>>

> >         > wrote:
> >         > > oops! forgot to attach the photographs. Here they

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 18, 2011, 8:40:53 AM8/18/11
to le...@rediffmail.com, Ushadi micromini, swamy...@gmail.com, Na Bha, efloraofindia

shrikantji: I searched on the internet. the flower of Parkinsonia aculeata is very different from the flowers I have seen seen on this babool. The link to flowers is:
So the problem remains. am I right in my identification of the tree? Even Mahadeshwar thinks otherwise.
Thanks
ak
(A NEW BLOG has been ADDED ON 9 August 2011.)

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Aug 22, 2011, 1:36:11 AM8/22/11
to le...@rediffmail.com, Ushadi micromini, swamy...@gmail.com, Na Bha, efloraofindia
Srikantji: In continuation to my recent message in this regard, I am attaching some more photographs of the foliage of the said acacia.
Thanks in advance.
ak
acacia in my garden_2-5.jpg
acacia in my garden_1.jpg