Re: Cannot connect to BSNL Dataone from Ubuntu through USB

Anoop John

Apr 19, 2008, 4:48:25 AM4/19/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Plato <platop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have encountered a problem with the access of BSNL data one
> connection in my Ubuntu7.10, at present i have no ethernet
> connection, i am using the USB connection to access the internet for my
> windows installation. kindly reply me how i can configure the internet
> conenction for the usb?
> expecting a speedy reply soon.

Does the modem have an ethernet port? If so that is very easy to set
up. I have not yet configured a Dataone connection using USB.
Anoop

http://www.zyxware.com
http://www.thondomraughts.com
"Be the change you wish to see in the world", M. K. Gandhi

prince prabakaran

Apr 19, 2008, 5:24:01 AM4/19/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

Hello try this, i got the net connection installed in this way and it is working properly( dataone broadband connection with  DSL  modem)

Here's the trick ( if at all it could be called that!) for those novices ( obviously like me! :-) ) who haven't yet had luck configuring their systems.

1> Switch off your modem

2>Open the Network settings Dialog box ( System> Administration> Network)

3>Select 'Wired Connection' and click on the Properties.

4> In the 'Connection Settings' Menu select 'Static IP ' type in the following values and save:

IP Address : 192.168.1.2

/* Assigning the Ethernet Card an IP different from that of the modem*/

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

/* No idea why this value is always this :-) */

Gateway address: 192.168.1.1

/* The Modem is being made the default gateway*/

5>Switch on the Modem and wait for a few minutes for the values to get recorded.

6>In the Terminal ( Applications>Accessories> Terminal) type 'sudo pppoeconf'

6>A window pops with a blue screen notifying that an ethernet device has been found. Just follow the on screen instructions till you reach the screen which asks you for your BSNL UID and PASS. Ping in the values (after deleting the text Username from the line) and you're done!! :-)

But you have to install pppoe before that or download it from the net .

rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz
rp-pppoe-3.8.tar.gz.sig

Rajiv Nair

Apr 19, 2008, 6:16:49 AM4/19/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
pppoe is installed by default in distros like ubuntu. And i think setting the wired connection to DHCP also works.
--
Rajiv R Nair

"Love, Peace, GNU/Linux....."

shibu chandy

Apr 19, 2008, 10:33:22 AM4/19/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
My DSL Modem UT300R2U (Make : UTStarcomm) connection is working with USB
Modem has been configured in PPOE mode.If your ADSL Modem is detected by
your OS
you should be able to ping the ADSL modem IP 192.168.1.1

#ifconfig -a will list all the available network interfaces

deepika@deepika-desktop:~$ ifconfig -a
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:60:46:B7:6E:9C
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:21 Base address:0xb100

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1A:C0:24:10:85
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:17 Base address:0xc000

*eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1C:51:30:1A:9E
inet addr:192.168.1.2 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21b:57ff:fe35:1a9e/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:328607 (320.9 KB) TX bytes:89869 (87.7 KB)
*
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

Here eth0 and eth1 are Ethernet interfaces (NIC) and eth2 is the usb
interface

the /etc/network/ interface file has only two lines as given below

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

I have not configured any IPs in system->administration ->Network
the USB connection is appearing in connection tab as Wired connection
with roaming mode enabled

shibu

Anoop John

Apr 19, 2008, 2:08:24 PM4/19/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 8:03 PM, shibu chandy wrote:
> My DSL Modem UT300R2U (Make : UTStarcomm) connection is working with USB
> Modem has been configured in PPOE mode.
Does this mean that your USB modem was detected automatically and all
you had to do was run pppoeconf?

mahesh chelen

Apr 19, 2008, 3:37:00 PM4/19/08
to ilug-tvm

On Apr 19, 11:08 pm, "Anoop John" <anoopj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 8:03 PM, shibu chandy wrote:
> > My DSL Modem UT300R2U (Make : UTStarcomm) connection is working with USB
> > Modem has been configured in PPOE mode.
>
> Does this mean that your USB modem was detected automatically and all
> you had to do was run pppoeconf?
> Anoop
> --
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------http://www.zyxware.comhttp://www.thondomraughts.com
> "Be the change you wish to see in the world", M. K. Gandhi

The BSNL DSL modems works in two modes:

If we reset the modem (factory reset option), it will work as modem
and if we configure the modem by giving username and password in modem
then it will work as router.

If it is in modem mode then by giving command 'sudo pppoeconf' it will
pop up a window stating the network devices it found and rest as
stated by prince.

---
regards
Mahesh Chelen

shibu chandy

Apr 19, 2008, 10:10:15 PM4/19/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
yes it seems that PC has been connected to ADSL router automatically
(using dhcp)
I didnt even run pppoeconf (i think one needs to run sudo pppoeconf only
if the modem is configured in bridge mode
i.e username and passwords are stored in PC to establish a bridge
connection).Certain modems by default are in PPPOE Mode (like utstarcomm)
while some are in bridge mode (huawei).the default mode can be changed
by logging into modem._What is the make of the modem being configured?_

Plato

Apr 20, 2008, 3:52:37 AM4/20/08
to ilug-tvm
Hai All,

I have tried many ways as you all proposed for configuring the ADSL
modem, still.. its not able to get detected.
i am having Seimens C2110 modem,
which was working well in the Ethernet connection, but currently my
ethernet port got Burned off and i am able to use only through the
usb.
the modem is working well with the USB connection in windows.
So please if some one comes across this problem and have cleared it.
please let me know.. :)

and also i would like to have a helping hand form you all..
i am planning to upgrade my system. i am currently looking for AMD
processor.
can anyone guide me to have a superb configuration.
I am looking to replace my CPU completly..
expecting a reply soon.

Regards,
Plato Pathrose

Anoop John

Apr 20, 2008, 3:59:31 AM4/20/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Plato wrote:
> i am having Seimens C2110 modem,

Can you post the output of lsusb? If nothing works, you can get an
ethernet card for around Rs. 275/- and solve your problem :).

> i am planning to upgrade my system. i am currently looking for AMD
> processor.

What is your current configuration? Why did you want to upgrade? It is
normally a waste of money.

Plato

Apr 20, 2008, 4:19:06 AM4/20/08
to ilug-tvm

> What is your current configuration? Why did you want to upgrade? It is
> normally a waste of money.
>
> Anoop

My current configuration is Intel P 4 1.7, with Mercury mother board,
with Ram 256, and 60 GB HDD.
i am plannign to change only the processor and motherboard wiht RAM,
the board is an old one, whcih i got for 2nd hand price, now nothign
on it is working.. :)..
so thought of changing to somethign like AMD or so wiht good
performance and need soem
Graphic accelerators too since my cousins are free for their
vaccations.

Plato Pathrose

Prasad SR

Apr 20, 2008, 5:43:11 AM4/20/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

IF ur budget is around INR 5500 - 5900 you can go for

Intel Pentium D E2160 processor (1.8GHz)
Biostar GF7050V-M7 Motherboard (with builtin NVIDIA GeForce 7050 GPU)
Kingston 1024MB DDR II 667MHz SD RAM

Although the MB uses 28pin powersupply u can use ur old 24pin SMPS it works fine.
Personally i hav chcked in this configuration its power full to play Two High Definition Videos simultaneously each of 10Kbps .The new configuration will give u a three fold performance over your old machine.
--
Regards,

Prasad.S.R

" Open Source!!!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win"."

shibu chandy

Apr 20, 2008, 5:55:10 AM4/20/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
how you are connecting using windows ??Do u use a dialer to connect or
the username and password is configured in the modem ??

shibu

Plato

Apr 20, 2008, 7:34:48 AM4/20/08
to ilug-tvm
Hai,
@Shibu -
In windows i am using the Networking option available in the Sytem to
connect to the internet,
similarly the Dialer also works well.

@Prasad-
Thanks For the Configuration.Is it any other configuration whcih can
give High performance like this
for AMD processors?, heared that AMD processors are less costlier than
those Intel family, and can give good performance.

Regards,
Plato

shibu chandy

Apr 20, 2008, 9:27:11 AM4/20/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
If you are using a dialer your modem is probably in bridge mode
change it to pppoe mode

will u be available in any telephone number?

Plato

Apr 20, 2008, 3:14:13 PM4/20/08
to ilug-tvm
hai Shibu,
i am available in this number whcih is my personal mobile number -
9895 555 124.
also kindly give your contact number too.
anyway i am a new commer to the linux world.
just i only studied the installationa nd soem other things. till now i
have not done much with linux.

Regards,
Plato Pathrose

Prasad SR

May 1, 2008, 12:07:59 AM5/1/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

>so thought of changing to somethign like AMD or so wiht good
>performance and need soem
>Graphic accelerators too since my cousins are free for their
>vaccations.

>Plato Pathrose

Sorry for the delayed reply, But yesterday i came across this configuration and found it as a great performer. So im posting it here. Hope it could help you.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 approx := 2700/-
ASUS M2N-VM approx := 2400/-
Kingston 1024MB DDR II 667MHz SD RAM := 1000/-

graphics is good in this board if not go for
Biostar 8500GT 256MB  you can get it for 3000/-

http://in.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=567&l4=0&model=1841&modelmenu=1

--
Regards,

Prasad.S.R

" One Thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science measured against reality is child like - and yet it is the most precious thing we have" -- Albert Einstein ."

Plato

May 1, 2008, 2:51:01 AM5/1/08
to ilug-tvm
Hai Prasad,

The AMD configuration which u have given is well and good,
but i think it will not support the IDE hard disks, they are only
speaking about the Sata Hard disks,
currently i am having a new IDE hard disk, simply i dont want to leave
that..
and also i would like to know is there any place where i can sell my
old CPU.
If u have any contact with soem dealers please help me in this.
anyway i am planning to enquire about the configuration to soem
dealers here in tvm today.
and see u for the group's meeting at kanakakunnu..

Regards,
Plato Pathrose

Narayan S S

May 1, 2008, 4:54:46 AM5/1/08
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
I think there is one IDE slot available in this motherboard. Check the Storage section of the Detailed specifications.

http://in.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=1841&l1=3&l2=101&l3=567&l4=0