[fsug-tvm] ubuntu repository dvd's

stranger in black.....

May 6, 2010, 5:29:20 AM5/6/10
to fsug-tvm, fsug...@googlegroups.com, fsug-calicut

Download from this link

http://ubunturepo.hnsdc.com

Junise Safvan

www.gnuise.co.cc

9746 283 383

--
"Freedom is the only law".
"Freedom Unplugged"
http://www.ilug-tvm.org

ilug-tvm-u...@googlegroups.com

For details visit the google group page: http://groups.google.com/group/ilug-tvm?hl=en

Prasad SR

May 6, 2010, 11:24:19 PM5/6/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

Thankyou stranger, strarted downloading :D
Regards,

Prasad.S.R
"Learning Windows is like learning to eat every meal at McDonalds"

Vimal Kumar

May 7, 2010, 1:52:53 AM5/7/10
to Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram
Dear Prasad,

Can you share the Ubuntu repo DVD after complete the downloading?

regards,

Vimal Kumar V.

9846496323
> To control your subscription visithttp://groups.google.co.in/group/ilug-tvm/subscribe

Prasad SR

May 8, 2010, 12:01:34 AM5/8/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Vimal Kumar <vima...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Prasad,

Can you share the Ubuntu repo DVD after complete the downloading?

will do as always :D. I have started downloading DVD 8 and 7
@ Ashik what about helping out with DVD 1 and 2 ?
Anyone else downloading please choose other DVDs so that we don't reinvent the wheel.

regards,

Vimal Kumar V.

9846496323

On May 7, 8:24 am, Prasad SR <

Raru Rv

May 8, 2010, 12:10:27 AM5/8/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
What about mint 9(Isadora)?
Is it available in ZYXware?

Arjun Sr

May 8, 2010, 12:26:29 AM5/8/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
I will do disks 4 and 5 tonite. If any one is downloading make sure you inform by tonite.

Arjun Sr

May 8, 2010, 12:28:08 AM5/8/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Checksum file is not available.

Arjun Sr

May 8, 2010, 12:30:24 AM5/8/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Okay. I will make it 4,5, and 8.

Prasad SR

May 9, 2010, 9:29:55 PM5/9/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

Completed DVD 7 and 8
Downloading DVD 6

Regards,

Prasad.S.R
"Learning Windows is like learning to eat every meal at McDonalds"

Robin S. Parriath

May 9, 2010, 9:34:37 PM5/9/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
Hey friends,

Why are we downloading this?  Wouldn't the repository be redundant as soon as an update gets pushed through?

Or is there a way to keep this updated?

- Robin

Arjun Sr

May 10, 2010, 12:43:12 PM5/10/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
I have a BSNL broadband connection. I tried  for two days. No progress still it is there where it was 0 MB downloaded are you guys getting enough seeds..
--
Arjun.S.R
Computer Science and Engineering

Adhin D

May 10, 2010, 8:57:35 PM5/10/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Arjun Sr <arju...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a BSNL broadband connection. I tried  for two days. No progress still it is there where it was 0 MB downloaded are you guys getting enough seeds..

Where did you get the torrents from? Have you checked is it genuine?

Prasad SR

May 11, 2010, 1:50:41 PM5/11/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Arjun Sr <arju...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a BSNL broadband connection. I tried  for two days. No progress still it is there where it was 0 MB downloaded are you guys getting enough seeds..
I use ISO links its pretty fast..

Arjun Sr

May 16, 2010, 5:24:33 PM5/16/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
till now its in my KTorrent. I am getting enough seeds for other entries.

Prasad SR

May 16, 2010, 11:18:30 PM5/16/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com

Completed DVD 5 and 6
Downloading DVD 4

Arjun Sr

May 17, 2010, 5:38:47 PM5/17/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
If you feel like keeping a local repository by dedicating a 35gb of space in your system, it would be very convenient for you to install application or dependencies. All you need to do is run an rsyncing update script in your system periodically from an authentic server. So need to worry about the internet connection for installing apps...Hurray!
--
Arjun.S.R
Computer Science and Engineering
College of Engineering Trivandrum(CET)

Robin S. Parriath

May 17, 2010, 11:49:11 PM5/17/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On 05/18/2010 03:08 AM, Arjun Sr wrote:
If you feel like keeping a local repository by dedicating a 35gb of space in your system, it would be very convenient for you to install application or dependencies. All you need to do is run an rsyncing update script in your system periodically from an authentic server. So need to worry about the internet connection for installing apps...Hurray!

Thanks Arjun.  An local copy of the repository does seem like a good idea, however, we seem to be downloading iso files here.  I can't say they are so easily updatable. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)  Tools like apt-mirror on Debian based systems can download the repository and even update it very easily.  It is a lot more easier than downloading iso files each time the repository is updated.  So I was wondering why people were downloading them instead of using apt-mirror.

I have, since then, spoken to a few friends and they do consider DVDs to be much more useful in distributing applications, than a usb hard disk.  So I did a rethink of my ideas.  I am currently looking for a way to group together packages that are related, so that the DVDs can be created out of a local repository.  Till then, I guess the dvds are the way to go.

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Robin S. Parriath <robinp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey friends,

Why are we downloading this?  Wouldn't the repository be redundant as soon as an update gets pushed through?

Or is there a way to keep this updated?

- Robin

Arjun Sr

May 18, 2010, 5:01:54 PM5/18/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
tools  like rsync use timestamps to update the files. the syntax is given below.

rsync -P rsync://rsync.server.com/path/to/file destination/folder
#Only get diffs. Do multiple times for troublesome downloads or more feasible is to put it in a script.
--
Arjun.S.R
Computer Science and Engineering (Final Year)

Robin S. Parriath

May 21, 2010, 11:20:50 PM5/21/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
On 05/19/2010 02:31 AM, Arjun Sr wrote:
tools  like rsync use timestamps to update the files. the syntax is given below.

rsync -P rsync://rsync.server.com/path/to/file destination/folder
#Only get diffs. Do multiple times for troublesome downloads or more feasible is to put it in a script.
On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Robin S. Parriath <robinp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks Arjun.  This is now in a script, which is in my crontab, though for another file.

Regards,
Robin

Arjun Sr

May 23, 2010, 1:03:21 PM5/23/10
to ilug...@googlegroups.com
You are always welcome!

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Robin S. Parriath