Importing series, items to an existing description

hochstenbach

Jan 28, 2011, 5:53:25 AM1/28/11
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi all,

Is there a way, or does someone have any hints, which fields I should
to add to an import EAD XML file to ingest new series or items to an /
exisiting/ description in ICA-AtoM.

What I trying to do (i'm not an expert in EAD):

I'm creating Perl scripts to transform Excel files I got from our
archive department into EAD files. With the kind help of this list I
can batch import these EAD files into my system. This works fine for
complete descriptions with all the levels. But what should I do when I
want to add items to an already existing description? I end up now
with many separate items.

Help very much appreciated!

Patrick

Jessica Bushey

Jan 31, 2011, 2:21:09 PM1/31/11
to ICA-AtoM Users
Dear Patrick,

The issue of child-level descriptions imported separately from their
parent level is discussed in relation to a previous issue#912. Please
review the Comments in the EAD Import/Export errors section made by PV
and note that Artefactual intends to address the issue of updating
existing descriptions in a future version of ICA-AtoM.
Go to:
http://qubit-toolkit.org/wiki/index.php?title=XML_import/export#ISAD.28G.29_EAD_round-trip_export.2Fimport_errors
See first Comment in Chart.

You can also view Issue #912 here:
http://code.google.com/p/qubit-toolkit/issues/detail?id=912

At this point, I have added your issue to the larger discussion on EAD
imports.
Related to issue #1924:
http://code.google.com/p/qubit-toolkit/issues/detail?id=1924

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, I'm sure other users
will be interested in this as well.

Regards,
Jessica Bushey,
ICA-AtoM Community Manager

On Jan 28, 2:53 am, hochstenbach <patrick.hochstenb...@gmail.com>

David Juhasz

Feb 1, 2011, 2:02:41 PM2/1/11
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

As far as we know, EAD has no provision for specifying that the <archdesc> description is "part of" an existing fonds.  We believe that the intention behind EAD is that it describes an entire fonds or collection, which would make a "part of" (or equivalent) element unnecessary.

However <archdesc> does allow using the "level" attribute to indicate that <archdesc> describes a series or item.  In ICA-AtoM you can import (for instance) a series level EAD XML file, then use the move description function to attach the series to an existing fonds.  However, this "move" functionality is not specified by EAD, it is particular to the ICA-AtoM application, and it requires manual intervention to attach the series to a fonds.

Another approach is to export the entire fonds, including new series and items, from your originating system as an EAD-XML file, then import the full fonds into ICA-AtoM.  Once we have implemented the functionality described in issue 1924 this would "update" existing descriptions (and wouldn't create duplicates) while adding the new series and items;  currently import a revised fonds would require manually deleting the previous version of the fonds after import.

Regards,
--
David Juhasz,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.