WebSphere 5.0.2.6 Application Server java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

jiten....@eds.com

Sep 23, 2008, 7:07:21 AM9/23/08

We have web application reside on WebSphere application server.

Every time of performing the search on JSP page, the JSP page show error “HTTP 500 Internal server error”

While checking log on System.Out.log of WebSphere, I have found the below error.

[7/3/08 15:02:53:282 CEST] 6252cbaa WebGroup E SRVE0026E: [Servlet Error]-[]: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

Since, we have increase java heap size in webserver.sh (-Xms512M -Xmx1795M) but problem still persist.

Details

Name IBM WebSphere Application Server
Version 5.0.2.6
ID BASE
Build Level cf60422.03
Build Date 06/02/2004

Name IBM WebSphere SDK
Version 1.3.1
ID JDK
Build Level s0245.03
Build Date 11/11/2002

Please suggest required action to resolve this issue.

Regards
Jiten Mistry

Ken Hygh

Sep 23, 2008, 7:29:43 AM9/23/08
How much physical memory is on the machine?

When you say 'search on JSP page', I assume this means that your
application has a search function. Does it by chance use any JNI
libraries? Could be you're running out of native heap instead of java
runtime heap.

Ken

Ben_

Sep 24, 2008, 4:03:25 AM9/24/08
> While checking log on System.Out.log of WebSphere, I have found the below
> error.
>
> [7/3/08 15:02:53:282 CEST] 6252cbaa WebGroup E SRVE0026E: [Servlet
> Error]-[]: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
>
> Since, we have increase java heap size in webserver.sh
> (-Xms512M -Xmx1795M) but problem still persist.

Activate verbose garbage collection logs to see if it fails with 0% memory
free or with large allocation failure.

Also check if there is a more detailed error reason in
native_std(err/out).log.

Jiten Mistry

Sep 29, 2008, 6:15:25 AM9/29/08

Could you please specifiy the path of Activate verbose garbage collection logs.

further native_stdout.log & native_stderr.log have a ZERO byes files.

Thanks.

--
Free News Reader
http://put.hk

Jiten Mistry

Sep 29, 2008, 6:28:42 AM9/29/08
Hi Ken,

The error occurred when application tried to put database information into the memory area.

A single page of the application shows 200 rows of information with checkbox option for each row.
User has to check these 200 checkbox and then click on ¡§ACTION¡¨ button.
The application will fetch detailed information of 200 records from the Database (Oracle 8i) and during this time, the system is giving ¡§Page cannot display¡¨ error.

The current memory structure of server is as below

Mem: 8172200K av, 8135436K used, 36764K free, 564K shrd, 422132K buff
Swap: 2097096K av, 1826016K used, 271080K free 3399976K cached

Ben_

Sep 29, 2008, 6:57:05 AM9/29/08
Documentation is not missing on this subject.

See http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg21114927.

The Troubleshooting Guide can also prove helpful:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=180&uid=swg27005324.

Ben_

Sep 29, 2008, 6:56:58 AM9/29/08
> A single page of the application shows 200 rows of information with
> checkbox option for each row.
> User has to check these 200 checkbox and then click on ¡§ACTION¡¨ button.
> The application will fetch detailed information of 200 records from the
> Database (Oracle 8i) and during this time, the system is giving ¡§Page
> cannot display¡¨ error.

An easy fix is to reduce the amount of data one can select...

Does a reasonable someone really spend time at reading 200 records of some
sort at the same time ?

Jiten Mistry

Sep 29, 2008, 7:22:11 AM9/29/08
Yes,

but it is client requirement, we have optimized select/insert/update sql queries in this application.

How can we fix this issue. is there any IBM patch for this?

Regards/-
Jiten

Ben_

Sep 29, 2008, 9:48:55 AM9/29/08
> How can we fix this issue.

You can better tell when you have the verbose garbage collection log how to
tune the application server JVM.

> is there any IBM patch for this?

At I first sight, there is no reason to suspect IBM for going out of memory.

In the first place, it's the application which asks for memory.

You can pro-actively apply latest patches just to be sure (5.2.0.6 is not
something recent and is not maintained anymore).

I suppose you too saw WebSphere troubles usually come after you install an
application... :-)

Ken Hygh

Sep 29, 2008, 10:09:07 AM9/29/08
Jiten Mistry wrote:
> Yes,
>
> but it is client requirement, we have optimized select/insert/update sql queries in this application.
>
> How can we fix this issue. is there any IBM patch for this?
>
> Regards/-
> Jiten
>
> --

Like Ben says, there's likely no IBM patch for this because it's
probably not a bug.

You say you updated 'webserver.sh' with larger heap sizes. This is not
the way to change this setting, it's changed in the admin console.

Ken

Paul Ilechko

Sep 29, 2008, 2:18:18 PM9/29/08
Jiten Mistry wrote:
> Yes,
>
> but it is client requirement, we have optimized select/insert/update sql queries in this application.
>
> How can we fix this issue. is there any IBM patch for this?

IBM will generally not provide a patch for an application problem, which
this probably is.

Jiten Mistry

Sep 30, 2008, 2:09:51 AM9/30/08
Dear Ken,

Yes, we have set maximum java heap size in wasserver.sh as below,
Even we tried to set java heap size more than 1795M, but WebSphere failed initialized.

$JAVA_HOME/bin/java $WAS_TRACE $DEBUG $CONSOLE_ENCODING $CLIENTSAS -Xms512M -Xmx1795M -classpath $WAS_CLASSPATH -Djava.library.path=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH -Dws.ext.dirs=$WAS_EXT_DIRS $USER_INSTALL_PROP -Dwas.install.root=$WAS_HOME com.ibm.ws.bootstrap.WSLauncher com.ibm.ws.management.tools.WsServerLauncher $CONFIG_ROOT $WAS_CELL $WAS_NODE mantasdedw -logfile startServer.log

Could you please let me know how can I set verbose garbage collection parameter in wasserver.sh

Reg/-

Ken Hygh

Sep 30, 2008, 8:20:04 AM9/30/08
Jiten Mistry wrote:
> Dear Ken,
>
> Yes, we have set maximum java heap size in wasserver.sh as below,
> Even we tried to set java heap size more than 1795M, but WebSphere failed initialized.
>
> $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $WAS_TRACE $DEBUG $CONSOLE_ENCODING $CLIENTSAS -Xms512M -Xmx1795M -classpath $WAS_CLASSPATH -Djava.library.path=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH -Dws.ext.dirs=$WAS_EXT_DIRS $USER_INSTALL_PROP -Dwas.install.root=$WAS_HOME com.ibm.ws.bootstrap.WSLauncher com.ibm.ws.management.tools.WsServerLauncher $CONFIG_ROOT $WAS_CELL $WAS_NODE mantasdedw -logfile startServer.log
>
> Could you please let me know how can I set verbose garbage collection parameter in wasserver.sh
>
> Reg/-
> Jiten

It's been years since I worked with 5.0x, but I don't recall this being
an IBM-supplied script.

You'll need to figure out what the parameters should be for the JVM that
is running WebSphere.

Ken

Ben_

Sep 30, 2008, 3:49:51 PM9/30/08
> Could you please let me know how can I set verbose garbage collection
> parameter in wasserver.sh

Setting would be "-verbosegc".

See IBM JVM Diagnostic Guide at
http://download.boulder.ibm.com/ibmdl/pub/software/dw/jdk/diagnosis/diag131rev3.pdf
for details.

BTW, why not use the built-in facilities and insist on using your own
scripts ?