Performance metrics

Nixon Michaelangelo

Jun 6, 2010, 12:37:43 PM6/6/10
to HyperGraphDB
Greetings Group,

Has anyone implemented HyperGraphDB as a backend datastore in an
interactive, low-latency web app instead of an RDBMS?

How does HyperGraphDB perform when compared with Neo4J, AllegroGraph,
BigData, etc?

Where can i find some performance metrics?

Please share your thoughts.

regards,

Nixon

Borislav Iordanov

Jun 7, 2010, 10:22:03 AM6/7/10
to hyperg...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nixon,

We have, and here is a publicly accessible example: http://ask.miamidade.gov

> How does HyperGraphDB perform when compared with Neo4J, AllegroGraph,
> BigData, etc?
>
> Where can i find some performance metrics?
>
> Please share your thoughts.

No serious performance metrics have been actually done yet. A few
speculative thoughts: HyperGraphDB is somewhat a middle ground between
a pure graph database and a relational style database. So, for example
graph traversals will be faster than dbs relying on the relational
model, but most likely slower than a pure graph database that
essentially replicates an in-memory pointer structure on disk. On the
other hand, conventional set-oriented querying (like "get me all edges
of such and such type with such and such properties) will be faster
than in a pure graph database.

Using it as an embedded OO/graph/relational/key-value db for a website
is a very good fit. The main thing that you will be missing, and we
hope to remedy that soon, are more powerful pattern-matching (or SQL
style) queries and things like paging and sorting of result sets which
you will need to do at the application level.

Best,
Boris

mtm

Jun 14, 2010, 4:00:09 AM6/14/10
to HyperGraphDB
We have used it on digidoctus.com
It is 20 times faster than JDO with MYSQL. (some graph traversal +
object queries).

// Magnus