THE FIRST BACONIAN

Tom Reedy

Jul 26, 2007, 5:47:34โ€ฏPM7/26/07
THE TIMES LITERARY SUPPLEMENT, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 1932

PAGE 128

THE FIRST BACONIAN

By ALLARDYCE NICOLL

The year 1848 has hitherto, been regaled by the "anti-Stratfordians"
with especial reverence; for in 1848 Joseph C. Hart, United States
Consul at Santa Cruz, published a work which, in spite of its
innocuous title - "The Romance of Yachting" - has been held to have
contained the first publicly expressed doubt concerning the authorship
of Shakespeare's plays. Now, however, it would seem that the year 1848
must be dethroned and that the United States must lose the credit of
having given birth to the first man bold enough to question William
Shakespeare. The eighteenth century and - of all places - Stratford
itself have to fill the vacant chairs of honour.

This dethronement is due to the discovery, among the books bequeathed
to the University of London by the late Sir Edwin Durning-Lawrence, of
a thin quarto volume in manuscript, which had been purchased only a
few months before the donor's death. The volume, which I am enabled to
describe through the courtesy of the University Librarian, Mr. Rye,
contains the text of two addresses, the first of which is entitled
"Some Reflections on the Life of William Shakespeare A Paper Read
before the Ipswich Philosophic Society by James Corton Cowell February
7 1805 - Arthur Cobbold Esqre., President." Innocently this starts in.
formal fashion :-
Mr President & Members,
It will be within your memories that during the Session of 1803 I read
a paper on the Genius of the Poets Shakespeare and Milton compared and
that in consequence of the kind appreciation expressed by the several
members who took part in the Discussion and in Response to the
expressed wish of our late lamented President I undertook the Task of
enlarging yet farther on the Life of Shakespeare.

Soon, however, Cowell had to fling a bombshell into their midst, for
he was forced to confess that he was in a "strange' pass," "a Pervert,
nay a Renegade to the Faith I have proclaimed and avowed before you
all"- so much so, indeed, that he expressed himself "prepared to, hear
from you as; I unfold my strange and surprising story cries of
disapproval and even of execration."

This story tells how the lecturer, in searching for material.
wherewith to adorn his promised address, had failed to find any
adequate information on Shakespeare's life either in books or through
personal inquiries at Stratford. "Everywhere," he confesses, "was I
met by a strange and perplexing silence." Puzzled and defeated, the
darkness around him was suddenly dissipated by a "new light," but, he
hastens to add,
let me further confess that the author of this, New Light was not
myself but an ingenious gentleman of the neighbourhood of Stratford on
Avon. . . . I have not his permission to make public his name since as
he rightly pointed out the Townsfolk of Stratford on Avon have of late
years taken such a vast pride in the connexion of the Poet with their
Town that they would bitterly resent any attempt to belittle the Poet.

The "New Light" came, destructively, by denying that Shakespeare could
have written the plays that go by his name and, constructively, by
suggesting a possible author.

As Cowell puts it:-
My Friend has an explanation that is so startling that it is easy to
understand his timidity in putting it forth boldly and I share his
reticence. He goes so far as to suggest that the reason for the non-
existence of the Manuscripts is that they were the work of some other
person who had good reason for concealing his connection with
them. . . . My Friend has a theory which he supports with much
ingenuity that the real author of the Plays attributed to Shakespeare
was Sir Francis Bacon.

In February, 1805, the members of the Ipswich Philosophic Society were
thus startled by Cowell's announcement of this revolutionary theory;
during the following April he returned to the attack. Evidently the
"cries of disapproval and execration" had not been wanting; and now,
seeking to substantiate his position, he expressed himself willing,
under a solemn vow of secrecy from the whole meeting, to reveal the
name of the originator of the theory. The members agreed to his
conditions, whereupon Cowell announced that his friend was "the Revd
Jas. Wilmot DD, the Rector of Barton on the Heath, a small village;
about six or seven miles north of Stratford on the Avon."
Picturesquely, he proceeds to record his first visit to that
clergyman's house. Various country folk were there when he arrived,
but when "these bucolic guests had departed near 4 o'clock . . . the
Doctor and I were able to approach the subject of our colloquy." "Dr.
Wilmot," reports Cowell, "does not venture so far as to say
definitively that Sir Francis Bacon was the Author, but through his
great knowledge of the works of that writer he is able to prepare a
cap that fits him amazingly." Hereupon he proceeds to narrate some of
his arguments. One concerns the allusion to the circulation of the
blood in Coriolanus, Wilmot observing that Harvey's discoveries were
not published till1619. He had noted, too - thus anticipating by
nearly a century part of Sir Sidney Lee's important Gentleman's
Magazine article on this subject, that Biron, Dumain and Longaville in
Love's Labour's Lost were "the names of the Ministers" at the court of
Navarre, adding that this was "at the time when Anthony Bacon a
Brother of Sir Francis Bacon was residing at that Court."

Most interesting of all is the statement that Dr. Wilmot had
also during many years and with the opportunity of local knowledge
gleaned much information as to the times of Shakespeare and his
contemporaries at Stratford on the Avon and though his information is
necessarily but based on Tradition it is as good as much if not most
of the informatn. whereon we rely for historic facts.

His collections in this kind included

notes as to certain odd characters living at or near Stratford on the
Avon with whom Shakespeare must have been familiar and whom it is
reasonable to suppose he wd. have introduced into some of his Plays
particularly his Comedies. There was for example a certain man of
extreme ugliness and tallness who Blackmailed the Farmers under threat
of bewitching their cattle. . . . There is also a local legend of that
period that makes the Devil remove a church tower, a legend of showers
of cake at Shrovetide with stories of men who were rendered cripples
by tile falling of these cakes.

Since Shakespeare did not introduce these, therefore of course he did
not write the Plays - Wilmot's method of argumentation thus seems to
have differed little from the methods employed by his followers.
Wilmot had also tried to trace Shakespeare's books, thinking
that "they wod. have soon passed for money from his poor and
illiterate next of kin into the hands of the local gentry who alone
purchased Books. He said he had covered himself with the dust of every
private bookcase for 50 miles round," without discovering any
volume which might have once belonged to the poet.

Who precisely J. C. Cowell was I have been unable to determine, save
that he seems to have been a Quaker and that he was in all probability
closely related to the well-known Orientalist, E. B. Cowell, who was
born at Ipswich in 1828. Concerning the true originator of the theory,
Dr. James Wilmot, more information is forthcoming, chiefly due to the
pious "Life of the Author of the Letters of Junius, the Rev. James
Wilmot, D.D." (1813) by his niece, Olivia Wilmot Serres. Olivia Serres
herself was a somewhat picturesque and romantic figure in her age, In
1817 she put forward a strange claim, supported by some persons of
distinction, that she was in reality the Princess of Cumberland.
According to her story, Dr. Wilmot had married secretly the sister of
Stanislaus, King of Poland, by whom he had one daughter. That
daughter, at the age of eighteen, won the affections of the Duke of
Cumberland and married him, clandestinely but legally, on March 4,
1767. Olivia Serres claimed that she was the child of that union,
falsely substituted when she was ten days old for the stillborn
daughter of Wilmot's brother, Robert. Nothing of this tale appears in
the Life, nor has that Life anything to say of Wilmot's Shakespearian
studies, but the, information given there tallies with such as is
provided by Cowell. Born at Warwick on March 3, 1726, the son of
Thomas Wilmot (born 1680) by his second wife, Sarah Hughes, James
Wilmot, after becoming a Fellow of Trinity College, Oxford, succeeded
in making himself a well-known figure in eighteenth-century political
and literary circles. He was acquainted with Johnson and Sterne and
Wharton; he was the friend of many noted Parliamentarians of his day,
and is asserted by his niece (without, however, much supporting
evidence) to have been the original "Junius." About the year 1781 he
retired from active participation in the life of the metropolis and
took over the rectory of Barton-on-the-Heath, where, books and
occasional visits from. friends seem to have formed his chief.
recreations. Olivia Serres testifies t' his intimate acquaintance with
Bacon's writings; she declares, indeed, that "Lord Bacon's works were
placed by the Doctor in" her "hands at a very early age, and he
desired her to read his essays very frequently." Wilmot's theory
regarding the authorship of the Shakespearian dramas appears to have
been evolved shortly after his thus settling down in the neighbourhood
of Stratford. Cowell reports in 1805 that Wilmot then "wd prefer to be
left in the modest position which he has been content to occupy for
some 20 years, as he told me is the time that has elapsed since he
first began to think on his new view of the Authorship of the Plays
and Poems Commonly ascribed to Shakespeare." This would give a date
about 1785 for the inception of the Baconian hypothesis, some four
years subsequent to Wilmot's arrival at Barton-on-the-Heath.

When Cowell met him he was nearly eighty years of age. Sometime during
the very year when the former was fluttering Ipswich dovecotes with a
report of his "perverse" views, the old man summoned to his house the
schoolmaster of Long Compton, to whom, along with his housekeeper, he
issued some imperious commands. " 'Take, then, my keys,' said he, 'and
burn on the platform before the house all the bags and boxes of
writings you can discover, in the cabinets in my bedroom.' This
command was unexpected: - but it was scrupulously obeyed. Every paper
in the various repositories was committed to the flames." So perished
those notes on the various local legends of Stratford which, had they
been kept, might have proved so much more useful than the strangely
preserved Baconian theory. The flames consumed their secret, and the
members of the Ipswich Philosophic Society apparently held zealously
to their vow of silence. Merely a peculiar chance has provided us with
this knowledge, enshrined in those thirty-five pages now preserved in
the Library of the University of London, that doubt was first cast on
Shakespeare and that Bacon was acclaimed in 1785 by a Stratford
clergyman, who himself had been born little more than a century after
Shakespeare died.

Art Neuendorffer

Jul 26, 2007, 6:07:04โ€ฏPM7/26/07
[FW 304.14] You will DEsERVE a rolypoly as long bugaboo ride
and play funfer all if you'd only sit and be the ballasted
bottle in the *PORKER BARREL* . You WILL DEsERVE
a rolypoly as long as from HERE to tomorrow.
In 1633, Ben Jonson wrote *A Tale of a TUB*
[FW 212.23] That's what you may call *A Tale of a TUB* !
And Hibernonian market! All that and more under one
crinoline envelope if you dare to break the *porkBARREL seal*
TIMON: Make use of thy salt hours: season the slaves
. For TUBS and baths; bring down rose-cheeked youth
. To the TUB-fast and the diet.
[FW 286.71] (*F4*)4 *SingleBARRELled names*
. for doubleparalleled twixtyTWINS.
_____ (N)ovus (O)rdo (SE)clorum
__________ {anagram}
______ ENORMOUS OLD CORVUS
.
. `Tweedledum and Tweedledee
. Agreed to have a battle;
. For Tweedledum said Tweedledee
. Had spoiled his nice new rattle.
. Just then flew down a monstrous crow,
. As black as a *TAR-BARREL*;
. Which frightened both the heroes so,
. They quite forgot their QUARREL.'
Lstuder wrote:

> Hal Holbrook, in Mark Twain Tonight, recreates
> the story of MT being born TWINs, identical except that
> one had a mole on his left shoulder. That one was him.
> *One of the TWINs DROWNED in the bathTUB at an early age*
> That one was the one with the mole...
[FW 426.31] like a flask of lightning over he careened
(O the sons of the fathers!) by the mightyfine weight
of his *BARREL* (all that prevented the happering of who
if not the asterisks beTWINk themselves shall EVER?)
and, as the wisest postlude course he could playact,
collaspsed in ensemble and rolled buoyantly backwards
in less than a tTWINling via Rattigan's corner
Four months after _Romeus and Juliet_ is published
. Arthur BROOKE - DROWNS in Sea, 1563.
.
. William Shaxpere - DROWNS in Avon, 1579.
. Katherine HAMLETT - DROWNS in Avon, 1579.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/fat/readings/vat.html
.
<<Fat originally meant vessel. So when you look up the word in the
Oxford English Dictionary, the first definition is obsolete. The last
documented use of the word in that sense occurs in 1866, but its roots
go way back to Teutonic, the ancient language of what is now
Germany--the mother of all languages allied to and including modern
German, the Scandinavian languages, and English. It was the language
of
Charlemagne and before that of the barbarous tribes that for the
Romans
became Germania--the country beyond the Rhine. Fat, at its roots,
is a verb meaning to hold, to contain, like a vessel or *VAT*.
.
The more general sense of fat was of a large-size vessel for liquids,
tub, a dyer's or a brewer's *VAT*, a wine cask, and especially the tub
or *VAT* in which wine was pressed by stamping feet. A fat, a fat
*VAT*,
is the happiest *VAT* in life. In it men and women, grape harvesters,
culminate and celebrate their whole year of hard work, in a well-oiled
dance over the newly picked grapes, on which hopes for so much future
intoxication, joy, and warmth depend. In 1593, Arthur Golding, in his
translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses, wrote of "Harvest smeared with
treading grapes late at the pressing fat." The pressing fat is the
*VAT*
in which you smear yourself with grapes; in celebration of cornucopian
abundance, you cover yourself with the harvested fruit, impregnating
yourself, inside and out, with the purple prose of intoxication. The
grape *VAT* is a dyer's *VAT* in which the celebrants bathe, totally
immersing themselves in this bacchic baptism. Look in the mirror and
think of your fat as a great cask, a fat for stomping on grapes.
.
Shakespeare uses fat to mean *VAT* in Antony and Cleopatra, when the
Roman general worries about losing his martial enthusiasm in the
luxury
of Cleopatra's court. He says to her, "In thy fats our cares be
drowned"
(II, vii, 122). He doesn't mean he'll drown in her fat, but in her
wine
barrels. Although Cleopatra herself is a vessel containing infinite
amounts of pleasure, unimagined beauty, and ancient secrets, like
wine,
she makes generals lose their heads. In her body, in her fat, Antony
will drink and lose himself. The fats of Cleopatra are the emblem of
what one critic calls "the opposition of fat and effeminating Egypt to
lean and virile Rome in Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra." A little
earlier Pompey proposes to draw lots to see which of them will be the
first to give a banquet celebrating their alliance. Antony declines
to choose, but Pompey insists, teasing him for having tasted
too deeply at the banquet tables of Egypt.
.
Pompey. No, Antony, take the lot but first
Or last, your fine Egyptian cookery
Shall have the fame. I have heard that Julius Caesar
Grew fat with feasting there. [II, vi, 63]
.
By referring to Caesar's growing fat, Pompey is slyly evoking
Cleopatra,
who was Caesar's mistress before she became Antony's. The opposition
between virile Rome and effeminate Egypt is epitomized by the couch of
Cleopatra, on which all these Romans dream of making love, eating,
drinking, and getting fat. Caesar's fat, like Mark Antony's, is more
than just an extra roll of flab, it represents the accumulation of a
universe of pleasure so vast and deep that it can totally transform
the
character of even the leanest Roman centurion. If Caesar can, why not
grow fat with feasting?
.
There's an old proverb repeated in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress that
goes, "Every fat must stand on its own bottom." Allegorically it means
that each person should act on his own behalf, independently. A
*VAT*'s
bottom, a fat bottom, must stand alone, to keep what it contains from
seeping or leaking, to prevent any confusion of *VAT*s. Even today,
the
same meaning is used in a figurative sense when different schools
within
a single university are treated for budgetary purposes as distinct and
separate "tubs." The law school, the engineering school, arts and
sciences, each stands on its own, on its own bottom. Fat bottoms are
what guarantee the purity and the unity of whatever is supposed to go
together in a single tub. Fat stands on its own bottom, independent,
self-contained, held together by its own sense of integrity, of
separate
independence from others. Next time you look at your fat bottom, think
of what a sense of grounding it provides.
.
What's cute about tubby? TUBBY! The letter B, of course, is fat, so
you
have two big bursting bellies sticking out in tubby. But its true as
well that when a ship is derisively called a tub, it's too broad for
its
length. A tubby person is similarly wider than higher and like most
tubs
a likely butt of humor.
.
Like a ton, a fat of something is a measure that equals 9 gallons.
Ton,
by the way, comes from tonne, which in French means a big barrel, or
tub. Fat always refers to an amount, to the condition of there being
an
accumulated amount of something. As a noun, fat first meant *VAT*, but
as an adjective it has always referred in general to the bulk or
condition of things.>>
http://yachts.vi/stars/apr00.htm
.
<<The Roman poet-astronomer Hyginus placed a MULBERRY tree in front
of the constellation Hydra: Polyidus of Argos, a soothsayer who was
summoned to the court of King Minos of Crete. The king's son Glaucus
had mysteriously disappeared and Minos was advised that the person
who could give an appropriate comparison between a cow which assumed
three different colors and any other object, would know where to find
his son. Po1yidus saw the *COW as similar to MULBERRY tree* whose
fruit
was at first white, then red and finally black. He got the job to
find Glaucus. His prophetic powers enabled him
.
*to find the boy DROWNED in a VAT of honey* but
.
when Minos ordered Polyidus to bring the boy back to life, the
prophet couldn't deliver. Fortunately the king didn't chop his head
off but *ENTOMBED Polyidus with his son* . In the tomb he saw a snake
crawl towards the boy so he killed it. Another snake appeared and put
a leaf on the dead snake which was immediately brought back to life.
Polyidus put a piece of the leaf upon Glaucus who also revived
and after the two were rescued.>>
. The Merry Wives of Windsor Act 1, Scene 4
.
DOCTOR CAIUS *VAT* is you sing? I do not like des toys.
Pray you, go and vetch me in my closet un boitier VERT, a box,
. a GREEN-a box do intend *VAT* I speak? a GREEN-a box.
_____ *UN BOITIER VERT*
.
_____ *UN BOITER REVIT*
_____ *UN BOTTIER IVRE*
.
_____ *TRIBUTINO VERE*
_____ *VERO RUBINETTI*
. *VAT* W.S. ? VERE ?
. Shakespeare's Sonnet 15
.
When I consider EUERy thing that growes
Holds in perfection but a little moment.
That this huge stage presenteth nought but showes
Whereon the Stars in secret influence comment.
When I perceiue that men as plants increase,
Cheared and checkt euen by the selfe-same skie:
[V]aunt in their youthfull sap,at height decrease,
[A]nd were their braue state out of memory.
[T]hen the conceit of this inconstant stay,
[S]ets you most rich in youth before my sight,
[W]here WASTFULL time debateth with decay
To change your day of youth to sullied night,
. And all in war with Time for loue of you
. As he takes from you,I ingraft you new.
. King Henry V Act 5, Scene 2
.
KATHARINE: Pardonnez-moi, I cannot tell *VAT* is 'like me.'
.
KATHARINE: I cannot tell *VAT* is dat.
.
ALICE: Dat it is not be de fashion pour les ladies of
. France,--I cannot tell *VAT* is baiser en Anglish.
. The Merry Wives of Windsor Act 1, Scene 4
.
DOCTOR CAIUS: O diable, diable! *VAT* is in my closet? Villain!
larron!
.
. [Pulling SIMPLE out]
.
. Rugby, my rapier!
.
. Act 2, Scene 3
.
DOCTOR CAIUS: *VAT* is de clock, Jack?
.
DOCTOR CAIUS: *VAT* be all you, one, two, tree, four, come for?
.
DOCTOR CAIUS: Mock-VATer! *VAT* is dat?
.
DOCTOR CAIUS: Clapper-de-claw! *VAT* is dat?
.
. Act 4, Scene 5
.
DOCTOR CAIUS I cannot tell *VAT* is dat: but it is tell-a me
dat you make grand preparation for a duke de Jamany: by
my trot, dere is no duke dat the court is know to
come. I tell you for good vill: adieu.
.
. Act 5, Scene 3
.
DOCTOR CAIUS I know *VAT* I have to do. Adieu.
. Upon the Lines and Life of the Famous
. Scenicke Poet, Master W I L L I A M
. S H A K E S P E A R E
______ HUGH HOLLAND FF (1623)
. Scenicke = Cynic + Seneca
. Seneca did mention Cynic Diogenes' tub:
. http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/d/diogsino.htm
.
<<Diogenes was a Cynic philosopher of Sinope. . . Renouncing every
other object of ambition, he distinguished himself by his contempt
of riches and honors and by his invectives against luxury. He wore
a coarse CLOAK, carried a wallet & a staff, made the porticoes
and other public places his habitation, and depended upon casual
contributions for his daily bread. He asked a friend to procure
him a cell to live in; when there was a delay, he took up abode in
a pithos, or large tub, in the Metroum. It is probable, however,
that this was only a temporary expression of indignation & contempt,
and that he did not make it the settled place of his residence.
This famous "tub" is indeed celebrated by Juvenal; it is also
ridiculed by Lucian and mentioned by Seneca.>>
Shakespeare tomb, states that he:
*Left living art, But page, to serve his will*
.
. God <=> doG(enes)
. But <=> tuB
(To the m) [ *eMOry OF my beLOVED* ] *The Author*
(To them) [ *my OM, by FO(DEVere)OL* ] *VER(FASS)ER*

*FASS* : *CASK, BARREL, DRUM, HOGSHEAD, TUB, VAT* , keg (German)
*CADE* , n. [L. *CADUS* jar, Gr. ?.] A *BARREL* or *CASK* .
. King Henry VI, Part ii Act 3, Scene 1
.
[Drum. Enter *CADE*, DICK the Butcher, SMITH the
. Weaver, and a *SAWYER* , with infinite numbers]
.
CADE We John *CADE*, so termed of our supposed father,--
.
DICK [Aside] Or rather, of stealing a *CADE* of herrings.
. Tom *SAWYER* by Mark Twain
.
Tom took something out of his pocket.
"Do you remember this?" said he.
Becky almost smiled.
"It's our wedding-CAKE, Tom."
"Yes -- I wish it was as big as a *BARREL*, for it's all we've got."
. King Henry VI, Part ii Act 3, Scene 2
.
SUFFOLK: A jewel, lock'd into the wofull'st *CASK*
. That EVER did contain a thing of worth.
As Scrooge looked fixedly at this phenomenon, it was a KNOCKER again.
.
To say that he was not startled, or that his blood was not conscious
of a terrible sensation to which it had been a stranger from infancy,
would be UNTRUE. But he put his hand upon the key he had
relinquished, turned it sturdily, walked in, and lighted his *CANDLE*
He did pause, with a moment's irresolution, before he shut the door;
and he did look cautiously behind it first, as if he half-expected to
be
terrified with the sight of MARLEY's PIGtail sticking out into the
hall.
But there was nothing on the back of the door, except the screws and
nuts that held the KNOCKER on, so he said *POOH, POOH* !"
and closed it with a bang.
.
The sound resounded through the house like THUNDER.
EVERy room above, and
*EVERy CASK* in the wine-merchant's cellars below,
appeared to have a separate *PEAL of ECHOes* of its own.
Scrooge was not a man to be frightened by ECHOes.
He fastened the door, and walked across the hall, and up
the stairs; slowly too: trimming his *CANDLE* as he went.
. _THIS STAR OF ENGLAND_ Chapter Thirty 1581-83
. by Dorothy and Charlton Ogburn
.
Rom: Giue me a Torch, let wantons light of hart
. Tickle the senceles rushes with their heeles:
. For I am proUERbD with a Grandsire phrase,
. Ile be *a CANDLEholder* and looke on,
. The game was nere so faire and I am done.
.
Not only, [Romeo] means, is the proverb as old as his grandsire,
but his grandsire - his great-grandsire, to be exact - had been
named *TRUSSELL* his grandmother was Elizabeth *TRUSSELL* ; and a
*TRUSSELL* , the old spelling of *TRESTLE* , is a stand or frame
.
*TRUSSELL* : a stand for a *BARREL* [Kent]
Unaware of the wiles of the snake in the grass
And the fate of the maiden who topes,
She lowered her standards by raising her GLASS,
Her courage, her eyes and his hopes.
She sipped it, she drank it, she drained it, she did
And quietly he filled it again
And he said as he secretly carved one more notch
On the BUTT of his gold-handled cane.
"Have some Madeira, m'Dear!
I've got a small *CASK of it HERE*
And once it's been opened, you know it won't keep
Do finish it up, it will help you to sleep.
Have some Madeira, m'Dear!
It's really an excellent year.
Now if it were gin, you'd be wrong to say yes,
The evil gin does would be hard to assess
(Besides it's inclined to affect my prowess)
Have some Madeira, m'Dear!"
. Moby Dick - Melville
.
The lost life-buoy was now to be replaced; Starbuck was directed
to see to it; but as no *CASK* of sufficient lightness could be found,
and as in the fEVERish eagerness of what seemed the approaching
crisis of the voyage, all hands were impatient of any toil but what
was directly connected with its final end, whatever that might prove
to be; therefore, they were going to leave the ship's stern
unprovided with a buoy, when by certain strange signs
and inuendoes Queequeg HINTed a HINT concerning his coffin.
.
"A life-buoy of a coffin!" cried Starbuck, starting.
[FW 77.18] He afterwards whaanEVER his blaetther began to fail
off him and his rough bark was wholly husky and, stoop by stoop,
he neared it (wouldmanspare!) carefully lined the ferroconcrete
result with *rotproof BRICKS and mortar, FASSed to fossed* ,
and retired beneath the heptarchy of his towerettes, the
beauchamp, byward, bull and lion, the white, the wardrobe and
bloodied, so encouraging (insteppen, alls als hats beliefd!)
HAMLET: ALEXANDER died, ALEXANDER was buried,
. ALEXANDER returneth into dust; the dust is earth; of
. earth we make loam; and why of that loam, whereto he
. was converted, might they not stop a BEER-*BARREL*?

. Imperious Caesar, dead and turn'd to clay,
. Might stop a hole to keep the wind away:
. O, that that earth, which kept the world in awe,
. Should patch a WALL to expel the winter flaw!
[FW 72.15] Guilteypig's Bastard, Fast in the *BARREL*,
[FW 80.32] take that *BARREL* back where you got it, Mac Shane's
[FW 105.16] to a *BARREL* Organ Before the Rank,
[FW 138.19]Ivaun the Taurrible EVERy strongday morn; soaps you soft
to your face and slaps himself when he's badend; owns the bulgiest
*bungBARREL* that EVER was tiptapped in the privace of the Mullingar
[FW 179.3] at pointblank range blinking down
the *BARREL* of an irregular (REVO)lVER of the bulldog
with a purpose pattern, handled by an unknown QUARRELER
[FW 255.11] when his depth charge bombed our *BARREL* spillway
were to -- ! Jehosophat, what DOOM is HERE! RAIN RUTH on them, sire!
[FW 311.11] O, lord of the *BARRELs* , comer forth from Anow
[FW 351.3] A STRANGE man wearing *aBARREL*. And here's a gift
of meggs and teggs. And as I live by chipping nortons.
[FW 376.31] Morialtay and Kniferope Walker and Rowley
the *BARREL* . With Longbow of the lie. Slick of the trick
and Blennercassel of the brogue. Clanruckard for EVER! The
Fenn, the Fenn, the kinn of all Fenns ! Deaf to the winds
[FW 414.13] portable enveloped, inhowmuch, you will now parably
receive, care of one of Mooseyeare Goonness's registered
andouterthus *BARRELs* . Quick take um whiffat andrainit. Now!
[FW 419.18] The blarneyest blather in all Corneywall! But could
you, of course, decent Lettrechaun, we knew (to change your name of
not your nation) while still in the BARREL* , read the STRANGEwrote
anaglyptics of those shemletters patent for His Christian's Em?
-- Greek! Hand it to me !
[FW 429.8] a matter of maybe nine score or so
*BARRELhours* distance off as TRULY he merited to do.
[FW 439.12] so upturned the TUBSHEAD of the STARdaft journalwriter
to inspire the prime finisher to fellhim the firtree out of which
Cooper Funnymore planed the flat of the *beerBARREL* on which
my grandydad's lustiest sat his seat of unwisdom with
my tante's petted sister for the cause of his joy! Amene.
[FW 444.15] keep in the *gunBARREL* straight around
vokseburst as I recommence you to (you gypseyeyed baggage,
do you hear what I'm praying?)
[FW 472.4] The googoos of the SUCKabolly in the rockabeddy are
become the copiosity of wiseableness of the friarylayman in
the *pulpitBARREL*. May your bawny hair grow rarer and fairer,
[FW 506.4] He would let us have the three *BARRELs* .
. Such was a bitte too thikke
[FW 510.18] *EVERy old skin in the leather world*
infect the whole stock company of the old house of the Leaking
*BARREL* , was THOMIStically drunk, two by two, lairking o'
tootlers with tombours a'beggars, the blog and TURFS
[FW 529.18] come into awful position of the *BARREL*
of bellywash? And why, is it any harm to ask, was this
*HACKNEY man in the coombe* , a papersalor with a whiteluke
to him, Fauxfitzhuorson, collected from MANOFISLE
[FW 565.31] Shoe to me now, dear ! Shoom of me ! While *ElVERy*
stream winds seling on for to keep this *BARREL* of bounty
[FW 596.18] Gunnar, of The Gunnings, Gund; one of the two or
three foreFIVEst fellows a bloke could in holiday crowd encounter;
benedicted be the *BARREL*; kilderkins, lids off; a roache,
an OXMASTer, a sort of heaps, a pamphilius, a vintivat niviceny,
a hygiennic contrivance socalled from the editor
. Susan Vere died St. Brigit's day, 1629
. Brigid of Kildare V (Feast day February 1)
. (also known as Bride, Bridget, Brigit, Ffraid)
. http://users.erols.com/saintpat/ss/0201.htm
.
<<Even as a child Brigid showed special love for the poor. When her
mother sent her to collect butter, the child gave it all away. Her
generosity in adult life was legendary: It was recorded that if she
gave a drink of water to a thirsty stranger, the liquid turned into
milk; when she sent a *BARREL* of beer to one Christian community,
it proved to satisfy 17 more. Even her cows gave milk three times
the same day to provide milk for some visiting bishops.
.
In England, there are 19 ancient church dedications to her.
The most important of which is the oldest church in London-
-St. Bride's in Fleet Street--and the parish in which
St. Thomas ร  Becket was born - Bridewell or Saint Bride's Well.
.
She is usually portrayed in art with a cow lying at her feet,
a reference to a phase in her life as a cowgirl;
or holding a cross and casting out the devil.
.
Brigid is the patron saint of Ireland, POETS, DAIRYMAIDS,
blacksmiths, healers, cattle, fugitives, Irish nuns, midwives,
and new-born babies. She is still venerated highly in Alsace,
Flanders, & Portugal (Montague),
as well as Ireland & Chester, England.>>
http://lib.ru/PXESY/STOPPARD/r_g_engl.txt
ROS (with letter): We have a letter -
.
GUIL (snatches it, opens it): A letter - yes - that's TRUE.
That's something...a letter...(reads). "As England is Denmark's
faithful tributary... as love between them like the PALM might
flourish, etcetera... that on the knowing of this contents,
without delay of any kind, should those bearers, Rosencrantz and
Guildenstern, put to sudden death-" (He double takes.
ROS snatches the letter. GUIL snatches it back.
ROS snatches it halfback. They read it again and look up.)
(The PLAYER gets to his feet and walks over
to his *BARREL* and kicks it and shouts into it.)
.
PLAYER: They've gone-It's all over!
(One by one the players emerge, impossibly, from the *BARREL*,
and form a casually menacing circle round ROS and GUIL who
are still appalled and mesmerised.)
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEatlas/SEatlas2/SEatlas1841.GIF
Annular eclipse across North Pacific: February 23 1849
Melville letter to *EVER-T* Duyckinck: February 24 1849:
<<I have been passing my time VERy pleasurably *HERE* , But cheifly
in lounging on a sofa (a la the poet *Grey* ) & reading Shakspeare.
It is an edition in glorious great type, *EVERy* letter whereof is
a soldier, & *the top of EVERy-T like a musket BARREL* . Dolt & ass
that I am I have lived more *than 29 years* , & until a few days
ago, *nEVER* made close acquaintance with the *divine* William.
Ah, he's full of sermons-on-the-mount, and gentle, aye, almost as
*JE SUS* . I take such men to be inspired. I fancy that this
moment Shakspeare in heaven ranks with Gabriel, Raphael & Michael.
.
. And if another Messiah *EVER COMES*
. *T-WILL be in SHAKESPER's person*
.
-- I am *MAD* to think how minute a cause has prevented me hitherto
from reading Shakspeare. But until now, EVERy copy that was COMEatable
to me, happened to be in a *VILE* small print unendurable to my eyes
which are tender as young sparrows. But chancing to fall in with
this glorious edition, I now exult in it, *PAGE after PAGE* .>>
Melville panned Colonel Joseph C. Hart's _Romance of YACHTing_
http://www.english.uiuc.edu/baym/essays/delia_bacon.htm
.
<<[The first person to argue in print against Shakespeare's authorship
of the plays] seems to have been a [New York lawyer], Colonel Joseph
C. Hart, who claimed in his Romance of YACHTing: Voyage the First
(New York: Harper & Bros., 1848) that the plays were collaboratively
authored by diverse hands, the best parts written by Ben Jonson and
the stage-manager Shakespeare's occasional contributions identifiable
by their vulgarity. Shakespeare 'purchased or obtained
surreptitiously'
other men's plays which he then 'spiced with obscenity,
blackguardism and impurities'.>>
_______ *LADY MACBETH*
_______ *BEDLAM YACHT*
http://www.jpj.demon.co.uk/jpjlife.htm
.
<<Sir John Anstruther who owned a mansion on the north shore of the
Firth of Forth was worried that the American "pirate" might attack. He
had a cannon and shot to protect himself but no powder so he sent his
YACHT out to borrow a *BARREL* of gunpowder from H.M.S.'Romney' which
was nearby. The YACHT mistook the 'Bonhomme Richard' for the 'Romney'.
In return for information on coastal defences innocently given
by the boatman, ironically Jones gave him the gunpowder!>>
. 1 KINGS 17
.
17:11 And as she was going to fetch it, he called to her, and said,
Bring me, I pray thee, a morsel of bread in thine hand. And she said,
As
the LORD thy God liveth, I have not a cake, but an handful of meal in
*BARREL*, and a little oil in a cruse: and, behold, I am gathering two
sticks, that I may go in and dress it for me and my son, that we may
eat
it, and die. And Elijah said unto her, Fear not; go and do as thou
hast
said: but make me thereof a little cake first, and bring it unto me,
and after make for thee and for thy son. For thus saith the LORD God
of
Israel, The *BARREL* of meal shall not waste, neither shall the cruse
of oil fail, until the day that the LORD sendeth rain upon the earth.
And she went and did according to the saying of Elijah: and she, and
he,
and her house, did eat many days.
---------------------ยญ------------------------------ยญ-----------
CUP, n. [AS. CUPpe, LL. CUPpa CUP; cf. L. CUPa TUB, *CASK*.
Cf. {COWL} a water vessel.] 1. A small vessel, used commonly
to drink from; as, a TIN CUP, a silVER CUP, a WINE CUP.
.
COWL, n. [AS. cuhle, cugle, cugele; cf. dial. G. kogel, gugel,
OF. coule, goule; all fr. LL. cuculla, CUCUllus, fr. L. CUCUllus
cap, hood; perh. akin to celare *to conceal*, cella cell.]
1. A monk's hood; -- usually attached to the gown.
The name was also applied to the hood and garment together.
.
. What differ more, you cry, than crown and COWL? --Pope.
.
COWL, n. [Cf. OF. cuvele, cuvel, dim. of F. cuve *TUB, VAT* ,
fr. L. cupa. See {Cup}.] A vessel carried on a pole between
. two persons, for conveyance of water. --Johnson.
.
CUCUllus, n. [L., a hood.] 1. Roman hood or COWL.
. Poe, Edgar Allan THE *CASK* OF AMONTILLADO
.
"The Montresors," I replied, "were a great and numerous family."
.
"I forget your arms."
.
"A huge human foot d'or, in a field azure; the foot crushes
a serpent rampant whose fangs are imbedded in the heel."
.
"And the motto?"
.
*Nemo me impune lacessit*
Motto of Scotland and of the Order of the THISTLE
___ *Nemo me impune lacessit*
__ *No one attacks me with impunity*
.
. The Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the THISTLE
. was revived by King James II May 29,1687.
.
<<Alice dodged behind a great THISTLE, to keep herself from being run
over; and the moment she appeared on the other side, the PUPPY made
another rush at the stick, and tumbled *HEAD* over heels in its hurry
to get hold of it; then Alice, thinking it was VERy like having
a game of play with a cart-horse, and expecting EVERy moment
to be trampled under its feet, ran round the THISTLE again.>>
. Vasco Nuรฑez de Balboa & Leoncito
http://www.bruce.ruiz.net/PanamaHistory/vasco_nunez_balboa_1.htm
.
<<Balboa joined Ponce de Leon on expeditions against [Haitian]
natives.
In gratitude for his service, Ponce de Leon gave Balboa, a PUPPY,
son of his prized Spanish Mastiff dog. Balboa name the PUPPY Leoncito
(little Lion), in honor of Ponce. When an expedition headed by Ojeda,
left Espanola to colonize the mainland of South America Balboa tried,
unsuccessfully to join; but, his creditors prevented him from leaving.
So Balboa and his dog Leoncico stowed away in an *empty biscuit
BARREL*
Encisco sailed on September 1, 1510 with 2 ships, a caravel
and a brigantine, and 2 stowaways. In 1518, Governor Dรกvila falsely
accused Balboa of treason. Balboa was beHEADed for high treason in
January 1519 at Darien before a Royal pardon could be obtained.>>
(To the m) [ *eMOry OF my beLOVED* ] *The Author*
(To them) [ *my OM, by FO(DEVere)OL* ] *VER(FASS)ER*

*FASS* : *CASK, BARREL, DRUM, HOGS-HEAD, TUB* , keg, vat (German)
"By the way," said the TIN Soldier,
. "what EVER became of my old *HEAD* , Ku-Klip?"
.
"And of the different parts of our bodies?" added the TIN Woodman.
.
"Let me think a minute," replied Ku-Klip. "If I remember right, you
two
boys used to bring me most of your parts, when they were cut off, and
saved them in that *BARREL* in the corner. You must not have brought
me
all the parts, for when I made Chopfyt I had hard work finding enough
pieces to complete the job. I finally had to finish him with one arm."
.
"Who is Chopfyt?"inquired Woot.
.
"Oh, haven't I told you about Chopfyt?" exclaimed Ku- Klip.
"Of course not! And he's quite a curiosity, too. You'll be
interested in hearing about Chopfyt. This is how he happened:
.
"One day, after the Witch had been destroyed and Nimmie Amee had gone
to live with her friends on Mount Munch, I was looking around the
shop for something and came upon the bottle of Magic Glue which I had
brought from the old Witch's house. It occurred to me to piece
together
the odds and ends of you two people, which of course were just as good
as EVER, and see if I couldn't make a man out of them. If I succeeded,
I would have an assistant to help me with my work, and I thought it
would be a clEVER idea to put to some practical use the scraps of
Nick Chopper and Captain Fyter. There were two perfectly good *HEAD*s
in my *CUPBOARD*, and a lot of feet and legs and parts of bodies
in the *BARREL*, so I set to work to see what I could do.
.
"First, I pieced together a body, gluing it with the Witch's Magic
Glue, which worked perfectly. That was the hardest part of my job,
howEVER, because the bodies didn't match up well and some parts
were missing. But by using a piece of Captain Fyter here and a piece
of Nick Chopper there, I finally got together a VERy decent body,
with *HEART* and all the trimmings complete."
.
"Whose *HEART* did you use in making asked the TIN Woodman anxiously.
. the body?"
.
"I can't tell, for the parts had no tags on them and one *HEART* looks
much like another. After the body was completed, I glued two fine
legs and feet onto it. One leg was Nick Chopper's and one was Captain
Fyter's and, finding one leg longer than the other, I trimmed it down
to make them match. I was much disappointed to find that I had but
one arm. There was an extra leg in the *BARREL*, but I could find
only one arm. Having glued this onto the body, I was ready for the
*HEAD*, and I had some difficulty in making up my mind which *HEAD* to
use. Finally I shut my eyes and reached out my hand toward the
*CUPBOARD* shelf, and the first *HEAD* I touched I glued upon my new
man."
[FW 41.17] (our boys, as our Byron called them) were
up and ashuffle from the HOGShome they lovenaned
The *BARREL*, cross Ebblinn's chilled HAMLET
On April 9, 1826 Byron was caught in the RAIN while out riding and
died of malarial fever at age 36 in the Greek city of Missolonghi
.
<<He had come to Greece with Italian adventurer Count Pietro Gamba.
In the margin of a section of the second canto of Childe Harold's
Pilgrimage Byron wrote a note asking suggestively who might rule
Greece. (Byron was related to the STUARTS through his mother.)
Byron's body was returned to England *in a brine BARREL*,
for burial in Westminster Abbey (the Church vetoed that,
and Byron was entombed in the family crypt in Hucknall),
but his *HEART* and viscera was inurned in Missolonghi.
The urn exploded years later from the buildup of gases.>>
Playmate come out and play with me,
and bring you dollies three, climb up my apple tree
*look down my RAIN BARREL* slide down my cellar door
and we'll be jolly friends forEVER more.
When that I was and a little tiny boy,
With hey, ho, the wind and the *RAIN* ,
A FOOLish thing was but a toy,
For the *RAIN it RAINeth* EVERy day.
____ *FRASS* : RAINfall, shower (Manx)
__ *VERE FRASS*
____ {anagram}
__ *VERFASSER* : AUTHOR (German)
<<It had been a thing, we confess, worthy to have been wished, that
*THE AUTHOR* himself had liVED to haVE set FORTH, and overseen his own
writings; but since it hath been ordained otherwise, and he by death
departed from that right, we pray you do not envy his friends the
office
of their care and pain to have collected and published them, and so to
have published them; as where (before) you were abused with *DIVERsE*
stolen and surreptitious copies, maimed and deformed by the frauds of
injurious impostors that exposed them; even those are now offered to
your view cured, and perfect of their limbs, and all the rest,
absolute
in their numbers [verses], as he conceived them. Who, as he was a
happy
imitator of Nature, was a most gentle expressor of it. His mind and
hand
went together, and what he thought he uttered with that easiness that
we
have scarce REcEiVED from him a blot in his papers. But it is not our
province, who only gather his works and give them you, to praise him.
It
is yours that read him. And there we hope to your DIVERs capacities
you
will find enough both to draw and hold you: for his wit can no more
lie
hid than it could be lost. Read him therefore; and again, and again.
Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship. Book IV Chapter III
.
SEEING the company so favourably disposed, Wilhelm now hoped he might
farther have it in his power to converse with them on the poetic merit
of the pieces which might come before them. 'It is not enough,' said
he next day, when they were all again assembled, 'for the actor
merely to glance over a dramatic work, to judge of it by his first
impression, and thus, without investigation, to declare his
satisfaction or dissatisfaction with it. Such things may be allowed in
a spectator, whose purpose it is rather to be entertained and moved
than formally to criticise. But the actor, on the other hand, should
be prepared to give a reason for his praise or censure: and how shall
he do this, if he have not taught himself to penetrate the sense,
the *VIE-WS* and feelings of his *AUTHOR* ? A common error is, to form
a judgment of a drama from a single part in it; and to look upon this
part itself in an isolated point of view, not in its connexion with
the whole. I have noticed this, within a few days, so clearly in my
own conduct, that I will give you the account as an example,
if you please to hear me patiently.
. High Life below Stairs. Act ii. Sc. 1.
a Farce in Two Acts. as performed by David Garrick, Esq.
LADY BAB: I got into my favourite *AUTHOR*
.
*DUKE* : Yes, I found her ladyship at her studies this morning.
. -Some wicked poem.
.
LADY BAB: Oh, you wretch! *I NEVER READ* but one book.
.
KITTY: What is it that your ladyship is so fond of?
.
LADY BAB: Shikspur. Did you *NEVER READ* Shikspur?
.
SIR HARRY: *I NEVER (h)EARD* of it.
.
KITTY: Shikspur! Shikspur! Who wrote it?
. No, *I NEVER READ* Shikspur!
.
LADY BAB: Then you have an immense pleasure to come.
.
KITTY: Well, then, I'll read it OVER one afternoon or other.>>
Thomas Shelton's Don Quixote, Part 1. The Second Book II.
Of That Which After Befel Don Quixote When He Had Left the Ladies
.
. 'The TRUTH is,' quoth Sancho,
. 'that *I have NEVER READ* any history;
. for I can neither read nor write:'
The Fourth Book XX. Wherein Is Prosecuted the MANNER of
Don Quixote's Enchantment, with Other Famous Occurrences
.
WHEN Don Quixote saw himself to be encaged after that MANNER,
and placed in the cart, he said, 'I have read many and VERy grave
histories of knights-errant, but *I NEVER READ*, saw, nor heard
that they were wont to carry knights-errant enchanted after this
MANNER, and with the leisure that those slothful and heavy beasts
do threaten; for they were EVER accustomed to be carried in the
air with wonderful speed, shut in some dusky and obscure cloud,
or in some fiery chariot, or on some hippogriff, or some other
such like beast; but that they carry me now *on a team of OXEN* ,
I protest it drives me into a great amazement; but perhaps both
chivalry, and the enchantments of these our times, do follow
a course different from those of former ages; and per-adventure
it may also be, that as I am a new knight in the world, and
the first that hath again revived the now neglected and
forgotten exercise of arms, so have they also newly invented
other kinds of enchantments, and other MANNERs of carrying away
enchanted knights. What dost thou think of this, son Sancho?'
. King Henry VI, Part ii Act 1, Scene 1
.
YORK: *I NEVER READ* but England's kings have had
. Large sums of gold and dowries with their wives:
. And our King Henry gives away his own,
. To match with her that brings no vantages.
. Measure for Measure Act 3, Scene 2
.
DUKE VINCENTIO. *I NEVER (h)EARD* the absent *DUKE*
. much detected for women; he was not inclined that way.
_____*I NEVER READ*
_____*DE VERE: RAIN*
--------------------------------
_____*I NEVER (h)EARD*
_____*DE VERE: RAIN*
. A Midsummer Night's Dream Act 4, Scene 1
.
HIPPOLYTA: *nEVER Did I hEAR*
. Such gallant chiding: for, besides the groves,
. The skies, the FOUNTAINS, EVERy region near
. Seem'd all one mutual cry: *I NEVER (h)EARD*
. So musical a discord, such sweet thunder.
. ( JOYCE: Ulysses, Oxen of the Sun )
.
And there was *a VAT of silVER that was moved by CRAFT* to open in
the which lay *STRANGE fishes withouten heads* though misbelieving
men nie that this be possible thing without they see it natheless
they are so. And these fishes lie in an oily water brought there
from Portugal land because of the fatness that therein is like to
the juices of the olive press. And also it was MARVEL to see in that
castle how by magic they make a compost out of fecund wheat kidneys
out of Chaldee that by aid of certain angry spirits that they do
into it swells up wondrously like to a vast mountain. And they
teach the serpents there to entwine themselves up on long sticks
out of the ground and of the scales of these serpents they
brew out a brewage like to mead.
. The Merchant of Venice Act 2, Scene 8
.
SALANIO: *I NEVER (h)EARD* a passion so confused,
. So *STRANGE*, outrageous, and so variable,
. As the dog Jew did utter in the streets:
. 'My daughter! O my ducats! O my daughter!
. The Merry Wives of Windsor Act 2, Scene 1
.
PAGE: *I NEVER (h)EARD* such a drawling, affecting rogue.
.
. Act 3, Scene 1
.
SHALLOW: I have lived fourscore years and upward;
. *I NEVER (h)EARD* a man of his place, gravity
. and learning, so wide of his own respect.
. As You Like It Act 4, Scene 3
.
SILVIUS. So please you, for *I NEVER (h)EARD* it yet;
. Yet heard too much of Phebe's cruelty.
. Measure for Measure Act 1, Scene 2
.
2nd Gentleman: *I NEVER (h)EARD* any soldier dislike it.
. The Winter's Tale Act 5, Scene 2
.
Third Gentleman: *I NEVER (h)EARD* of such
. another encounter, which lames report to
. follow it and undoes description to do it.
. *lL.O.VER?* BOY
____*I WILL RAIN* : *YO lLOVER?* (Spanish)
____*RAIN* : *lLOVER* (Spanish)
The History of the Valorous &
Witty Knight-Errant Don Quixote of the Mancha
.
. by Thomas Shelton
.
CHAPTER I: How the Vicar and the Barber passed their Time
with Don Quixote, touching his Infirmity
.
To the voices and the reasons of the crazy person they were the kind
circustantes, but our lawyer, becoming to our chaplain and taking
root to him of the hands, said to him: ' ' he does not have your
favor he suffers, Sir mine, nor he makes case of which this crazy
person is saying, that if he is Jupiter and will not want *TO RAIN* ,
*I, that I am Neptune, the father and the God of waters, WILL RAIN*
*EVERY* time she feels like to me and he is menester''.
.
All these horsemen, and other many that could say, Sir cures,
were horsemen andante, light and glory of the cavalry.
D?stos, or such as these, loved I that were those of my will,
that, to being it, His Majesty was well served and saved
of much cost, and the Turk remained pelando the beards,
and with this, I do not want to be in my house, because
it does not remove to the chaplain della to me; and
if its Jupiter, since the barber has said, does not rain,
here I am I, that *I WILL RAIN* when one will feel like to me.
-------------------------------
Cap'tulo Primero. De lo que el cura y el barbero pasaron
con don Quijote cerca de su enfermedad
.
A las voces y a las razones del loco estuvieron los circustantes
atentos, pero nuestro licenciado, volvi?ndose a nuestro
capell'n y asi'ndole de las manos, le dijo: ''No tenga vuestra
merced pena, se'or m'o, ni haga caso de lo que este loco
ha dicho, que si 'l es J'piter y no quisiere *lLOVER* , YO,
que soy Neptuno, el padre y el dios de las aguas, *lLOVER?*
todas las veces que se me antojare y fuere menester''.
.
Todos estos caballeros, y otros muchos que pudiera decir,
se?or cura, fueron caballeros andantes, luz y gloria de
la caballer?a. D?stos, o tales como ?stos, quisiera yo que
fueran los de mi arbitrio, que, a serlo, Su Majestad
se hallara bien servido y ahorrara de mucho gasto,
y el Turco se quedara pelando las barbas, y con esto,
no quiero quedar en mi casa, pues no me saca
el capell?n della; y si su J?piter, co-mo ha dicho
el barbero, no *LLOVIERE* , aqu? estoy yo,
que *lLOVER?* cuando se me antojare.
-------------------------------
. King Richard II Act 1, Scene 2
.
JOHN OF GAUNT: Who, when they see the hours ripe on earth,
. *WILL RAIN* hot vengeance on offenders' *HEAD*s.
____*RANN* : division, division of rank, line (Manx)
____*RANN* : a quatrain, section, verse , (Scottish).
. The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly
.
Have you heard of one Humpty Dumpty
How he fell with a roll and a rumble
And curled up like Lord Olofa Crumple
By the butt of the Magazine Wall,
. (Chorus) Of the Magazine Wall,
. Hump, helmet and all?
.
He was one time our King of the Castle
Now he's kicked about like a rotten old parsnip.
And from GREEN street he'll be sent by order of His Worship
To the penal jail of Mountjoy
. (Chorus) To the jail of Mountjoy!
. Jail him and joy.
.
He was fafafather of all schemes for to bother us
Slow coaches and immaculate contraceptives for the populace,
Mare's milk for the sick, seven dry Sundays a week,
Openair love and religion's reform,
. (Chorus) And religious reform,
. Hideous in form.
.
Arrah, why, says you, couldn't he manage it?
I'll go bail, my fine dairyman darling,
Like the bumping bull of the Cassidys
All your butter is in your horns.
. (Chorus) His butter is in his horns.
. Butter his horns!
.
(Repeat) Hurrah there, Hosty, frosty Hosty,
. change that shirt on ye,
Rhyme the *RANN* , the king of all *RANNS* !
.
. Balbaccio, balbuccio!
.
We had chaw chaw chops, chairs, chewing gum,
. the chicken-pox and china chambers
Universally provided by this soffsoaping salesman.
Small wonder He'll Cheat E'erawan our local lads nicknamed him.
When Chimpden first took the floor
. (Chorus) With his bucketshop store
. Down Bargainweg, Lower.
.
So snug he was in his hotel premises sumptuous
But soon we'll bonfire all his trash, tricks and trumpery
And 'tis short till sheriff Clancy'll
. be winding up his unlimited company
With the bailiff's bom at the door,
. (Chorus) Bimbam at the door.
. Then he'll bum no more.
.
Sweet bad luck on the waves washed to our island
The hooker of that hammerfast viking
And Gall's curse on the day when Eblana bay
Saw his black and tan man-o'-war.
. (Chorus) Saw his man-o'-war
. On the harbour bar.
.
Where from? roars Poolbeg. Cookingha'pence, he bawls
. Donnez-moi scampitle, wick an wipin'fampiny
Fingal Mac Oscar Onesine Bargearse Boniface
Thok's min gammelhole Norveegickers moniker
Og as ay are at gammelhore Norveegickers cod.
. (Chorus) A Norwegian camel old cod.
. He is, begod.
.
Lift it, Hosty, lift it, ye devil, ye!
. up with the *RANN*, the rhyming *RANN*!
.
It was during some fresh water garden pumping
Or, according to the Nursing Mirror,
. while admiring the monkeys
That our heavyweight heathen Humpharey
Made bold a maid to woo
. (Chorus) Woohoo, what'll she doo!
. The general lost her maidenloo!
.
He ought to blush for himself, the old hayHEADed philosopher,
For to go and shove himself that way on top of her.
Begob, he's the crux of the catalogue
Of our antediluvial zoo,
. (Chorus) Messrs Billing and Coo.
. Noah's larks, good as noo.
.
He was joulting by Wellinton's monument
Our rotorious hippopopotamuns
When some bugger let down the backtrap of the omnibus
And he caught his death of fusiliers,
. (Chorus) With his rent in his rears.
. Give him six years.
.
'Tis sore pity for his innocent poor children
But look out for his missus legitimate!
When that frew gets a grip of old Earwicker
Won't there be earwigs on the GREEN?
. (Chorus) Big earwigs on the GREEN,
. The largest EVER you seen.
.
. Suffoclose! Shikespower! Seudodanto! Anonymoses!
.
Then we'll have a free trade Gael's band and mass meeting
For to sod him the brave son of ScandiknaVERy.
And we'll bury him down in Oxmanstown
Along with the devil and the Danes,
. (Chorus) With the deaf and dumb Danes,
. And all their remains.
.
And not all the king's men nor his horses
Will resurrect his corpus
For there's no TRUE spell in Connacht or hell
. (bis) That's able to raise a Cain.
.
. -- James Joyce
http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/389.html

<<The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly is...written in the language
of Finnegan's Wake, which is a kind of 'Babylonish Dialect'
- a phrase used by Dr Johnson is speaking of Milton's language
in Paradise Lost. Mr Eliot has pointed out the parallel
between the blind and musically gifted Milton and the blind
and musically gifted Joyce. Joyce's blindness or near-blindness
forced him away from the visual to the musical and emotional
associations of words, and his linguistic erudition supplied
another element for the construction of the language of
Finnegan's Wake...
.
... Finnegan's Wake - 'a compound of fable, symphony and
nightmare' (Campbell and Robinson) - is an allegory on many
planes of 'the fall and resurrection of mankind. The 'hero'
is H. C. Earwicker, a Dublin tavern-keeper in Chapelizod,
whose universal quality is indicated by the names
*HERE COMES EVERybody* and Haveth Childers EVERywhere.
He is a candidate in a local election, but he loses his
reputation as a result of some nEVER quite defined impropriety
in Phoenix Park, and suffers from the guilt of it EVER
afterwards. In another context of meaning Phoenix Park is
the Garden of Eden and the impropriety is Original Sin.
Three down-and-outs, Peter Cloran, O'Mara and Hosty,
'an ill-starred beachbusker', pick up the rumour of
Earwicker's Fall, and Hosty lampoons him in the 'rann',
'The Ballad of Persse O'Reilly'.
Note that perce-oreille = earwig.>>
.
-- Kenneth Allott, The Penguin Book of Contemporary Verse.
[FW 44] Hitchcock hoisted his fezzy fuzz at bludgeon's height
signum to his companions of the chalice for the Loud Fellow,
boys' and silentium in curia! (our maypole once more where he
rose of old) and the canto was chantied there chorussed and
christened where by the old tollgate, Saint Annona's Street
and Church. And around the lawn the *RANN* it *RANN* and
this is the *RANN* that Hosty made. Spoken. Boyles and Cahills,
Skerretts and Pritchards, VIERsified and piersified may the
treeth we tale of live in stoney. HERE line the refrains of.
Some vote him Vike, some mote him Mike, some dub him Llyn
and Phin while others hail him Lug Bug Dan Lop, Lex, Lax,
Gunne or Guinn. Some apt him Arth, some bapt him Barth,
Coll, Noll, Soll, Will, Weel, Wall but I parse him
Persse O'Reilly else he's called no name at all.
Together. Arrah, leave it to Hosty, frosty Hosty, leave it
to Hosty for he's the mann to rhyme the *RANN*, the *RANN*,
the *RANN*, the king of all *RANNS*. Have you here? (Some ha)
Have we where? (Some hant) Have you hered? (Others do)
Have we whered? (Others dont) It's cumming, it's brumming!
The clip, the clop! (All cla) Glass crash. The
(klikkaklakkaklaskaklopatzklatschabattacreppycrotty
.graddaghsemmihsammihnouithappluddyappladdypkonpkot!).
[FW 363.5] There you are! And why? Why, HITCH a COCK eye,
he was snapped on the sly upsadaisying coras pearls out of the
*PIE* when all the perts in princer street set up their TINKER's
humn, (the *RANN*, the *RANN*, that keen of old bards), with
them newnesboys pearcin screaming off their armsworths. The
boss made dovesandraves out of his bucknesst while herself
WEARS the bowler's hat in her bath. Deductive Almayne ROGERS
disguides his voice, shetters behind hoax chestnote from exexive.
.
[FW 451.15] Solman Annadromus, ye god of little pescies, nothing
would stop me for mony makes multimony like the brogues and the
kishes. Not the Ulster Rifles and the Cork Milice and the Dublin
Fusees and Connacht Rangers ensembled! I'd axe the channon
and leip a liffey and drink annyblack water that *RANN* onme way.
.
[FW 580.33] till it croppied the ears of Purses Relle that
kneed O'Connell up out of his doss that shouldered Burke that
butted O'Hara that woke the busker that grattaned his crowd
that bucked the jiggers to rhyme the *RANN* that flooded the
routes in Eryan's isles from Malin to Clear and Carnsore Point
to Slynagollow and cleaned the pockets arid ransomed the ribs
of all the listeners, leud and lay, that bought the ballad
that Hosty made.

---------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

Art Neuendorffer

Jul 26, 2007, 6:16:43โ€ฏPM7/26/07
THE SECOND BOOKE OF THE FAERIE QVEENE.

The which O pardon me thus to enfold
In couert VELE, and WRAP in shadowes light,
That FEEBLE eyes your glory may behold,
Which else could not endure those beames bright,
But would be dazled with exceeding light.
. Delia Bacon: Hawthorne's Last Heroine* by Nina Baym
.
http://www.english.uiuc.edu/baym/essays/last_heroine.htm
.
"She went thither with a dark lantern, which could but twinkle like a
glow-worm through the volume of obscurity that filled the great dusky
edifice.... She threw the FEEBLE ray of her lantern up towards the
bust,
but could not make it visible beneath the darkness of the vaulted
roof.
.
Had she been subject to superstitious terrors, it is impossible to
conceive of a situation that could better entitle her to feel them,
for if Shakespeare's ghost would rise at any provocation,
it must have shown itself then;
. The Halliwell or Regius MS : 7th article
.
. Thieves he shall harbour never one,
. Nor him that hath killed a man,
. Nor the same that hath a FEEBLE name,
. Lest it would turn the CRAFT to shame.
.
FEEBLE: By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once:
. *we OWE GOD A DEATH*
.
On Sunday, Feb. 15, 1601, Essex (dressed in black)
came before his old friend FRANCIS Bacon to state:
"I am indifferent how I speed. *I OWE GOD A DEATH* "
http://shakespeareauthorship.com/wds1.html
.
. 6-letter Words: FEEBLE:0302u
.
t{O}.th[E].on[L]ie.[B]eg[E]tt[E]r.o[F].
.
23 E's 22 E's 2 B's 6 L's 21 E's (left)
.
probability of FEEBLE with a skip of 3 (or less): 1 / 118,000
. = 6*[(23*22*2*6*21)/(143*142*141*140*139)]
FEEBLE I WILL do my good WILL, sir; you can have no more.
.
FALSTAFF Well said, good woman's TAILOR! well said,
. courageous FEEBLE! thou wilt be as valiant as the
. wrathful dove or most magnanimous mouse. Prick the
woman's TAILOR: well, Master Shallow; DEEP, Master Shallow.
"Greg Reynolds" <even...@core.com> wrote

> The Tilbury speech
> Meanwhile, the threat of invasion from the Netherlands
> had not been discounted. On August 8, Elizabeth went
> to Tilbury to encourage her forces, and the next day
> gave to them what is probably her most famous speech:
>
> "... I am come amongst you as you see, at this time, not
> for my recreation and disport, but being resolved in the
> midst and heat of the battle to live or die amongst you
> all, to lay down for my God and for my kingdom, and for
> my people, my honour and my blood, even in the dust...
> ...I know I have the body of a weak and FEEBLE woman,
> but I have the HEART and stomach of a king, and of a king
> of England too..."
(1592 Greene/Chettle): "Tygers HART WRAPt in a Players hyde"
<<I am as sory, as if the originall fault had beene my fault, . . .
diuers of worship haue reported [Robert Greene's] uprightness of
dealing, which argues his honesty and his FACETIOUS grace in
writting,>>
-- CHETTLE, HENRY, 1592, KIND-HART's Dreame, ed. Rimbault, Preface,
The TRUE Tragedie of Richard Duke of Yorke, and the death of
good King Henrie the Sixt in an octavo of 1595. (Act 1, Sc. 4)
.
YORK: Oh Tygers HART WRAPt in a womans hide?
Petrarch's Rime sparse:
.
LAURA. . . has a "TIGER's or she-bear's HEART" (152.1)
.
. [Italian LORDS were called "TIGERNA"]
.
http://muse.jhu.edu/demo/cls/36.3migraine-george.html
(GENEVA) Proverbs Chapter 22:11 He that loveth pureness of HEART
for the grace of his LiPS, the King shall be his friend. The eyes of
the Lord preserve knowledge: but he overthroweth the words of the
transgressor. The slothful man saith, A LION is without, I shall be
slain in the street. The mouth of strange women is as a DEEP pit:
he with whom the Lord is angry, shall fall therein. Foolishness is
bound in the HEART of a child: but the rod of correction shall drive
it away from him. He that oppresseth the poor to increase himself,
and giveth unto the rich, shall surely come to poverty.
http://shakespeareauthorship.com/wds1.html
.
. 6-letter Words: FEEBLE:0302u.
.
. 4-letter Words: DEEP:0302u
. HART:0302u
. Measure for Measure Act 5, Scene 1
.
ANGELO: And so DEEP sticks it in my penitent HEART
. That I crave death more willingly than mercy;
. Titus Andronicus Act 4, Scene 4
.
TAMORA: The effects of sorrow for his valiant sons,
. Whose loss hath pierced him DEEP and scarr'd his HEART;
. Sonnet 133
.
Beshrew that HEART that makes my HEART to groan
For that DEEP wound it gives my friend and me!
. The Merchant of Venice Act 4, Scene 1
.
ANTONIO: For if the Jew do cut but DEEP enough,
. I'll pay it presently with all my HEART.
. Macbeth Act 5, Scene 3
.
MACBETH: Curses, not loud but DEEP, mouth-honour, breath,
. Which the poor HEART would fain deny, and dare not.
. Venus and Adonis Stanza 61
.
O, give it me, lest thy hard HEART do steel it,
And being steel'd, soft sighs can never grave it:
Then love's DEEP groans I never shall regard,
Because Adonis' HEART hath made mine hard.'
.
Affection is a coal that must be cool'd;
Else, suffer'd, it will set the HEART on fire:
The sea hath bounds, but DEEP desire hath none;
Therefore no marvel though thy horse be gone.
. The Rape of Lucrece Stanza 40
.
My HEART shall never countermand mine eye:
Sad pause and DEEP regard beseem the sage;
My part is youth, and beats these from the stage:
Desire my pilot is, beauty my prize;
Then who fears sinking where such treasure lies?'
On Heroes and Hero Worship and the Heroic - Thomas Carlyle
.
Strong sons of Nature; and here was not only a wild Captain
and Fighter; discerning with his wild flashing eyes what to do, with
his
wild LION-HEART daring and doing it; but a Poet too, all that we mean
by
a Poet, Prophet, great devout Thinker and Inventor, -- as the truly
Great Man ever is. A Hero is a Hero at all points; in the soul and
thought of him first of all. This Odin, in his rude semi-articulate
way,
had a word to speak. A great HEART laid open to take in this great
Universe, and man's Life here, and utter a great word about it. A
Hero,
as I say, in his own rude manner; a wise, gifted, noble-HEARTed man.
And
now, if we still admire such a man beyond all others, what must these
wild Norse souls, first awakened into thinking, have made of him! To
them, as yet without names for it, he was noble and noblest; Hero,
Prophet, God; _Wuotan_, the greatest of all. Thought is Thought,
however
it speak or spell itself. Intrinsically, I conjecture, this Odin must
have been of the same sort of stuff as the greatest kind of men. A
great
thought in the wild *DEEP HEART* of him! The rough words he
articulated,
are they not the rudimental roots of those English words we still use?
He worked so, in that obscure element. But he was as a _light_ kindled
in it; a light of Intellect, rude Nobleness of HEART, the only kind of
lights we have yet; a Hero, as I say: and he had to shine there, and
make his obscure element a little lighter,
. [Hamlet (Quarto 2) 5.2]
.
Ham. O god Horatio, what a wounded NAME
. Things standing thus vnknowne, shall I leaue beHIND me?
. If thou did'st EUER hold me in thy HART,
.
Hora. Now cracks a noble HART, good night sweete Prince,
. And flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest.
. Why dooes the drum come hether?
. A DEEP HART
0302u: TFIEIRNDNSLWTEIEGVREODIRINT A DEEP HART NGVIE FEEBLEO
HART (Heb. 'ayal): a stag or male deer. It is ranked among the clean
animals (Deut. 12:15; 14:5; 15:22), and was commonly killed for food
(1 Kings 4:23). The HART is frequently alluded to in the poetical
and prophetical books (Isa. 35:6; Cant. 2:8, 9; Lam. 1:6; Ps. 42:1):
.
HART: In Christian art, the emblem of solitude and purity of life.
It was the attribute of St. Hubert, St. Julian, and St. Eustace.
It was also the type of piety and religious aspiration.
.
Psalm 42:1 To him that excelleth. A Psalm to give instruction,
committed to the sons of Korah. As the HART brayeth for
the rivers of water, so panteth my soul after thee, O God.
.
The White HART, or HIND, with a golden chain, in public-house signs,
is the badge of Richard II., which was worn by all his courtiers
and adherents. It was adopted from his mother, whose cognisance
was a white HIND.
.
. HART (Dutch) HEART.
. HART (German) hard, hardly, callous, rigorous, stiff.
. HART (Swedish) very, very much.
The male of the red deer is termed a stag or HART (and not a BUCk),
. and the female is called a HIND.
.
The White HART of Richard II/Edward IV/Edward V
The GOLDEN HIND of Kent/Henry Hudson.
.
TOUCHSTONE: If a HART do lack a HIND,
. Let him seek out Rosalind.
Velma Kelly (Zeta-Jones): Listen to me. I talked to this guy in
downtown. He says one chance hurts nothing these days, but two...
We can make a couple hundred a week. Think about it, Roxie.
Faces back on the papers and names in the market.
Velma Kelly and Roxie HART.
.
Roxie HART (Zellweger): Should it be alphabetical?
Velma Kelly (Zeta-Jones): That could work.
Scarlet Letter - Hawthorne ** CHAPTER I - THE PRISON DOOR
.
But on one side of the portal, and rooted almost at the threshold,
was a wild rose-bush, covered, in this month of June, with its
delicate gems, which might be imagined to offer their fragrance
and fragile beauty to the prisoner as he went in, and to the
condemned criminal as he came forth to his doom, in token
that the *DEEP HEART* of NATURE could pity and be kind to him.
.
This rose-bush, by a strange chance, has been kept alive in
history; but whether it had merely survived out of the stern old
wilderness, so long after the fall of the gigantic pines and oaks
that originally overshadowed it, or whether, as there is far
authority for believing, it had sprung up under the footsteps
of the sainted Ann Hutchinson as she entered the prison-door,
we shall not take upon us to determine.

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/baym/essays/delia_bacon.htm
.
<<[The first person to argue in print against Shakespeare's authorship
of the plays] seems to have been a [New York lawyer],

Colonel Joseph C. HART, who claimed in his Romance of YACHTing:

Voyage the First (New York: Harper & Bros., 1848)
that the plays were collaboratively authored by diverse hands,
the best parts written by Ben Jonson and the stage-manager
Shakespeare's occasional contributions identifiable by their
vulgarity. Shakespeare 'purchased or obtained surreptitiously'

. other men's plays which he then
. 'spiced with obscenity, blackguardism & impurities'.>>
. "intended as a practical guide for mariners"
http://www.usask.ca/antharch/cnea/CourseNotes/HdtNotes.html
.
<<The most famous LOGOGRAPHER was *HECATAEUS' of Miletus (fl. late
6th century). His PERIPLOUS (lit. "a sailing around"), or PERIODOS,
was originally was intended as a practical guide for mariners.>>
. "What the DEUCE does it mean?" - Herman Melville review
. "HECATAEUS' PERIODOS"
.
. I
. O
. S
. E
. P
. H A R T
. D E U C.E
. S A O
.
SAO: A marine annelid of Europe {Hyalnioecia tubicola}, which inhabits
a transparent movable tube resembling a QUILL in color and texture.
.
http://www.reefimages.com/cgi-reefimages/page.cgi?list=Worms&filename...
Melville's very negative review of The Romance of Yachting
. http://www.melville.org/yachting.htm
.
page from The Life and Works of Herman Melville
.
In the autumn of 1848 Evert Duyckinck, co-editor of The Literary
World,
sent his friend Melville a copy of Joseph C. HART's The Romance of
Yachting: Voyage the First with a request for a review. Melville
returned the book in November with the following comments, some of
which
eventually appeared in a Literary World review of HART's book written
by
Duyckinck or a third party:
.
"What the DEUCE does it mean? -- Here's a book positively turned
wrong side out, the title page on the cover, an index to the whole in
more ways than one. -- I open at the beginning, & find myself in the
middle of the Blue Laws of Dr. O'Callaghan. Then proceeding, find
several extracts from the Log Book of Noah's ARK -- Still further,
take a hand at three or four bull fights, & then I'm set down to
a digest of all the commentators on Shakspeare, who, according
'to our author' was a dunce & a blackguard -- Vide passim.
.
"Finally the books -- so far as this copy goes -- wind up with a
dissertation on Duff Gordon Sherry & St Anthony's Nose, North River.
.
"You have been horribly imposed upon, My Dear Sir. The book is no
book, but a compact bundle of WRAPping paper. And as for Mr HART,
pen & ink, should instantly be taken away from that unfortunate
man, upon the same principle that pistols are withdrawn
from the wight bent on SUICIDE.
.
"-- Prayers should be offered up for him among the congregations. and
Thanksgiving Day postponed until long after his 'book' is published.
What great national sin have we committed to deserve this infliction?
.
"--Seriously, Mr Duyckincke, on my bended knees & with
tears in my eyes, deliver me from writing ought
upon this crucifying Romance of Yachting
.
"-- What has Mr HART done that I should publicly devour him?
-- I bear that hapless man, no malice. Why then smite him?
.
"-- And as for glossing over his book with a few commonplaces,
-- that I can not do. -- The book deserves to be burnt
. in a fire of asafetida, & by the hand that wrote it.
.
"Seriously again, & on my conscience, the book is an abortion,
the mere trunk of a book, minus head arm or leg. -- Take it
back, I beseech, & get some one to cart it back to the author"
http://www.iath.virginia.edu/vcdh/jamestown/Pocahontas.html
.
<<It was during her captivity that Pocahontas met the colonist
John Rolfe. Rolfe had introduced Caribbean tobacco into the colony.
Rolfe owned a plantation called Bermuda Hundred. The couple married
on April 5, 1614. Pocahontas' uncle and two of her brothers
came to the wedding performed by Reverend Richard BUCk.
October 5, 1621: Reversion of the Master of Revels' office
transferred from Sir George BUCk to Pembroke protege, Ben Jonson.
.
October 6, 1621, _Othello_ licensed "under the handes of Sir
George BUCk and Master Swinhowe warden" >> -- Ogburn Jr. p. 218
. Jonathan Swift died on October 19, 1745, (age 77!!).
. Joan Shakspeare HART &
. Judith Shakspeare Quiney both lived to age 77.
. ______________
. / \.
.
. John ----------- Mary Mar(GER)y---Alex
[could write | of Shottery Arden | Webbe
.his 'marke'] | [could write |
. | her 'marke'] Robert Webbe
. ___|___________
. / \ [illiter.]
William----Joan Shakspere ------------ Anne
. HART | 1569 [BROOK House] | b. 1556
. d.1616 | -1612 [Shakespeare's Boys] |
. hatter | [ยฃ1,000/year income] |
. | [Top 10 in comedy (1598)] |
. | [Lessor of Blackfriars Theatre] |
. | |
. | Hall M.D. -- SUSanna
. | b. May 26
. | [could write name]
. Thomas HART ----- Mar(GER)y
. 1605-61 | d.1682
. |
. |
. GEORGE HART ----- Hester Ludiate
. Strat. tailor | 1634-96
. 1636-1702 |
. |
. GEORGE HART ----- Mary RICHARDSON
. 1676-1745 | of Shottery,
. | d.1705
. |
. Sarah Mumford ----- GEORGE HART
. d.1754 | 1700-78
. |
. |
Alice Ricketts ----- Thomas HART
. lived at. . . | birthplace
. d.1792 | a turner
. | 1729-93
. |
. John HART ----- Mary RICHARDSON
. 1743-1800 | of Tewkesbury,
. chairmaker | 1765-1835
. who owned... | ..Shakespeare's Bible
. |
. |
.
[H]annah POTTER ----- Thomas HART (1778-1834)
. 1781-1848 | sold birthplace in 1806
. | a turner of Tewkesbury
. |
. |
. 6 children (HARRY POTTER?)
You are a great liar and cheat => "You are a man of DURESLEY."
. William Shakspere is thought to have lived in DURSLEY.
. Harry POTTER lived with MUGGLES named DURSLEY.
Shakspere lived in Cripplegate on SILVER & MUGGLES (Monkswell) street
. with the French Huguenot family of Christopher Mountjoy (1604)

On Jul 26, 4:47 pm, Tom Reedy <tom.re...@gmail.com> wrote:

-------------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

Art Neuendorffer

Jul 26, 2007, 9:14:14โ€ฏPM7/26/07
Tom Reedy <tom.re...@gmail.com> wrote:

> THE TIMES LITERARY SUPPLEMENT, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 1932
>
> PAGE 128
>
> THE FIRST BACONIAN
>
> By ALLARDYCE NICOLL
>
> The year 1848 has hitherto, been regaled by the "anti-Stratfordians"
> with especial reverence; for in 1848 Joseph C. Hart, United States
> Consul at Santa Cruz, published a work which, in spite of its
> innocuous title - "The Romance of Yachting" - has been held to have
> contained the first publicly expressed doubt concerning the authorship
> of Shakespeare's plays. Now, however, it would seem that the year 1848
> must be dethroned and that the United States must lose the credit of
> having given birth to the first man bold enough to question William
> Shakespeare. The eighteenth century and - of all places - Stratford
> itself have to fill the vacant chairs of honour.
. John Astin interview
http://www.dagonbytes.com/film/fame/astin/astinart.htm

Dagon Did [Poe] experiment with [morphine]? Is that
touched on at all in "Edgar Allan Poe -Once upon a midnight"?

Astin At one point in his life, he tried to kill himself by taking
laudanum. But he wasn't a user. You see, the man he chose to be
his literary executor, trashed him on his death in his obituary.
RUFUS WILMOT GRISWOLD. It was Rufus Griswold's biography of Poe
that for 100 years was included in Poe's collected works.

Dagon Why was that? Did they not get along?

Astin I think that it was a Mozart - Salieri thing.
Griswold was simply jealous of Poe.

Dagon Why do you think [Poe] wrote the way he did?

Astin I think Poe had a mission to tell us what "it's" all about.
"I'm on a pilgrimage to see a moose." - Clark W. Griswold
Herman Melville Letter to RUFUS WILMOT GRISWOLD, December 19 1851
http://www.melville.org/hmquotes.htm

<<I never had the honor of knowing, or even seeing, Mr Cooper
personally; so that, through my past ignorance of his person,
the man, though dead, is still as living to me as ever.
And this is very much; for his works are among the earliest I
remember,
as in my boyhood producing a vivid, and awakening power upon my mind.

It has always much pained me, that for any reason, in his latter
years, his fame at home should have apparently received a slight,
temporary clouding, from some very paltry accidents, incident, more or
less, to the general career of letters. But whatever possible things
in Mr Cooper may have seemed, to have, in some degree, provoked the
occasional treatment he received, it is certain, that he possessed no
slightest weaknesses, but those, which are only noticeable as the
almost
infallible indices of pervading greatness. He was a great, robust-
souled
man, all whose merits are not even yet fully appreciated. But a
grateful posterity will take the best of care of Fennimore Cooper.>>
<<"Your inland sea is no great matter, Master Pathfinder, and I expect
nothing from it. I confess, however, I should like to know the object
of the cruise; for one does not wish to be idle, and my
brother-in-law, the Sergeant, is as close-mouthed as a freemason.

Do you know, Mabel, what all this means?">> _The Pathfinder_
<<The first outright denial of Shakespeare's authorship was made by
the
Reverend James WILMOT (1726-sometime after 1805). He became rector of
Barton-on-the-Heath, just north of Stratford, in 1781. Upon assuming
the rectorship, WILMOT eagerly explored the Stratford area for
conclude that Shakespeare could not have been the author. Scouring
private libraries within a 50-mile radius, he was unable to find
any book that could be proven to have belonged to Shakespeare;
he heard a great many local legends from the Stratford area
(which, felt, anyone growing up in the area must have known of),
but found no reference to them in any of Shakespeare's works.
He began to that the plays were actually written by Bacon,
noting the many between the philosophy of Bacon & the thoughts
expressed in works. Being a cautious man, he kept these views
to himself. But in 1805, he permitted his friend James Corton
Cowell to theory before a meeting of the Ipswich Philosophical
Society, on the condition that his identity remain a secret. Cowell,
with considerable trepidation, presented the theory to the Society
(who received them, apparently, in stony silence) but swore his
fellow to secrecy. WILMOT burned all of his personal papers on
the just before his death. Not until 1932 was the story uncovered,

WILMOT accorded the posthumous honor of being
the first official anti-Stratfordite.>>
John WILMOT Rochester crowns his monkey:
http://www.druidic.isles.net/rocpoet.htm

<<John WILMOT second Earl of Rochester was born in Oxfordshire
on 1 April 1647, and died there on 26 July 1680,

notorious because - as Samuel Johnson put it -

"in a course of drunken gaiety and gross sensuality,
with intervals of study perhaps yet more criminal, with an avowed
contempt of decency and order, a total disregard to every moral, and a
resolute denial of every religious observation, he lived worthless and
useless, and blazed out his youth and health in lavish
voluptuousness".

At the age of thirty-three, as Rochester lay dying - from syphilis, it
is assumed - his mother had him attended by her religious associates;
a deathbed renunciation of atheism was published and promulgated as
the conversion of a prodigal. This became legendary, reappearing
in numerous pious tracts over the next two centuries.

Rochester's own writings were at once admired and infamous. Posthumous
printings of his play Sodom, or the QUINTESSENCE of Debauchery gave
rise
to prosecutions for obscenity, and were destroyed. During his
lifetime,
his songs and satires were known mainly from anonymous broadsheets and
manuscript circulation; most of Rochester's poetry was not published
under his name until after his death.>>

_Two Shakespeares_ by Scott McCrea (Skeptic Magazine)

<<About 1785, THE REVEREND JAMES WILMOT,
the rector of Barton-on -the-Heath (a town just a few miles
north of Stratford-upon-Avon) made a startling discovery.
He had recently retired to the rural village after an illustrious
career
in London, where his friends included members of Parliament, the
writer
Laurence Strerne and the critic Samuel Johnson. With new found time
on his hands, he had accepted the invitation of a bookseller to write
biography of Shakespeare. Since he now lived down the road from the
great
man's birthplace, Wilmot began HIS RESEARCH by seeking anecdotes
from his new neighbors. The local towns people recounted all the
pastoral
legends preserved in Stratford because of their felicitous effect on
tourism.

What [Wilmot] heard stunned him. According to his friend James Corton
Crowell, he learned that Shakespeare was "at best a country clown at
the
time he went to seek his fortune in London, that he could never have
had any
school learning, and that that fact would render it impossible that he
could
be received as a friend and equal by those of culture and breeding who
alone could by their intercourse make up for the deficiencies of his
youth."

So Wilmot began to have doubts.>>
James Wilmot declined payment from a bookseller
in order to follow THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD :
Hypothesis based on experience:

<<If Shakespeare were a great poet, he reasoned, he would have been
one of the few men in the county with an extensive library and, no
doubt,
some of his volumes would, over time, find their way
onto the bookshelves of the best families.

Test:

Wilmot paid a visit to every manor house within a 50 mile
radius of Stratford. He viewed old letters, preserved by
the descendants of Shakespeare's contemporaries,

Results:

and found -shockingly- not one reference to the poet!

As for books, he couldn't find a single one that had
belonged to Shakespeare in any of the private libraries.>>
The only real mistake that Wilmot made was in not publishing:

<<If you've made up your mind to test a theory, you should always
decide to publish it whichever way it comes out. If we only publish
results of a certain kind, we can make the argument [biased].
We must publish both kinds of results.>>

-- Richard Feynman 1974 Caltech Commencement Address.
Art Neuendorffer

spinoza1111

Jul 27, 2007, 11:31:32โ€ฏAM7/27/07
On Jul 27, 5:47 am, Tom Reedy <tom.re...@gmail.com> wrote:
> THE TIMES LITERARY SUPPLEMENT, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 1932
>
> PAGE 128
>
> THE FIRST BACONIAN
>
> By ALLARDYCE NICOLL
>
> The year 1848 has hitherto, been regaled by the "anti-Stratfordians"

One sign of Shakespeare denial: language that manages to be both
pompous, and off-key and wrong. Of course, a person and not a year is
"regaled".

Lacking the sort of ear for word roots that IS and SHOULD BE acquired
before university in grammar school, the autodidact is deceived by the
sound of words alone, and is unable to understand their inner
structure.

I "taught" at "Princeton", but my Mother is dead, therefore there is
no residual reason for her to brag about me. In fact, I designed and
delivered extension microclasses in the C programming language at dear
old P. U. Why? Because for the same reason math at Princeton starts
with the calculus (and its calculus class makes women faint, and
strong men to tremble, and babies to wail), computer science doesn't
deign to teach a programming language at a "real" university as
opposed to a technical school, where vast amounts of time are indeed
wasted on teaching students who don't understand formal methods,
applied formal methods...how do you debug a C program...change your
major, har har.

The psychotic illusion of Shakespeare denial assumes that one learns
how to attach words in poems together in some advanced class. But
superior contemporary grammar schools teach this to high schoolers
because the university, neither in Elizabethan times, nor today, was
or is a trade or craft institute where you learned "how" to read
Latin, program in C, or write iambic pentameter.

When a student, today, is admitted to a real university (one not being
a waste of time) he will have already mastered SOMETHING, and this
will include C and trigonometry if he proposes to major in computer
science or math, or four years of solid English and a foreign language
if he proposes to major in English.

The foreign language requirement isn't racist as long as we recognize
that (1) it is already MET by Hispanic applicants and (2) black people
speak multiple languages, to whites and amongst themselves. The
problem is that American WHITES are so terrible at foreign languages
owing to their anti-intellectualism, laziness and incuriosity and to
them I say boo hoo.

Likewise, Elizabethan university education was as today bifurcated
into Girls Gone Wild and orgies for the Quality, and brutally hard,
and brutally advanced work for the likes of Marlowe, who came prepared
not to learn Latin, but to become poets. Even as at Princeton I saw a
split between the eating club beauties and the sort of students who
worked their way through school in Information Services, there was
this split. There was no place for classes in creative writing or "how
to write like Shakespeare".

> with especial reverence; for in 1848 Joseph C. Hart, United States
> Consul at Santa Cruz, published a work which, in spite of its

Another sign of Shakespearer Denial: excessive respect given to
Deniers who emerge from petty bourgeois "success" as if stock jobbing
or here, passport stamping, qualifies these nasty little clerks to
speak on something so unrelated to their affairs.

Quite the opposite: for an economic reason alone, true greatness is
usually found associated with FAILURE at lesser tasks: an Hercules
might labor at assigned tasks, but not a Prometheus. Walt Whitman was
fired from a corrupt American civil service by a boss who was, prior
to the assasination of President Garfield, part of this corruption, a
corruption addressed after that assassination but which of course has
returned since then, especially under Monkey Boy. Melville's attitude
towards the "success" of the petty bourgeois is summed up in his
novella Bartelby the Scrivener: with Pistol, Whitman, Melville, Zola,
all the great ones say,

A foutra for the world, and worldlings base:
I speak of Africa, and golden joys:

therefore, "I prefer not to" be an excellent stamper of passports. Li
Bau sang for his supper in ancient China, and chased the moon, and
even Confucius, while a mentor of stampers of documents and designers
of vermilion seals, never himself became one, nor did he become a
Polonius, a vizier.

Having been tutored by governments afraid of those who would speak
truth to power, the Denier seeks systematically to eradicate
intellectuals who he deems false or phony, and to replace teachers by
gym coaches and prison guards, the new intellectuals of various
manifestations of Fascism, the brutal "successful" man, with his
boorish manner, his loud voice, and his habit of pretending to bring
you "on board" with all his horseshit theories about what's "really"
going on.

Having invaded Mexico and ripped off a chunk, the colonizers sought,
in revisionist history, to also colonize the common tradition of
mankind.

> innocuous title - "The Romance of Yachting" - has been held to have
> contained the first publicly expressed doubt concerning the authorship
> of Shakespeare's plays. Now, however, it would seem that the year 1848
> must be dethroned and that the United States must lose the credit of
> having given birth to the first man bold enough to question William

Bold? No, just stupid with the heat and flies.

He managed to miss, of course, Samuel Johnson, Nicholas Rowe, and Ben
Jonson's preface. Oh well...

> personal inquiries at Stratford. "Everywhere," he confesses, "was I
> met by a strange and perplexing silence." Puzzled and defeated, the

Perhaps he had unpleasant personal habits. Certainly, the silence of
provincials in the 18th century in front of some Nosey Looney Parker
is nothing out of the ordinary, and from it nothing follows.

> darkness around him was suddenly dissipated by a "new light," but, he
> hastens to add,
> let me further confess that the author of this, New Light was not
> myself but an ingenious gentleman of the neighbourhood of Stratford on
> Avon. . . . I have not his permission to make public his name since as
> he rightly pointed out the Townsfolk of Stratford on Avon have of late
> years taken such a vast pride in the connexion of the Poet with their
> Town that they would bitterly resent any attempt to belittle the Poet.

The petty-bourgeois Shakespeare Denier, being a case of psychoanalysis
in reverse and getting every day more and more less self-aware, is of
course unable to note his own transference of his own bitter
resentment to all and sundry.

> The "New Light" came, destructively, by denying that Shakespeare could
> have written the plays that go by his name and, constructively, by
> suggesting a possible author.

So this guy meets some bloke in a pub who informs him ... get
ready ...

> As Cowell puts it:-
> My Friend has an explanation that is so startling that it is easy to
> understand his timidity in putting it forth boldly and I share his
> reticence. He goes so far as to suggest that the reason for the non-
> existence of the Manuscripts is that they were the work of some other
> person who had good reason for concealing his connection with
> them. . . . My Friend has a theory which he supports with much

We must have a theory. Of course, you're unaware that the only precise
use of "theory" means something which is confirmed by the facts, and
only where a majority of a scientific or other community, with canons
of entry and peer review, AGREE that the theory is the closest to the
facts.

At any time, in the paradigm usage of the hard sciences (the prestige
of which you seek to ape by appropriating the word "theory"), there is
at most one theory throughout history for any natural phenomenon.
Before 1905, "aether" was a "theory", after 1905, "relativity",
supplemented (in some ways unsatisfactorily) by quantum and string
theory, forms a bundle considered today as one, a portmanteau towards
which we owe, as being mostly non-scientists, acknowledgement to wit
"yup that is the theory". Before Galileo, earth-centrism was the
theory (and in a weakened sense "the truth"): after Galileo,
heliocentrism was the theory, still of course receiving confirmation
(for empirical theories can never be 100% certain) by Neil Armstrong
in 1979.

By this test, it is redundant (but sadly necessary) to say that most
of the words in the First Folio were written by an actor, poet, and
businessman from Stratford is the ONLY theory on tap.

The "competing" theories are "competing" only in the sense that when I
took almost four hours to finish the London Marathon in 1983, I was
"competing" with the great Norwegian runner Grete Waitz: only as
nonsense, poppycock, horse shit and balderdash do they compete: only
as opera buffa, comic relief and farce.

[Henry Louis Mencken thou shouldst be alive at this hour. The USA hath
need of thee.]

The "competing theories" are not theories: they are hypotheses, and
they have been empirically refuted to a moral certainty, eg., one in
which we can take satisfaction in the fact that the "aristocracy" have
never produced a goddamn thing except the ruinous rape of *jus primae
noctae*, fagging in English public schools (now banned by New Labour,
and not before time, in its grimmer manifestation), the Thirty Years
War, and quite a catalog of other disasters throughout the history of
humankind.

> ingenuity that the real author of the Plays attributed to Shakespeare
> was Sir Francis Bacon.
>
> In February, 1805, the members of the Ipswich Philosophic Society were
> thus startled by Cowell's announcement of this revolutionary theory;
> during the following April he returned to the attack. Evidently the
> "cries of disapproval and execration" had not been wanting; and now,
> seeking to substantiate his position, he expressed himself willing,
> under a solemn vow of secrecy from the whole meeting, to reveal the
> name of the originator of the theory. The members agreed to his
> conditions, whereupon Cowell announced that his friend was "the Revd
> Jas. Wilmot DD, the Rector of Barton on the Heath, a small village;
> about six or seven miles north of Stratford on the Avon."

A mad bishop, deranged rector, a Gothic verger, or a felonious monk
usually figures in tales of this nature.

The half-mad face, itself half-hidden, but seen to be covered with
greenish sores, gibbers at the petty bourgeois adept as he, like Tom
Hanks, "decodes" the obvious and comes up with stupidity.

The face of truth is itself ugly by way of a psychological mechanism
"maddened by false promises, soured by true miseries" (in C. S. Lewis'
words) which has taken to heart saws such as "truth hurts", this being
the truth of petty-bourgeois existence after all, in which redemption
is silent and the rumors are about Jews, not angels.

Solemn oaths of secrecy are sworn a hell of a long time ago, yet as it
were by the rough magic of the internal television set with which most
most morons are today equipped from childhood, we are invited into the
Masonic Lodge, or the Lodge of the Knights of the Mystic Sea, or Ralph
Kramden's and Ed Norton's Raccoons.

And what do we learn? Nothing but a foul and ugly "truth", in fact a
confirming instance of what the worst sort of the bourgeois school-
marm tells the kid from the wrong side of the tracks: "only
aristocrats write like dat".

Well, fuck that shit. There are those of us who KNOW what the truth
looks like, and it isn't "Christian killeth Christian in a narrow
little room", no it's Don Juan of Austria, Don Quixote de la Mancha,
and William Shakespeare of Stratford on Avon who wrote the truth about
the truth about the truth. It's Liberation. If it isn't, it isn't
Truth.

I mean...give me a break. Render unto me the break that is fucking.

"When I grow up, I don't want to write like no Shakespeare, paint like
no Michelangelo. I don't want to paint Guernica. I want to stamp
passports in Santa Cruz and discover that Shakespeare was a fraud. I
will then die a happy man, having ruined the work of better men and
misled people away from Shakespeare: for surely the Novum Organum is
more important now. And what's on TeeVee."

It's no go the merrygoround, it's no go the rickshaw,
All we want is a limousine and a ticket for the peepshow.
Their knickers are made of crepe-de-chine, their shoes are made of
python,
Their halls are lined with tiger rugs and their walls with head of
bison.

John MacDonald found a corpse, put it under the sofa,
Waited till it came to life and hit it with a poker,
Sold its eyes for souvenirs, sold its blood for whiskey,
Kept its bones for dumbbells to use when he was fifty.

It's no go the Yogi-man, it's no go Blavatsky,
All we want is a bank balance and a bit of skirt in a taxi.

Annie MacDougall went to milk, caught her foot in the heather,
Woke to hear a dance record playing of Old Vienna.
It's no go your maidenheads, it's no go your culture,
All we want is a Dunlop tire and the devil mend the puncture.

The Laird o' Phelps spent Hogmanay declaring he was sober,
Counted his feet to prove the fact and found he had one foot over.
Mrs. Carmichael had her fifth, looked at the job with repulsion,
Said to the midwife "Take it away; I'm through with overproduction."

It's no go the gossip column, it's no go the Ceilidh,(1)
All we want is a mother's help and a sugar-stick for the baby.

Willie Murray cut his thumb, couldn't count the damage,
Took the hide of an Ayrshire cow and used it for a bandage.
His brother caught three hundred cran when the seas were lavish, (2)
Threw the bleeders back in the sea and went upon the parish.

It's no go the Herring Board, it's no go the Bible,
All we want is a packet of fags when our hands are idle.

It's no go the picture palace, it's no go the stadium,
It's no go the country cot with a pot of pink geraniums,
It's no go the Government grants, it's no go the elections,
Sit on your arse for fifty years and hang your hat on a pension.

It's no go my honey love, it's no go my poppet;
Work your hands from day to day, the winds will blow the profit.
The glass is falling hour by hour, the glass will fall forever,
But if you break the bloody glass you won't hold up the weather.

-- Louis MacNeice

> Picturesquely, he proceeds to record his first visit to that
> clergyman's house. Various country folk were there when he arrived,
> but when "these bucolic guests had departed near 4 o'clock . . . the
> Doctor and I were able to approach the subject of our colloquy." "Dr.
> Wilmot," reports Cowell, "does not venture so far as to say
> definitively that Sir Francis Bacon was the Author, but through his
> great knowledge of the works of that writer he is able to prepare a
> cap that fits him amazingly." Hereupon he proceeds to narrate some of
> his arguments. One concerns the allusion to the circulation of the
> blood in Coriolanus, Wilmot observing that Harvey's discoveries were

Nonsense. Based on a sibling theory of equal absurdity.

Crazed autodidacts, who have lessoned themselves from children's
reference books, precises, summaries, almanacks, and railway
timetables, have done so because they cannot parse the complex
sentence (plenty of evidence of that here in this ng, I'd wot).

These almanacks tell them, in simplified fashion for the slow of
study, that such and such continent was discovered by such and such a
mariner, and no other, and that such and such scientific discovery was
chanc'd upon, such and such invention was devis'd, by such and such a
personage, and NO OTHER.

Reading profane texts as does pious simple Christian man peruse
Scripture, having thus been schooled, or as the pious Turk reads his
holy Q'uran, the adept of the simplified-profane believes in a
singular truth.

Truths, in fact, must present themselves to him with holy Simplicity,
and be a succession of imag'd Nouns, as in the dreams of Locke, which
make primary the simple, and tetiary, the complex, fashioned, in Locke
and in such like philosophers, exclusively from the simple with many a
huzza, and awed shouts, of e pluribus unum, from many a village school-
master.

To tell him that Newton was not the only man to invent the Calculus,
and that it was invented simultaneously by Leibniz, merely confuses
him because the then must "ponder the nexus" (he must only connect)
and this is the vocation of the true Philosopher, as opposed to, say,
Locke. Prometheus, let us recall, brought neither earth nor air nor
water but fire, all-consuming and all-connecting.

The fact is that Harvey took, as Euclid took, ideas and more important
praxis already in the air and gave them an empirical basis.

The passage is probably this:

I'll undertake't;
I think he'll hear me. Yet to bite his lip
And hum at good Cominius much unhearts me.
He was not taken well: he had not din'd;
The veins unfill'd, our blood is cold, and then
We pout upon the morning, are unapt
To give or to forgive; but when we have stuff'd
These pipes and these conveyances of our blood
With wine and feeding, we have suppler souls
Than in our priest-like fasts. Therefore I'll watch him
Till he be dieted to my request,
And then I'll set upon him.

All it means was that by Shakespeare's time, men had seen enough
cadavers (a common enough sight in times of war or plague) to know
that their fellow men had blood in channels under the skin, and that
it refreshed the spirit, in fact (in the poetic "theory", not a
scientific theory at all, instead a world-view as effective as
"science" for mens' purposes in its day) made a man sanguinary-
sanguine.

To mutter about passages such as the above being "clues" is itself
Clueless, perniciously simple, and destructively Naive.

> not published till1619. He had noted, too - thus anticipating by
> nearly a century part of Sir Sidney Lee's important Gentleman's
> Magazine article on this subject, that Biron, Dumain and Longaville in
> Love's Labour's Lost were "the names of the Ministers" at the court of
> Navarre, adding that this was "at the time when Anthony Bacon a
> Brother of Sir Francis Bacon was residing at that Court."

Published, of course, abroad, in things called books.

> Most interesting of all is the statement that Dr. Wilmot had
> also during many years and with the opportunity of local knowledge
> gleaned much information as to the times of Shakespeare and his
> contemporaries at Stratford on the Avon and though his information is
> necessarily but based on Tradition it is as good as much if not most
> of the informatn. whereon we rely for historic facts.

Sure, part of Denial is hot air, meaningless and exceedingly tedious
transitional passages in which no single concrete noun occurs, instead
we see refences to "history" and "facts" untethered to any actual
history or, god forbid, established facts, or, Heaven help us all, the
decision procedures whereby the closest explanation of the documents
(the "facts" whose facticity is different from those of science, but
real) becomes THE singular theory, until overthrown, and not by some
goddamn United States pencil-pusher in no goddamn Santa Cruz.

> His collections in this kind included
>
> notes as to certain odd characters living at or near Stratford on the
> Avon with whom Shakespeare must have been familiar and whom it is
> reasonable to suppose he wd. have introduced into some of his Plays
> particularly his Comedies. There was for example a certain man of
> extreme ugliness and tallness who Blackmailed the Farmers under threat
> of bewitching their cattle. . . . There is also a local legend of that
> period that makes the Devil remove a church tower, a legend of showers
> of cake at Shrovetide with stories of men who were rendered cripples
> by tile falling of these cakes.
>
> Since Shakespeare did not introduce these, therefore of course he did
> not write the Plays - Wilmot's method of argumentation thus seems to
> have differed little from the methods employed by his followers.
> Wilmot had also tried to trace Shakespeare's books, thinking
> that "they wod. have soon passed for money from his poor and
> illiterate next of kin into the hands of the local gentry who alone
> purchased Books. He said he had covered himself with the dust of every
> private bookcase for 50 miles round," without discovering any
> volume which might have once belonged to the poet.

...after nearly 200 years, of course. The books of the middle class,
chump, get sold to pay the funeral debts, and when sold, they travel
all over the world. Books, in the British empire, were a global
Internet.

> Who precisely J. C. Cowell was I have been unable to determine, save
> that he seems to have been a Quaker and that he was in all probability
> closely related to the well-known Orientalist, E. B. Cowell, who was
> born at Ipswich in 1828. Concerning the true originator of the theory,
> Dr. James Wilmot, more information is forthcoming, chiefly due to the
> pious "Life of the Author of the Letters of Junius, the Rev. James
> Wilmot, D.D." (1813) by his niece, Olivia Wilmot Serres. Olivia Serres
> herself was a somewhat picturesque and romantic figure in her age, In
> 1817 she put forward a strange claim, supported by some persons of
> distinction, that she was in reality the Princess of Cumberland.

Oh great, a whole tribe of lunatics. And we should believe any member
why?

> When Cowell met him he was ...
>
> read more ยป

zzz...

Nonsense.

bobgr...@nut-n-but.net

Jul 27, 2007, 1:36:52โ€ฏPM7/27/07
This halfwit would also have been the first Looneator, or anti-
Stratfordian befuddled, like Looney, by the difference between what
Shakespeare the poet MUST have been like but which the Stratford
Shakespeare inexplicably was not, and how the former MUST have acted
but the latter did not.

--Bob G.

Tom Reedy

Jul 27, 2007, 1:53:43โ€ฏPM7/27/07
<bobgr...@nut-n-but.net> wrote in message

I don't see that. The only thing close to that is his failure to find
Shakespeare's books. It doesn't appear to me that he knew anything at all
about Shakespeare the man from any sources.

One of the reasons I posted it was to counter the antiStratfordian boast
that Shakespeare was doubted in print shortly after he died. For support
they quote a couple of sources that are obviously jokes. Kennedy the Elder
is especially fond of Pimping Billy.

As far as I know, the Ipswich paper has never been published in its
entirety. Every article I've read about Wilmot's delusion has its source in
Nicoll's TLS article. I would think some antiStratfordian would have
transcribed the complete paper by now. Maybe this post will give an idea to
one of them.

TR

> --Bob G.

bobgr...@nut-n-but.net

Jul 27, 2007, 2:03:24โ€ฏPM7/27/07
Well, I just skimmed what you posted, Tom--because I read it long ago,
but seems to me Wilmot thought Shakespeare ought to have used stories
and characters, etc., that Wilmot found in Stratford but inexplicably
did not. Also, he was not reacted to as he ought to have been had he
been The World's Greatest Writer: how come no remembered him, had
biographies of him, etc.

Anyway, the Cowell paper paper is unquestionably the first formal anti-
Stratfordian document, and the first true anti-Stratfordian document
of any kind that has been turned up--as you indicate. If it isn't
some kind of hoax. Seems to me I recently heard it may have been, but
I never hear details. I've always assumed it was legitimate--but
wondered if it might not have been all Cowell, using someone so old he
wouldn't contradict him. And that story of the papers being burned is
highly suspicious. Or would be if I had the proper kind of authorship
mind.

--Bob

spinoza1111

Jul 28, 2007, 12:30:10โ€ฏAM7/28/07
On Jul 28, 1:53 am, "Tom Reedy" <tomre...@verizon.net> wrote:
> <bobgrum...@nut-n-but.net> wrote in message
> > --Bob G.- Hide quoted text -

The post however, could have been Shakespeare Denial. The problem is
attempting to "counter" Denial with constructed "facts" which
laypeople really aren't qualified to assert.

A visit to a library, a discovery of old letters, a conversation, is
simply not equivalent to a genuine academic career as part of an
academic community, removed by endowment from the pressures of the
market place. This is why amateurs have so little to contribute in
general, no matter how many prolix emails they send to genuine
authorities.

This is a hard motherfucking truth because in Amerikkka, an academic
career is a reward in most cases for the quiescent and uncreative.
Many of us are familiar with the injustice and grab-ass of tenure
assignment, and a man (Charles Sanders Peirce) who many regard the
greatest philosopher who ever lived in America was hounded
systematically out of one academic job after another by the President
of Harvard University, out of that form of uniquely American hatred,
examples of which appear on this ng: that motiveless, out of the blue,
Iago like malignity that we see here, and which is the monstrous child
of laissez-faire.

People like the editors of the New Oxford Shakespeare are like
Princeton mathematicians and physicists deluged today with email, and
in the past with letters in the post, from boffins who claim to have
"discovered" that Bacon wrote Shakespeare, the circle may be squared,
and that fusion can be achieved in the kitchen.

In the sciences, they are indeed able to winnow rare grains of wheat
from the general chaff because in the hard sciences, truth is more
precise. Thus G. H. Hardy discovered Ramanujan, and the Italian
mathematician Enrico Bombieri got in touch with my supervisor at
Princeton to inform her that Nash was using our network...to send him
interesting and illuminating mathematical results.

But given the social nature of truth in the humanities, where part of
the truth content of a proposition is your ability to get qualified
people to agree (something that of course plays a role in science as
well, and, given the complexity of math today, math), it is an expense
of spirit in a waste of shame, in my view, to DEFEND Shakespeare of
Stratford on the level of fact for fact, doubt for doubt.

It is what French wits called in the 17th century, "the war of the
buffoons", their label for the war between classicism and modernism,
Racine v Moliere. But this farce is repeated as farce in a sharper
register.

The American Shakespeare scholar Marcette Chute addressed Shakespeare
Denial in 1961. But even then she knew it was futile, because she was
dealing at the time with "little old ladies in tennis shoes" who were
engaged in psychological compensation for miserable rotten lives by
trying to destroy something before they shuffled off the mortal coil
along with the tennis shoes. These people, three years on, destroyed
the old centrist GOP by lying on the floor of San Francisco's Cow
Palace and drumming their heels to get Barry Goldwater elected.
Goldwater would have been a great President (at least, a lot better
than Bush), but the problem is the attraction damaged people have for
lost causes, and the way they lose their interest when they get what
they want. They transformed the party of Abraham Lincoln to the party
of coded racism that dares not speak its name and is thus more
pernicious.

Just as Shakespeare Denial (and Bob Grumman's "defense", one which he
is not qualified to make) are a pose, support for Goldwater was in
1964 a pose, and a false protest against a genuine problem, which then
and now is and was the lack of a political party in America, a LABOR
party, that represents working people, including little old ladies in
tennis shoes in offices and factories.

Shakespeare Denial abandons solidarity with one's ancestors,
especially those illiterate ancestors who, in the West and in China,
pooled their resources to send ONE child to school, because
Shakespeare Denial asserts that you have to be an aristocrat like
Bacon, or at least a "university wit" like Marlowe to write gude, and
this is nonsense. It is in Chinese terms an offense to the ancestors
who did what Shakespeare did, exploiting new technologies to better
themselves.

The behavior of the doubters needs to be psycho-analyzed,
compassionately.

The real problem is the increasing attention paid by a monopolized
press that has been frightened away from real reporting by the
termination of Dan Rather and other events in which reporting can no
longer speak truth to power, therefore, seeking "content", reporters
RAISE DOUBTS instead of SPEAKING TRUTH to power.

Take a look at the increasing number of "history" programs on the
"History" and Discovery channel labeled "in search of", which more
raise "doubts" and "mysteries" than educate. This is because doing
"history" sooner or later has to answer the question, raised by the
ordinary person, as to why his ancestors were victimized by history.
Sooner or later in American history you get Howard Zinn, and his
American history of the ways in which people who asked for justice,
tried to unionize, were mown down.

Better to raise doubts, isn't it. It's safer and your being can be
hidden away. You never are seen on this forum to have an emotion,
because you're always busy smirking at your opponent's factoids and
asserting your own.

You're never seen, here, to quote Shakespeare *extempore* with love
(looks like I aced Art's quiz because unlike most posters I can
recognize speeches, and recite them without running to resources like
MIT's Shakespeare plays...which other posters appear to know nothing
about, or are to lazy and too incurious to even look at).

Instead, the Deniers, and even some of the defenders, have constructed
their own sealed world of fact and doubt and fancy themselves scholars
thereby while they take time off from erasing data bases and doing
performance reviews.