FPM in 5.3

Antony Dovgal

May 26, 2010, 11:29:34 AM5/26/10
to highload-php-en
Hello all.

After a short discussion with Rasmus and Johannes (how's maintaining PHP 5.3 branch) it was agreed that FPM
can't break anything serious and even though 5.3 is a bugfix branch, it's safe to add FPM there.

Which was done several minutes ago.

So now you don't have to checkout PHP trunk, copy sapi/fpm to your 5.3 source tree and so on - it's all there already.
Snapshots containing FPM will be ready in ~1 hour, according to http://snaps.php.net.
Feel free to test them and report any issues you find using the official bug tracker @ http://bugs.php.net.

P.S. no way to add it to 5.2, sorry.

--
Wbr,
Antony Dovgal

Michael Shadle

May 26, 2010, 11:54:03 AM5/26/10
to highloa...@googlegroups.com
This is awesome.

So the steps will be:

1) Grab a build from snaps.php.net
2) Unpack and ./configure as normal

Anything else? I will add it as the newest method on php-fpm.org/download/

(I will keep the existing 5.3 for people who want an official 5.3
release but add FPM support in)

Davy Campano

May 26, 2010, 12:03:53 PM5/26/10
to highloa...@googlegroups.com
This is great news!  Thanks for your hard work!

Davy

Khazret Sapenov

May 26, 2010, 12:05:25 PM5/26/10
to highloa...@googlegroups.com
thanks, Anthony! good job.

Anoop Alias

May 26, 2010, 12:21:51 PM5/26/10
to highloa...@googlegroups.com
Great work .
--
Anoop P Alias (PGP Key ID : 0x014F9953)
GNU system administrator

Alexey A. Rybak

May 27, 2010, 4:16:22 AM5/27/10
to highloa...@googlegroups.com
ura! thank you all guys

--

wbr,
fisher

Tom Boutell

Jul 23, 2010, 6:21:39 PM7/23/10
to highload-php-en
I just saw the announcement of the FPM being included in PHP 5.3.3.
That's great news - it sounds like the new FPM is a very good one. But
I'd appreciate some clarification on the status of the old FPM in php-
cgi.

As described here:

http://www.fastcgi.com/drupal/node/5?q=node/10

The regular php-cgi binaries in 5.2.x and, in my experience, 5.3.0
through 5.3.2 already include the capability of running as a FastCGI
process manager (that is, managing multiple processes themselves). And
this provides the essential feature of a shared APC cache.

Also it sounds like the new SAPI has a separate binary, unlike the old
FPM support which looked for environment variables and altered the
behavior of php-cgi.

So my questions are:

1. Was the old FPM removed from php-cgi in 5.3.3?

2. If so, wouldn't this cause considerable disruption for those of us
who are using it if we upgrade to 5.3.3? If so, documentation of what
to do in order to transition between the FPMs would be very useful.

3. Does the new FPM provide shared APC cache as the old one did? That
feature is a lifesaver for object oriented code on a modest virtual
machine.

I have a widely forwarded article here which I'll update with the
answers once I have them:

http://window.punkave.com/2010/03/08/faster-php-kill-kill/

Thanks!

On May 26, 11:29 am, Antony Dovgal <t...@daylessday.org> wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> After a short discussion with Rasmus and Johannes (how's maintaining PHP 5.3 branch) it was agreed that FPM
> can't break anything serious and even though 5.3 is a bugfix branch, it's safe to add FPM there.
>
> Which was done several minutes ago.
>
> So now you don't have to checkout PHP trunk, copy sapi/fpm to your 5.3 source tree and so on - it's all there already.
> Snapshots containing FPM will be ready in ~1 hour, according tohttp://snaps.php.net.
> Feel free to test them and report any issues you find using the official bug tracker @http://bugs.php.net.

Peter Mescalchin

Jul 23, 2010, 8:40:05 PM7/23/10
to highload-php-en
It appears you need to enable the new FPM SAPI (--enable-fpm) - so I
would assume the old one still remains for those that need it?

http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.fpm.install.php

Tom, I have used your very handy article for PHP setups in the past
for Apache2+PHP-FCGI - I'm sure if apache2 can run using the new php-
fpm it will makes things all that little more sweeter.

Peter Mescalchin

Jul 23, 2010, 8:16:11 PM7/23/10
to highload-php-en

Brian Mercer

Jul 23, 2010, 8:35:51 PM7/23/10
On 7/23/2010 6:21 PM, Tom Boutell wrote:
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Was the old FPM removed from php-cgi in 5.3.3?
>
> 2. If so, wouldn't this cause considerable disruption for those of us
> who are using it if we upgrade to 5.3.3? If so, documentation of what
> to do in order to transition between the FPMs would be very useful.
>
> 3. Does the new FPM provide shared APC cache as the old one did? That
> feature is a lifesaver for object oriented code on a modest virtual
> machine.

1. php-cgi is unchanged and works as before.
2. see number 1.
3. yes, shared apc cache works with php-fpm.

php-fpm has management features not present using php-cgi. see
http://php-fpm.org/about/

Tom Boutell

Jul 23, 2010, 9:04:34 PM7/23/10
to highloa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification, Brian. So the rudimentary FPM in
php-cgi, including support for PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN, is exactly as it was
before but the FPM SAPI is a separate and superior implementation for
those who are ready to tackle it. Now it's incumbent on all of us to
spread the word of this even better option and encourage our friendly
distribution vendor to offer an apt/rpm/port etc. that installs it
when they move to PHP 5.3.3.

I'm excited about the slow log feature, as well as the improved
logging in general.

What does "accelerated upload support" mean in practice?

fastcgi_finish_request() looks useful too.

I don't need the alternate uid/gid stuff but I know hosts who
definitely will be excited about it.

--
Tom Boutell
P'unk Avenue

jbruni

Jul 24, 2010, 4:21:59 AM7/24/10
Tom Boutell Wrote:

> What does "accelerated upload support" mean in
> practice?
>
> fastcgi_finish_request() looks useful too.

Accelerated upload support:
http://php-fpm.org/wiki/Features#Accelerated_upload_support

fastcgi_finish_request:
http://php-fpm.org/wiki/Features#fastcgi_finish_request.28.29

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?3,90488,112337#msg-112337

_MD_

Aug 23, 2010, 3:58:44 PM8/23/10
to highloa...@googlegroups.com
That is fantastic news Antony...

I have a small question though:
I have installed php 5.3.3 through a yum install (remi)
but php-fpm does not seemed to be enabled.
How can I enable it after an rpm install? Thanks

_MD_

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?3,90488,122904#msg-122904

Jérôme Loyet

Aug 23, 2010, 4:24:57 PM8/23/10
2010/8/23 _MD_ <nginx...@nginx.us>:

> That is fantastic news Antony...
>
> I have a small question though:
> I have installed php 5.3.3 through a yum install (remi)
> but php-fpm does not seemed to be enabled.
> How can I enable it after an rpm install? Thanks

if the package manager did not enable FPM before compilation you just
can't. It's not like an pecl extension.

You'll have to ask the pkg manager to produce a new version or to
compile FPM by yourself.

++ jerome

Daniel Carrillo

Aug 24, 2010, 5:58:16 AM8/24/10
2010/8/23 _MD_ <nginx...@nginx.us>:

> That is fantastic news Antony...
>
> I have a small question though:
> I have installed php 5.3.3 through a yum install (remi)
> but php-fpm does not seemed to be enabled.
> How can I enable it after an rpm install? Thanks

Hi.

I'm using this russian repo: http://centos.alt.ru/repository/centos/readme.txt

It's quite stable, at least for me. The russian guy is recompiling
remi packages with php-fpm enable. Be aware with other packages in
repository like bind, openssh and others, maybe you don't want to
upgrade these ones.

Kind Regards.