A WIN7 shared folder question (newbie)

Raycaster

Sep 3, 2010, 2:39:18 PM9/3/10
to hfm-net
Just started folding and have about 7 machines around the house to use
so I'm using this awesome util to monitor.

I may be doing this totally wrong but on my WINXp machine I shared the
log directory so my main machine could see it. I was able to set its
shared property and it updates well within hfm.

I have a WHS running plus another WIN7 machine which are not allowing
me access to their log directories. I have the WHS folder shared and
see it but get a permission error trying to access it.

Another problem is that on a separate WIN7 machine the user directory
not accessable. In WINXP I simply just go up to folder option and tell
it to view system directories but in WIN7 I can't for the life of me
figure it out.

Help would be appreciated even if this is a REALLY dumb question.

thx.

harlam357

Sep 5, 2010, 1:41:38 AM9/5/10
to hfm-net
Hi Raycaster!

You're just experiencing some permissions issues. The key to Windows
file sharing is giving the proper user access to the shared folder(s)
across all the machines. The easiest way to accomplish your sharing
goals is to create a user account (username and password) on all your
other machines that is analogues to your main machine (username and
password) and specifying the permissions on the shared folder for
access to that user account. I use XP and Win7 machines across my
network and a I have no problem accessing shares or User folders
across my network. Again, this is a file sharing issue... once you've
got it setup HFM will easily monitor the clients across your
machines. If you have trouble after trying this approach post back
and we'll dig further. :-)

Thanks again for using HFM.NET!
-H

harlam357

Sep 10, 2010, 12:11:00 PM9/10/10
to hfm-net
Just checking back Ray... if you need help we can dig further. :-)

This conversation is locked