Habari 0.5 reviewed in Linux.com

1 view

Andy C

Sep 5, 2008, 3:33:47 PM9/5/08
to habari-users
http://www.linux.com/feature/146441

Positive, informed review with screenshots.

Ali B.

Sep 5, 2008, 3:49:39 PM9/5/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
Ah! So Mayank did it. All we have to do is to finish up the *other* </hint>

--
Ali B / dmondark
http://www.awhitebox.com

Owen Winkler

Sep 5, 2008, 3:53:40 PM9/5/08
to habari...@googlegroups.com
Andy C wrote:
> http://www.linux.com/feature/146441
>
> Positive, informed review with screenshots.

I think this comes up at least partially in response to the recent
request for deletion of Habari's Wikipedia entry.

The reasons for teh request are here:
http://pastoid.com/5z+/

Personally, I've taken a new attitude about this Wikipedia stuff. While
it's great to be listed, if you can't prove to some schlub that Habari
is notable, then the problem is not that the Wikipedia article is bad,
it's that we're not getting enough articles like the one above published.

There is certainly a disturbing lack of reputation (positive or
negative) for our software, as Christian noted in his post,
http://h0bbel.p0ggel.org/why-not-consider-habari

It's no wonder to me that we aren't even as notable as, for example,
every last fictional detail of the Star Trek universe. Maybe I'm just
skewed in my perception of the relevancy/usefulness of certain portions
of Wikipedia when I see details of the registration number of the
Chimera-class starship USS Portland, which apparently visited the Algira
sector in an episode of Deep Space Nine.

Can anyone think of something usefully promotional we can do to get
other real writers to mention us in publications that would care about
what we're doing? Print would be nice. I don't see Habari being
mentioned in the Times or Chronicle anytime soon -- we're simply not
what they cover. But there are industry publications and shows that we
could interest, and perhaps we could attract some initial coverage soon.

And then if Wikipedia wants to call us irrelevant, who cares? Actually,
I already don't care very much.

Owen

Randy Walker

Sep 5, 2008, 4:49:17 PM9/5/08