The long-awaited "we're moving to Github" email

Owen Winkler

Jun 21, 2011, 11:28:42 AM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
This weekend I will attempt to locate or write a script that moves all
of our core Trac issues to Github, and automates the process of
obtaining nightly archives of the source.

The svn repo url for core will either be shut down or redirect to the
svn mirror on Github, through which you can check out projects from
Github via svn as read-only. Users that use svn to update blogs should
need only execute a simple `svn switch` to continue as they have been.

We're going to need time to work out what to do with the -extras repo,
but I expect that ultimately those projects will also be available via
Github. This will not happen this week.

I realize that there is still a lot of uncertainty about what using git
and Github means. Everyone is likely to have questions, but trust me
when I say that git is just another SCM tool. At worst, you have to
learn a few different commands. At best, we reap great rewards from the
collaborative coding features that Github offers, gain efficiency from
the features that git has that aren't present in svn, and release some
of our otherwise more prolific contributors from frequent server
maintenance tasks. I firmly believe that this move will benefit the
project.

Please +1 this thread if you're in support. If you still have
reservations to the point where you can't +1 the thread, please ask
specific, positive questions that we can help answer. We should only
delay this process if there is a credible reason not to move the core
repo before the weekend - let's not let bureaucracy hinder innovation.

I'm hoping that a couple of folks familiar with git can step up and
draft a wiki page that outlines some of the changes from svn to git,
specific to our project (using our URLs and likely tasks to get things
moving) and link to some good external resources for learning git from
an svn user's perspective.

Thanks,
Owen

Andrew Heath

Jun 21, 2011, 11:35:12 AM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
+1 and good luck. Might have to finally get off my own bony ass and transition to GitHub as well... ^_^

- A

Colin

Jun 21, 2011, 11:36:26 AM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
+1

Colin Seymour
Blog: http://colinseymour.co.uk
Tech Stuff: http://lildude.co.uk
Barefoot Running: http://barefootrunner.co.uk
IRC: lildude #habari

Rich Bowen

Jun 21, 2011, 3:23:59 PM6/21/11
to habari-dev
+0.5

An SCM is an SCM, and I suppose this is as good a way as any to figure
out whether the hype surrounding GitHub has any intersection with
reality.

For me, the biggest selling point is the "someone else does backups",
rather than the fact that it's Git.

Chris J. Davis

Jun 21, 2011, 3:26:01 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
+1 for lack of a reason to -1.

I don't really care what SCM we use, I have used them all and they all suck equally, in their own special ways.

Rich Bowen
June 21, 2011 2:23 PM

Owen Winkler
June 21, 2011 10:28 AM

Chris Meller

Jun 21, 2011, 3:31:01 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
+1

Owen Winkler
June 21, 2011 11:28 AM

mikelietz

Jun 21, 2011, 3:32:41 PM6/21/11
to habari-dev
+1

Once I found the (admittedly beta) feature that allows subversion
commits to a github repository, that pretty much made this a
certainty. Even without that, removing the overhead of troubleshooting
Trac or even administering it (and what administrivia comes with
running our own subversion repo) means more time we can spend moving
the project forward, instead of merely keeping it running.

mikelietz

Sean Coates

Jun 21, 2011, 3:33:03 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Please +1 this thread if you're in support.

+1 but only because I only have one vote (-:

cga

Jun 21, 2011, 3:34:29 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com, Owen Winkler
hi all,

I'm cga and I'm trying to help with pgsql related stuff.
my contribution will be litlle but as much as i can do.

I use git/github for my personal code projects and I find the former a great SCM and the latter it a great service.

so it is +1 for me.

regarding the wiki for the move, I think that some documents have been already written and that they might be good too.

for sure there are loads of references and cheatcodes on how to do basics with git.

right now I have no time to look for them, may be tomorrow I can help more.

cheers

--
knowledge has no owner, only means to reveal itself

rick c

Jun 21, 2011, 3:44:31 PM6/21/11
to habari-dev
+1

Primarily, because it'll take some management tasks off devs and give
us something besides trac to complain about. :)

Plus, it may kickstart some renewed activity on Habari.

Rick

Michael C. Harris

Jun 21, 2011, 6:00:20 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
> Please +1 this thread if you're in support.

+1

--
Michael C. Harris, School of CS&IT, RMIT University
http://twofishcreative.com/michael/blog

Michael B

Jun 21, 2011, 7:27:09 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Owen Winkler <epi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Please +1 this thread if you're in support.
Thanks,
Owen

+1 and good timing for me as I've yet to move my sites. Might as well make it a fresh start with git on the new home.

~miklb

Ali B.

Jun 21, 2011, 9:52:21 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
+1

Ali B.
http://awhitebox.com

Raman Ng (tinyau)

Jun 21, 2011, 10:10:24 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
+1

Cheers,
Raman (aka 天佑 / tinyau)
Blog: http://blog.tinyau.net
Twitter: tinyau

Ali B.

Jun 21, 2011, 10:12:13 PM6/21/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for taking on this, by the way.

Two notes:

1) Would be nice if we can use host it under the 'habari' github user (/cc Caius).
2) Super nice if we can manage to map svn user to github users:

Not sure how feasible that is though, especially with many committors not around/not having github accounts.

Chris Meller

Jun 22, 2011, 1:24:06 AM6/22/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com

Ali B. wrote:
> 2) Super nice if we can manage to map svn user to github users:

We just need the Github username and email address they registered with
for anyone who wants their commits to be mapped. The email in particular
is a real pain...

Ali B.

Jun 22, 2011, 2:55:42 AM6/22/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 22 June 2011 15:24, Chris Meller <ch...@doesnthaveone.com> wrote:

 The email in particular is a real pain...

If you mean because you can't tell which email they used to register, then of course I agree. Which is why I'm now thinking that we should be adding a table to that switch-to-github wiki page for committers who WANT to have their account mapped to put in their github "Name <email>" combination, otherwise we just don't map them. Sounds like the easiest option to me.

We should also announce that table to -private just in case.

Michael C. Harris

Jun 22, 2011, 2:59:00 AM6/22/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 22 June 2011 16:55, Ali B. <dmon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22 June 2011 15:24, Chris Meller <ch...@doesnthaveone.com> wrote:
> Which is why I'm now thinking that we should be adding a
> table to that switch-to-github wiki page for committers who WANT to have
> their account mapped to put in their github "Name <email>" combination,
> otherwise we just don't map them.

Which wiki page?

Ali B.

Jun 22, 2011, 3:02:54 AM6/22/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I've had the move to github section in your user page [1] confused with a full page :)
We'll need to setup something then, I'll do that when I get home unless someone does it before me.

Michael C. Harris

Jun 22, 2011, 4:08:24 AM6/22/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com, habari-private
On 22 June 2011 17:02, Ali B. <dmon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry I've had the move to github section in your user page [1] confused
> with a full page :)
> We'll need to setup something then, I'll do that when I get home unless
> someone does it before me.
> [1]
> http://wiki.habariproject.org/en/User:Michaeltwofish#Why_we_should_move_to_Github

Ah, no worries, thought I might be missing something.

I've moved it to here:

http://wiki.habariproject.org/en/Habari_on_github

and added a table of committers that I know have github accounts. Add
your email address if you want it linked. Add your details if I don't
know you have a github account.

cga

Jun 22, 2011, 4:34:03 AM6/22/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com, Owen Winkler
Hi all,

as promised yesterday, here I link some site/tut/guide/references.

Since the web it's full of them, I just link you to the official (and imho better) resources and leave you the choice to search for more.

git official site: http://git-scm.com/

git reference from who comes from svn: http://git-scm.com/course/svn.html

git ready (a ver good git resource: http://gitready.com/

git ready's svn ref: http://gitready.com/beginner/2009/02/04/converting-from-svn.html

git vs svn comparision: (PARENTAL ADVISORY: my dick il larger than yours kind of approach) https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnComparison

and of course github and git reference resources:

http://gitref.org/

http://help.github.com/

cheers.

--
knowledge has no owner, only means to reveal itself

Stenehall

Jun 22, 2011, 7:19:12 AM6/22/11
to habari-dev
+1

On 22 Juni, 10:34, cga <c...@cga.cx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as promised yesterday, here I link some site/tut/guide/references.
>
> Since the web it's full of them, I just link you to the official (and imho better) resources and leave you the choice to search for more.
>
> git official site:http://git-scm.com/
>
> git reference from who comes from svn:http://git-scm.com/course/svn.html
>
> git ready (a ver good git resource:http://gitready.com/
>
> git ready's svn ref:  http://gitready.com/beginner/2009/02/04/converting-from-svn.html
>
> git vs svn comparision: (PARENTAL ADVISORY: my dick il larger than yours kind of approach)https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitSvnComparison

Brian Ramsay

Jun 22, 2011, 7:24:27 AM6/22/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I just read this mini e-book a couple weeks ago and thought it was a great intro to why git is the way it is.  Git From the Bottom Up http://ftp.newartisans.com/pub/git.from.bottom.up.pdf

Brian

cga

Jun 22, 2011, 8:02:06 AM6/22/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com, Brian Ramsay
Hi Brian,

I had very quick "vertical scrolling read" of the ebook, it looks really interesting.

thank you.

Michael C. Harris

Jun 23, 2011, 4:19:26 AM6/23/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 22 June 2011 01:28, Owen Winkler <epi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This weekend I will attempt to locate or write a script that moves all of
> our core Trac issues to Github, and automates the process of obtaining
> nightly archives of the source.

To start the discussion of how we should lay things out on Github, I
suggest we have a Habari repository, what we distribute, and a
HabariDev (or something) repository that has things like tests,
scripts and design documents that we now have in svn, and includes the
Habari repo as a submodule. I've written that here:

http://wiki.habariproject.org/en/Habari_on_github#Habari_repositories_on_Github

Ali B.

Jun 23, 2011, 5:27:28 AM6/23/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
Thats a good idea. The Lithium folks do something very similar
(lithium and framework repos):

https://github.com/UnionOfRAD

Thanks,
Ali

On 23/06/2011, at 6:19 PM, "Michael C. Harris"

Stenehall

Jun 23, 2011, 1:43:45 PM6/23/11
to habari-dev
I would strongly suggest that we keep system/ and user/ in two
separat repositories. Unlike svn you cant checkout a subfolder to a
repository and it would be great to be able to keep system versioned
by habari and user/ versioned by myself.

On 23 Juni, 10:19, "Michael C. Harris" <mich...@twofishcreative.com>
wrote:
> On 22 June 2011 01:28, Owen Winkler <epit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This weekend I will attempt to locate or write a script that moves all of
> > our core Trac issues to Github, and automates the process of obtaining
> > nightly archives of the source.
>
> To start the discussion of how we should lay things out on Github, I
> suggest we have a Habari repository, what we distribute, and a
> HabariDev (or something) repository that has things like tests,
> scripts and design documents that we now have in svn, and includes the
> Habari repo as a submodule. I've written that here:
>
> http://wiki.habariproject.org/en/Habari_on_github#Habari_repositories...

Michael C. Harris

Jun 23, 2011, 10:04:52 PM6/23/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 24 June 2011 03:43, Stenehall <sten...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would strongly suggest that we keep system/ and user/ in two
> separat  repositories. Unlike svn you cant checkout a subfolder to a
> repository and it would be great to be able to keep system versioned
> by habari and user/ versioned by myself.

I think that would make things more difficult for the general user,
more difficult for us to maintain, and provide no real advantage to
users familiar with git.

You should fork Habari and develop and version your user directory as
normal. Then set the official repo as a remote and update as required.

Brian Ramsay

Jun 24, 2011, 8:42:17 AM6/24/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com

You should fork Habari and develop and version your user directory as
normal. Then set the official repo as a remote and update as required.

It would be very helpful if the devs who are familiar with Git could provide a sample workflow on the wiki for doing some basic tasks.

I'd like to see an example of the commands required for things like the above use case and a dev/production workflow - that sort of thing.  I have used Git a little bit but have never gotten a feel of how I'm supposed to be doing things, and I expect there are others who know even less about it.

or a separate page.  Also, there's not actually a link to the official Habari project on Github from that page.

Thanks,
Brian

Ali B.

Jun 24, 2011, 11:59:02 AM6/24/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 24 June 2011 22:42, Brian Ramsay <brian....@gmail.com> wrote
It would be very helpful if the devs who are familiar with Git could provide a sample workflow on the wiki for doing some basic tasks.

I'll try to help with in the course of the next few days.

Also, there's not actually a link to the official Habari project on Github from that page.

There's Habari (a github "organization") [1]. Which I would think we'll be using. There will be an official announcement once the transition is complete anyway which would naturally include all these links.

Michael C. Harris

Jun 24, 2011, 8:53:12 PM6/24/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 24 June 2011 22:42, Brian Ramsay <brian....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You should fork Habari and develop and version your user directory as
> > normal. Then set the official repo as a remote and update as required.
>
> It would be very helpful if the devs who are familiar with Git could provide
> a sample workflow on the wiki for doing some basic tasks.

That's definitely the plan. The move to git and Github is very much a
work in progress, and the page you mentioned is mostly crap that was
on my user page. By the end of next week, the page will be much better
:)

Matthew

Jul 6, 2011, 7:30:07 AM7/6/11
to habari-dev
SO ive downloaded http://www.git-tower.com/ what now? :\

On Jun 23, 9:19 am, "Michael C. Harris" <mich...@twofishcreative.com>
wrote:
> On 22 June 2011 01:28, Owen Winkler <epit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This weekend I will attempt to locate or write a script that moves all of
> > our core Trac issues to Github, and automates the process of obtaining
> > nightly archives of the source.
>
> To start the discussion of how we should lay things out on Github, I
> suggest we have a Habari repository, what we distribute, and a
> HabariDev (or something) repository that has things like tests,
> scripts and design documents that we now have in svn, and includes the
> Habari repo as a submodule. I've written that here:
>
> http://wiki.habariproject.org/en/Habari_on_github#Habari_repositories...

Helmut Granda

Michael C. Harris

Jul 8, 2011, 10:56:54 PM7/8/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, 8 July 2011, Helmut Granda <helmut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to see all these +1's contribute to the Wiki

The wiki is definitely a work in progress. Is there something in
particular you'd like to see? We're going to have a code sprint next
weekend and improving the github/git docs will be a priority.

Shawn Thompson

Jul 13, 2011, 11:45:31 AM7/13/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I would +1 ... if the repositories were still hosted on our own server. You don't have to use GitHub.

Owen Winkler

Jul 13, 2011, 12:11:59 PM7/13/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
On 7/13/2011 11:45 AM, Shawn Thompson wrote:
> I would +1 ... if the repositories were still hosted on our own server.
> You don't /have/ to use GitHub.

No, you don't have to use GitHub, but:

1) We want to be rid of Trac because that's where our maintenance
headaches are. We can only do that if we have a replacement, and GitHub
provides one that integrates well with git and doesn't require
maintenance on our part.

2) Providing patches through an issue tracker is ok, but GitHub's pull
requests streamline the process and make it easier for people to
contribute, which is a better way to encourage project collaboration.

Owen

Shawn Thompson

Jul 13, 2011, 4:07:18 PM7/13/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com

I found this CakePHP-based issue tracker/browser called Chaw, it looks pretty slick

and I presume PHP stuff is easier to manage here than python?

Sean Coates

Jul 13, 2011, 4:56:28 PM7/13/11
to habar...@googlegroups.com
I found this CakePHP-based issue tracker/browser called Chaw, it looks pretty slick

and I presume PHP stuff is easier to manage here than python?

The guys who *wrote* the Chaw recently moved their current project, Lithium, to GitHub…
Food for thought (-: