Who's talking about us

Ben Makin / a broad called Ben / Mrs Zen

Jan 26, 2011, 9:32:09 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
We've been in the Register, Boing Boing and Slash dot.

Can someone compile a list of links of places that have mentioned the closure and mentioned us?

Linketty Links?

Steve

Jan 26, 2011, 9:44:08 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com

The BBC have mentioned the closure ;¬)

Mark Faben

Jan 26, 2011, 10:13:51 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to do this unless anyone else tells me otherwise, I missed
teh oppertunity with the other one earlier as I was picking up a PA
system (literaturely...)

I'll be back with teh links when I'm done (I'm guessing any online,
including print media online (newspapers etc), blogs, other
forums/online places etc?

2legs.

--
Mark Faben

Web: http://www.accessibilitytester.com

Music: http://www.music.accessibilitytester.com
E-Mail: mark....@gmail.com

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-faben/12/a2/25b

Steve

Jan 26, 2011, 10:23:58 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Search twitter too, I came across a couple of blogs yesterday. Usually along
the lines of "Let Wikipedia take it" or "It's not as good as Wikipedia"

No, we're different

Mark Faben

Jan 26, 2011, 10:27:17 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Will do, though its turning up a fair few blogs just googling at the
moment,; there seems to have been a fair bit of noise about it on
twitter; I've noticed the #saveh2g2 tag line, and just now one of the
Gardian articles regarding BBC cuts (including mention of H2G2
closure), had been tweeted over 300 times.

h2g2 Community Consortium

Jan 26, 2011, 10:34:20 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Great we have a h2g2c2 twitter id, login h2g2c2 password saveh2g2. please do get involved in tweeting if you want!

Ottox

Jan 26, 2011, 10:40:22 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
I'm at work so haven't got time now, but remember not just to use
"normal" google:

Realtime:
http://www.google.com/#q=h2g2&hl=en&client=iceweasel-a&rls=org.debian:de:unofficial&prmdo=1&prmd=ivns&source=lnms&ei=7DxATbeiN4vp4AbJvsSYAw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&ved=0CB4Q_AU&tbm=mbl:1&tbs=mbl:1,mbl_hs:1293836400,mbl_he:1325372399&fp=1
Blogs past 24 hours:
http://www.google.com/#q=h2g2&hl=en&client=iceweasel-a&rls=org.debian:de:unofficial&prmdo=1&tbs=blg:1,qdr:d&source=lnt&sa=X&ei=uD1ATaDTMdPM4gbX3YSJAw&ved=0CA8QpwUoAw&fp=12bfbfcbff36ce6c
Discussions past 24 hours:
http://www.google.com/#q=h2g2&hl=en&client=iceweasel-a&rls=org.debian:de:unofficial&prmdo=1&tbs=qdr:d,dsc:1&source=lnms&ei=vj1ATbXhO6mP4gaIjansAg&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&ved=0CB8Q_AU&fp=6cf9b78a50d17dc4
News:
http://news.google.com/news/search?pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=h2g2&cf=all&as_qdr=d&as_drrb=q

On Jan 26, 4:27 pm, Mark Faben <mark.fa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will do, though its turning up a fair few blogs just googling at the
> moment,; there seems to have been a fair bit of noise about it on
> twitter; I've noticed the #saveh2g2 tag line, and just now one of the
> Gardian articles regarding BBC cuts (including mention of H2G2
> closure), had been tweeted over 300 times.
>
> 2legs.
>
> On 26/01/2011, Steve <steve.dunk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Search twitter too, I came across a couple of blogs yesterday. Usually along
> > the lines of "Let Wikipedia take it" or "It's not as good as Wikipedia"
>
> > No, we're different

Ian Cox

Jan 26, 2011, 10:47:46 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com

Mark Faben

Jan 26, 2011, 11:07:36 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
OK, finding a lot of blogs, and news items, and forum messages too on
forum boards outside BBC/h2g2 of course.
How best should I put all the links togheter (at the moment I'm just
bookmarking/favoriting everything as I find it (which helps avoid
duplicating links I think). ; just a list of the links plus title of
the page, in a word/plain tex document?: Or I could just stick them
into a HTML page so they're all as active <A HREF= links (again with
the title of the page; maybe devided into 'blogs', 'news' etc?
Also will attempt to put a few tweets in from the h2g2c2 account
during the day maybe to any particular links I find.
Will have to break off from this in a bit but I'll have time tonight
to continue with it.

2legs.

--
Mark Faben

Web: http://www.accessibilitytester.com

Music: http://www.music.accessibilitytester.com
E-Mail: mark....@gmail.com

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-faben/12/a2/25b

h2g2 Community Consortium

Jan 26, 2011, 11:11:03 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Mark, could you create an h2g2 page? I want to keep as much of this on h2g2 as possible, to keep it a active virbrant site.

Steve  Dr Z

Mark Faben

Jan 26, 2011, 11:18:44 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
That'd probably be the easiest option for me anyhow (rather than
trying to put up a HTML page somewhere on my website).
I'll let people know (on this thread), once I've got boared with
compiling the list of links (for now), and wehn I've started putting
them into a guide entry/page for a change of activity for my fingers
to do...

2legs.

On 26/01/2011, h2g2 Community Consortium

Ben Makin / a broad called Ben / Mrs Zen

Jan 26, 2011, 11:24:04 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
*Tries hard not to think about what 2legs fingers might be doing*

*Fails*

h2g2 Community Consortium

Jan 26, 2011, 11:24:30 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
*dirty girl*

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Ben Makin / a broad called Ben / Mrs Zen <benedic...@gmail.com> wrote:
*Tries hard not to think about what 2legs fingers might be doing*

*Fails*

*

Mark Faben

Jan 26, 2011, 11:32:10 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
The meme is released - it cannot be stopped <evilgrin>

2legs.

On 26/01/2011, h2g2 Community Consortium

Toby Shapshak

Jan 26, 2011, 11:40:44 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
I will write about this as my column for Monday next week. The Times
of Johannesburg may not be the Times of London, but it may help.
I'll mail a link though when it's posted on Monday.

On Jan 26, 4:32 pm, Ben Makin / a broad called Ben / Mrs Zen

Mr. Dreadful

Jan 26, 2011, 11:43:40 AM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Awesome
> > Linketty Links?- Hide quoted text -

h2g2 Community Consortium

Jan 26, 2011, 12:01:39 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Toby, that is totaly awesome! Thank you for all your interest and support!

Bel

Jan 26, 2011, 12:06:44 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Your very own community paper will talk about this if somebody will
submit something by Friday.
(Well, I'll talk about it anyway, but an article would be better)
Bel

On 26 Jan., 18:01, h2g2 Community Consortium
<h2g2communityconsort...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Toby, that is totaly awesome! Thank you for all your interest and
> support!

Mark Faben

Jan 26, 2011, 12:33:13 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
I'm off Friday mid afternoon, for a weekend of ... stuff.
I'll try and get the page with links of whatever I've found up to say
Thursday evening, all done and put up in an entry, with a 'blurb' at
the beginning if you like so you can have that either to go into the
post or as something to link about to from an article in the post?
oughta be finished by the end of Thursday (well as much as I'll be
able to do before I'm away.. well or about 3 AM Friday morning just
before I go to bed...)

I've just had to lug a bunch of stone hendge speakers about for a
little while and fiddle about with malfunctioning cables,and now I
need to shower and then get food, but I'll have time from... dunno
about 8 or 9 PM probably until about 2 AM, or so to really get into
compiling the list of links to external refernces to the BBC cuts/h2g2
axing..

Oh, and most awsome dude (to Tobey I think it was)...

2legs.

Malabarista

Jan 26, 2011, 1:13:12 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
We have a fair few journalists onsite - Pierce the Pirate and Hati
spring to mind, for a start. Can we get them involved?
> E-Mail: mark.fa...@gmail.com
>
> LinkedIn:http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-faben/12/a2/25b

pierce the pirate

Jan 26, 2011, 2:11:09 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
i'm sorry but i have to say no, for various reasons, the main one
being i really don't have neither the time nor the energy :(

steve dunkley

Jan 26, 2011, 2:18:09 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Not a problem. Everything is voluntary after all. The fact that you're here and showing support is enough.

Pastey

pierce the pirate

Jan 26, 2011, 2:28:34 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
oh you have my full support - and then some! - and i'm really sorry i
can't be of any help beyond that :(

Icy North

Jan 26, 2011, 2:46:40 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com

None of them mention this group, but according to Nexis, there are mentions of the h2g2 closure/disposal/ditching/sell-off in:

M2 Presswire (26/1)
Guardian (25/1)
Broadcast (24/1)
Digital Journal (24/1)
Gaj-it.com (24/1)
Guardian Unlimited (24/1)

An interesting premonition of h2g2's demise appears in the Guardian on 17/1 in their article on Wikipedia - contact me if you can't find it online

RadoxTheGreen

Jan 26, 2011, 3:55:03 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Seeing as I'm suffering an enforced stay at home, I shall endeavour to
do something twitterwise tomorrow. RTing the collectives tweets to my
followers might be worth pursuing too, given the reach some of them
have.

RTG

RadoxTheGreen

Jan 26, 2011, 4:00:35 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Not sure that giving out the password here was such a good idea
though, this isn't a closed group. Better to email it to those who
want to get involved tweeting from the account, otherwise you are
asking for the account to be hijacked - NOT what we want happening at
the present time, the results could be catastrophic! :-(

Icy North

Jan 26, 2011, 4:04:27 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
We've also been mentioned in that great news resource carrentals.co.uk  :-/

Icy North

Jan 26, 2011, 4:08:00 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
That previous one mentions timescales too:

"Ahead of schedule, about 180 websites will close with overall changes being completed by February 2013 or 2014."

Gosho

Jan 26, 2011, 4:41:52 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
If you haven't already done so I think resetting the password now
would be a very good idea. Personally I don't think most of us have a
need to tweet anything directly from the h2g2c2 account cos we can
retweet anything if we have a Twitter account of our own, but maybe
there are a few who might want to and an email to the good doctor
could get the login. I think we all pretty much know who's genuine
here and who might just be phishing.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM, RadoxTheGreen
<off...@richardwitcombe.com> wrote:
> Not sure that giving out the password here was such a good idea
> though, this isn't a closed group. Better to email it to those who
> want to get involved tweeting from the account, otherwise you are
> asking for the account to be hijacked - NOT what we want happening at
> the present time, the results could be catastrophic! :-(

--
Share and enjoy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/U147203

h2g2 Community Consortium

Jan 26, 2011, 5:11:02 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
will change the password, e mail me if you want the new one..

RadoxTheGreen

Jan 26, 2011, 5:43:16 PM1/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
I would have shortened this link but I quite like the way the wording
of it sums it up:

http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/bbc-seeks-new-owner-for-douglas-adams-created-h2g2-on-line-community-encyclopedia/

On Jan 26, 10:11 pm, h2g2 Community Consortium

RadoxTheGreen

Jan 27, 2011, 5:36:01 AM1/27/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
The French have been talking about us too: http://bit.ly/e7JFFl

RTG

On Jan 26, 10:43 pm, RadoxTheGreen <off...@richardwitcombe.com> wrote:
> I would have shortened this link but I quite like the way the wording
> of it sums it up:
>
> http://www.teleread.com/ebooks/bbc-seeks-new-owner-for-douglas-adams-...

Pastey

Jan 27, 2011, 6:39:45 AM1/27/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

Paul W. Harvey

Jan 27, 2011, 9:59:40 AM1/27/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
C'est magnifique!

That's a lovely article (I read French, by the way).

I have no doubt that Nick has the necessary connections to find help
in some form.

paulh

pierce the pirate

Jan 27, 2011, 1:00:41 PM1/27/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
lol, it sure is good fun! :)

On 27 Jan., 12:39, Pastey <steve.dunk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> These guys aren't quite...
> but it's good fun:
>
> http://www.fark.com/comments/5908440/Librarian-says-10000-page-book-o...

pierce the pirate

Jan 28, 2011, 9:00:36 AM1/28/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

Janna Ostoya

Jan 28, 2011, 11:35:19 AM1/28/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Oh, yeah. That's me. <blush>

HN :)

pierce the pirate

Jan 28, 2011, 4:48:51 PM1/28/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
good w*rk, janna! i noticed shortly after seeing it, that you were
already very active here. my bad. i should have known. sorry about
that. but there is so much to check up on right now. and so many
places to do it <cdouble>

On 28 Jan., 17:35, Janna Ostoya <janna.ost...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh, yeah. That's me. <blush>
>
> HN :)
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 6:00 AM, pierce the pirate <
>
> kjeldpoulsenkurst...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > have you seen this:
>
> >http://jannaostoya.blogspot.com/2011/01/what-is-h2g2-why-it-matters.h...

Beatrice

Jan 29, 2011, 6:45:31 AM1/29/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
http://dancingatlunacy.wordpress.com/2011/01/29/indefinable-thats-what-hootoo-are/

My blog. Sorry I cant be a bit more positive in it :-(

Bea

On Jan 28, 9:48 pm, pierce the pirate <kjeldpoulsenkurst...@yahoo.com>

Icy North

Jan 31, 2011, 2:57:51 PM1/31/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
A bit of BBC-bashing in today's Guardian:

"The BBC's plan to slash 25% of its online budget and cut the number
of its websites in half was particularly unfortunate timing for the
corporation's Wikipedia-style knowledge base, h2g2. The interactive
web encyclopedia was the brainchild of Hitchhiker's Guide to the
Galaxy author Douglas Adams, and was bought by the BBC 10 years ago.
Its long-awaited redesign was finally unveiled on 20 January – "This
redesign marks the end of months of hard work from lots of dedicated
people so we thank you all for your patience and hope you are [as]
pleased with the result as we are," announced the team behind it. Four
days later, the BBC's outgoing director of future media and
technology, Erik Huggers, announced it would be disposed of or
closed."

Link: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2011/jan/31/media-monkey-diary

PAL

MartinBzm

Feb 2, 2011, 10:27:31 AM2/2/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Just found this: http://xkcd.com/548/

Cheers!
Martin
---
Free?! Does that mean I can't get a Discount?

steve dunkley

Feb 2, 2011, 10:29:06 AM2/2/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant!!!!

If we get hootoo, we'll *have* to get permission to reproduce that!

I want that on a t-shirt :¬D

Pastey

MartinBzm

Feb 2, 2011, 10:34:04 AM2/2/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

MartinBzm

Feb 2, 2011, 11:16:58 AM2/2/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
More Historical fun : http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://h2g2.com

Funny thing is... The first mention is on december 3rd, 1998 as
"Coming soon".
On october 12th, 1999 is the first time the Wayback machine has found
something else than the announcement, but instead of a page it
recorded a lot of html-grafitti.
November 12th, 1999 it was back to "Coming soon".
Finally on februari 12th, 2000 the very first archived copy of the
original site is visible.

For those with a nostalgic bone somewhere.

I think I just heard a Dolphin Wistle!

Martin Owens

Feb 2, 2011, 12:16:08 PM2/2/11
On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 15:29 +0000, steve dunkley wrote:
> If we get hootoo, we'll *have* to get permission to reproduce that!

You already have permission to reproduce it:

"This work is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 License."

Basically, don't sell it for profit and make sure to say that Randal
created it (link to xkcd) and you can use it for whatever you want. Even
make changes to it if you like

Randal is a local here, he's a big supporter of Free Culture along with
Cory Doctorow.

DoctorMO

B GILDAY

Feb 2, 2011, 2:02:39 PM2/2/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Ho, Ho, Ho!

Verrry Good, Martin!

:-D

GT

I've been reading xkcd for a while, it's brilliant!

(how did I miss the licence, typical)

Pastey

Paul W. Harvey

Feb 2, 2011, 5:40:28 PM2/2/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
I love xkcd, too.

paulh

On 2/2/11, steve dunkley <steve....@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been reading xkcd for a while, it's brilliant!
>
> (how did I miss the licence, typical)
>
> Pastey
>
> On 2 February 2011 19:02, B GILDAY <bernardg...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Ho, Ho, Ho!
>>
>> Verrry Good, Martin!
>>
>> :-D
>>
>> GT
>>

>> ------------------------------

MartinBzm

Feb 2, 2011, 5:53:04 PM2/2/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
*random browsing*
Ummm... Should we get these guys aboard too ?
http://towelday.org/
2494 petitioners to Google cant be wrong?

Cheers!
Martin
---
Free?! Does that mean I can't get a Discount?
I thought I heard a Dolphin Wistle ...

Ottox

Feb 2, 2011, 6:50:45 PM2/2/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com

MartinBzm

Feb 2, 2011, 6:55:40 PM2/2/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Especially when it says "Glad to be of service" in that smooth silky
voice and their cheerful and sunny disposition!

Cheers!
Martin
---
Free?! Does that mean I can't get a Discount?
I thought I heard a Dolphin Wistle ... 'Its a sin' by the Pet Shop
Boys

On 3 feb, 00:50, Ottox <otto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> <http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/automatic_doors.png>

Paul W. Harvey

Feb 3, 2011, 10:33:26 AM2/3/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
I'd be surprised if at least *some* of the people at towelday.org
weren't regulars at H2G2, but the people running the site should at
least know about what is happening here.

Ottox

Feb 8, 2011, 5:34:12 PM2/8/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com

Paul W. Harvey

Feb 9, 2011, 10:41:20 AM2/9/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
H2G2 has not yet become a read-only site. Obviously we still can make
new posts there, though it's frightening to think that the earliest
part of the site's content (say, 2001 and 2002) could be erased
without giving us a chance to race in and bring our best memories back
to our own homes.

Can we politely tell the power that be to preserve the *whole* of H2G2
until we get the new ownership sorted out?

paulh

steve dunkley

Feb 9, 2011, 10:52:29 AM2/9/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
That particular chap's earlier tweets from that day do say he wasn't on about h2g2 in the list. So that's okay.
And given that the beeb have stated that they're not closing it, but looking to rehouse it, I can't see them shutting it down, driving the community away and then hoping to get someone to take it off their hands. They'll want the community thriving during the process. The more active the community the more likley we'll get a taker we want.

Pastey

Paul W. Harvey

Feb 9, 2011, 10:59:40 AM2/9/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification, Pastey. Also, thank for putting your
H2G2 name on your post. I have a really really hard time sometimes
remembering who is who. Except for Amy Pawloski, who is the same
online as she is in real life. :-)

paulh

h2g2 Community Consortium

Feb 9, 2011, 11:15:01 AM2/9/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
It's very useful. I keep forgetting who is who as well, especially on
the wider consortium. - and I've met people in real life.

Z / Steve Makin

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 4:13 PM, steve dunkley <steve....@gmail.com> wrote:
> that's why i put it in these posts/emails, I keep getting confused :¬)
>
> Pastey

steve dunkley

Feb 9, 2011, 11:13:30 AM2/9/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
that's why i put it in these posts/emails, I keep getting confused :¬)

Pastey

MartinBzm aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 9, 2011, 6:44:54 PM2/9/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Not about us but about the beeb : http://celebs.icanhascheezburger.com/2011/02

Cheers!
Martin
---
Free?! Does that mean I can't get a Discount?
I thought I heard a Dolphin Whistle ...

Martin Owens

Feb 9, 2011, 7:03:42 PM2/9/11
On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 15:52 +0000, steve dunkley wrote:
> That particular chap's earlier tweets from that day do say he wasn't
> on
> about h2g2 in the list. So that's okay.
> And given that the beeb have stated that they're not closing it, but
> looking
> to rehouse it, I can't see them shutting it down, driving the
> community away
> and then hoping to get someone to take it off their hands. They'll
> want the
> community thriving during the process. The more active the community
> the
> more likley we'll get a taker we want.

Or the more expensive it'll be for the buyer and thus we'll have people
who only want to monetize it.

Depends if you're an optimist. I hope the BBC are looking out for the
site and not the money.

DoctorMO

kea

Feb 9, 2011, 8:14:45 PM2/9/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
>>They'll want the
community thriving during the process. The more active the community
the
more likley we'll get a taker we want. << Pastey

Maybe. Or the more active the community the more the site is worth and
the less likely some smaller but cooler outfit can afford it (not that
I have any idea who would want to buy it and why - do we have a thread
on that?).

And, if it's not very active, therefore not worth so many $, then
maybe they'll let the community buy it.

I'm not suggesting we don't keep the community active. I think we
should carry on loving and using the place as usual until we know the
score. It's a weird position to be in though.

kea.

Timothy Green

Feb 9, 2011, 8:18:16 PM2/9/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
> Not about us but about the beeb : http://celebs.icanhascheezburger.com/2011/02

Could you link to the specific post you're referring to? That link
shows all of February's posts, and there are already quite a few.

TRiG.

Paul W. Harvey

Feb 10, 2011, 10:30:32 AM2/10/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Is there even the slightest chance that the BBC will change its mind
(or its fortunes will improve), and it decides to keep us? This is
probably rhetorical, but on the other hand, those more knowledgeable
about the BBC might know of times when it has reversed itself.....

paulh

MartinBzm aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 10, 2011, 11:32:47 AM2/10/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

MartinBzm aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 10, 2011, 12:16:58 PM2/10/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Um...
I was just over on Wikipedia and reading the entry on h2g2 (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2g2 ) I felt it needed work.
Some facts are dated and somehow the community aspect of hootoo should
be presented more prominent. The way it is written now feels like h2g2
is a wiki-ripoff with a twist.
If I were any good at it I would do it myself, but I am not that good
a writer. I am better at commenting.
Anyone?

Cheers!
Martin
---
Free?! Does that mean I can't get a Discount?
I thought I heard a Dolphin Wistle ...

Happy Nerd - Janna Ostoya

Feb 10, 2011, 2:18:00 PM2/10/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
I can't change it because wiki says I still have an account which I
haven't used in so long, I can't remember the password, and apparently
they have some new set-up thing since the days when I bothered with
them. I can't seem to reset my wiki password.

However, even if I could get on and correct it, tomorrow someone could
change it back again or make it say we were towel worshipers and Adams
was our cult leader. I wouldn't worry about wiki.

Aside: Can you figure out why I don't contribute to wiki anymore?

kea

Feb 10, 2011, 3:26:50 PM2/10/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
I don't know, but can't you delete cookies/user a different browser
and just start anew?

Didn't someone do some rewrites a couple of weeks ago?

RadoxTheGreen

Feb 10, 2011, 4:12:35 PM2/10/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
I've just read it and was drawn to this:

>>As of December 25, 2010, there were 10,027 Entries in h2g2's Edited Guide, every one of which is an original work.[19] For comparison, Wikipedia had 3,123 Featured Articles and 10,602 Good Articles on that day. Since Wikipedia does not allow original research, all of these were derivative works.<<

I would have thought Wiki would have more entries than that. Have they
had a purge?

Timothy Green

Feb 10, 2011, 8:55:49 PM2/10/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
I did a couple of tweaks, yes. The reports of our death were somewhat
exaggerated, so I made a correction.

Paul W. Harvey

Feb 11, 2011, 11:16:03 AM2/11/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
Good for you!

paulh

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 20, 2011, 6:51:40 AM2/20/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/26/h2g2_future_after_beeb_abandonment/

Could we contact Kelly Fiveash (the writer of the linked article) and
have a follow-up done ?

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 20, 2011, 7:33:22 AM2/20/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
On Facebook there is a group called "Floor 42" and judging from the
messages they are blissfully unaware of the troubles of h2g2. Anyone
with a Fb account to give them a clue ?

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 20, 2011, 9:20:39 AM2/20/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

Happy Nerd - Janna Ostoya

Feb 20, 2011, 11:26:04 AM2/20/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Good catch Martin.

On Feb 20, 3:51 am, "Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)"
<m.beze...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/26/h2g2_future_after_beeb_abando...

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 22, 2011, 5:29:46 PM2/22/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Found another nugget (from a while back) :
http://www.haibane.info/2008/11/17/the-secret-is-to-bang-the-rocks-together-guys/

<cheers>! Martin
--- I thought I heard a Dolphin Whistle...

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 9:25:09 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
I'm trawling the web for mentions of hootoo.

On Wednesday 23/07/2008 Toby Mason wrote this piece about h2g2 :
http://www.totallycommunications.co.uk/blog/c-236/what-is-h2g2/

Perhaps we can contact him to do a follow-up ?

<cheers>! Martin
--- jus' puttin' a muddy boot in

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 9:58:46 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
And what about the Aviators (http://www.h2g2aviators.com/) ?

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 10:06:05 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 11:14:10 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 11:17:30 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
http://www.douglasadams.eu/

Let's not forget to tell them.

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 11:19:42 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
http://evolt.org/node/114

Someone to consider for the technical parts?

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 11:24:54 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

Steve Dunkley

Feb 23, 2011, 11:31:25 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
> Someone to consider for the technical parts?

Not if his favourite things include Drupal, h2g2 would crash drupal before
it even got going.

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 11:33:33 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 11:34:54 AM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium

Happy Nerd - Janna Ostoya

Feb 23, 2011, 12:26:04 PM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Thanks, Martin/Haragai. Soon everyone shall know the lolcats have
invaded h2g2. Bwa-ha-ha-ha. Keep them coming.

Thanks,

Janna
Happy Nerd
Chief Tweeter

Paul W. Harvey

Feb 23, 2011, 1:49:52 PM2/23/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
"http://www.douglasadams.eu/
Let's not forget to tell them." [Martin Bezemer aka Haragai]

Has anyone told them yet?

paulh

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 23, 2011, 6:37:12 PM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Ummm,
methinks we needest an official Herald to bringeth the tidings in name
of the Committee to the outlyingst regions ande peasanths.

Happy Nerd - Janna Ostoya

Feb 23, 2011, 11:04:56 PM2/23/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Yes, I did.

If you feel like it, when you run across Douglas Adams fan sites or
other assorted friendly corners of cyberspace, you can always post
something like:

Greetings, hoopy froods. Here is a link to the h2g2 Community
Consortium, the group of h2g2 researchers working to save h2g2, the
site founded by Douglas Adams. http://www.h2g2c2.co.uk/

Janna/Happy Nerd
Chief Tweeter

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 24, 2011, 9:32:02 AM2/24/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Ummm, yeah. For a fansite that message could work.
How do we tell it to the serious sites like Wired, The Register and so
on?
I think it should be like a kind of press release, although that might
be a bit premature, or at least a serious note without leaning too
heavy on the Hitchhikers' lingo. Catch my drft?

<cheers>! Martin
---"No worries" he said. NOW I'm worried.

On 24 feb, 05:04, Happy Nerd - Janna Ostoya <janna.ost...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Yes, I did.
>
> If you feel like it, when you run across Douglas Adams fan sites or
> other assorted friendly corners of cyberspace, you can always post
> something like:
>
> Greetings, hoopy froods. Here is a link to the h2g2 Community
> Consortium, the group of h2g2 researchers working to save h2g2, the
> site founded by Douglas Adams.http://www.h2g2c2.co.uk/
>
> Janna/Happy Nerd
> Chief Tweeter

Steve Dunkley

Feb 24, 2011, 9:43:18 AM2/24/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
The reg know about us, I think wired do too. When we've got something a bit
more concrete, then an official press release is definitely the way to go.
I'd say only leave messages on blogs/etc at the moment, and we'll hit the
news sites when there's something for them to run with.

Feb 24, 2011, 5:57:18 PM2/24/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
I'm not the chairman, that'll be Z ;-)

I have actually worked in marketing for the last 10ish years, but only as a techie. Having said that though... The thing to do now is have a clear goal in mind, and a clear idea of how to achieve it. we're currently working on the goal, it's a little more complicated than "let's keep h2g2 open" but as we look into it things become clearer (mostly thanks to some very hard work people are putting in). The way to achieve the goal (marketing/pr at least) involves these who's talking about us contacts and links. A lot of people's blogs like to know they're being read, and that they get feedback, but they're usually read by more than leave feedback. Each reader reads the blog, and the comments attached to it (our comments). With news outlets though you need a story they can run with, at the moment there's nothing new that we can give them, but it is possible that we can use this intervening time building up a "relationship" with them. It would be a wise idea for our chairman (Z) to get in touch through email with a contact chanel at each of the news outlets, letting them know who we are, what's happening at the moment (as much as we can), what we're planning, and that we'll let them know more as and when we can, while giving them the oportunity to contact us if they want to.

I agree, the magrathea's workshop is a brilliant idea. let's hope it focuses us all one how great h2g2 can be.

Pastey

Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

Feb 24, 2011, 7:01:07 PM2/24/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Incidentally, who wants to pop over to http://www.douglasadams.eu/directory/
and vote for h2g2c2? Martin? Anybody?

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 24, 2011, 7:37:32 PM2/24/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Been there. Done that. Haven't got the bloomin' T-shirt but the vote
is cast.
Too bad hootoo is down for "some essential site maintenance" but we'll
spread the word.

Cheerio!

On 25 feb, 01:01, Happy Nerd - Janna Ostoya <janna.ost...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Incidentally, who wants to pop over tohttp://www.douglasadams.eu/directory/

Happy Nerd - Janna Ostoya

Feb 25, 2011, 10:56:35 AM2/25/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Martin/Haragai, check this out, and spread the word while today's
paper is still up:
http://paper.li/tag/strike

Thanks,
Janna Ostoya
Happy Nerd

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 25, 2011, 3:14:54 PM2/25/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
Captured it and saved it on a google-picasa page <grin>
Thanks!

On 25 feb, 16:56, Happy Nerd - Janna Ostoya <janna.ost...@gmail.com>

Martin Bezemer aka Haragai (U14769281)

Feb 26, 2011, 9:03:23 AM2/26/11
to h2g2communityconsortium
LOL!
I changed the Wikipedia page about h2g2 a bit and the captcha for
saving the page was.... "twiceangry".

Cheerio!

Paul W. Harvey

Feb 26, 2011, 1:17:13 PM2/26/11
to h2g2communi...@googlegroups.com
What is a "captcha?" Is it a little like a password?

paulh

It is loading more messages.