What the semantics of DSP_API?

Skip to the first unread message

Víctor M. Jáquez L.

2 Feb 2012, 02:56:1602/02/2012
to gst-dsp
Hi,

I was testing the kernel 3.3.0-rc2 and gst-dsp 0.10.1 and I got stuck in
MMUFAULT errors.

After digging I found that I should set DSP_API=1 to fix that behavior, that
means do not use the DMA.

What's the meaning of DSP_API?

Is there a relation between the socket node release and the DSP_API? If so, I
think it should be documented somewhere.

vmjl

Felipe Contreras

2 Feb 2012, 03:02:2202/02/2012
to Víctor M. Jáquez L., gst-dsp
Hi,

2012/2/2 Víctor M. Jáquez L. <vja...@igalia.com>:

> I was testing the kernel 3.3.0-rc2 and gst-dsp 0.10.1 and I got stuck in
> MMUFAULT errors.
>
> After digging I found that I should set DSP_API=1 to fix that behavior, that
> means do not use the DMA.
>
> What's the meaning of DSP_API?

It's the interface to the tidspbridge driver.

> Is there a relation between the socket node release and the DSP_API? If so, I
> think it should be documented somewhere.

No, there shouldn't be, that's what SN_API is for.

Generally you should care about this, just use the default (latest and
greatest).

However, the issues might have been triggered by:
https://github.com/felipec/gst-dsp/commit/b60bd3e573b1a2199bfc30a1ee4acff58a2639e1

I haven't tested that mode myself all that much, but should work, as
flush/invalidate are supposed to be only wrappers around the begin/end
ioctls.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras

Víctor M. Jáquez L.

2 Feb 2012, 04:57:2002/02/2012
to Felipe Contreras, gst-dsp
On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 10:02:22AM +0200, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2012/2/2 V�ctor M. J�quez L. <vja...@igalia.com>:

> > I was testing the kernel 3.3.0-rc2 and gst-dsp 0.10.1 and I got stuck in
> > MMUFAULT errors.
> >
> > After digging I found that I should set DSP_API=1 to fix that behavior, that
> > means do not use the DMA.
> >
> > What's the meaning of DSP_API?
>
> It's the interface to the tidspbridge driver.
>
> > Is there a relation between the socket node release and the DSP_API? If so, I
> > think it should be documented somewhere.
>
> No, there shouldn't be, that's what SN_API is for.
>
> Generally you should care about this, just use the default (latest and
> greatest).
>
> However, the issues might have been triggered by:
> https://github.com/felipec/gst-dsp/commit/b60bd3e573b1a2199bfc30a1ee4acff58a2639e1

Yep, precisely that commit is triggering the MMUFAULT in every pipeline I
ran.

Perhaps there's a lost commit in the kernel 3.3.0-rc2

vmjl