Quest for Freedom Continues ........A small solar project in Bihar shows the way!

Priya Ranjan

Aug 18, 2008, 2:17:54 PM8/18/08
to green...@googlegroups.com, dharmendra kumar

Quest for Freedom Continues ....

Vidya and Dharmendra

Context: Solar lamp distribution in Kinjar,  Bihar.

As we celebrate political freedom from colonial rule, we continue our
quest for freedom from illiteracy, freedom from corruption, and
freedom from poverty. These struggles are more difficult as there is
no identifiable power or physical entity to oppose and evict from our
land. The enemy is all pervading, yet amorphous and formless; the foe
is our apathy towards our fellow countrymen. And the worst form of
apathy is that towards children – each child left uneducated is one
more link in the shackles holding our nation bound in deprivation and
frustration.

Anita (15) is teaching to children in Kinjar Bihar

Time indeed for the ancient prayer  "asato maa, sat gamaya; tamaso ma
jyotir gamaya; mrutyor maa, amrutam gamaya
" - lead us away from
untruth towards truth, away from darkness towards light, away from
death towards immortality.

The Eureka Education Abhiyaan in Arwal, Bihar, is taking baby steps in
these directions. A joint undertaking of AID, AID-India, and Sambhav
Bihar
is making schooling possible for the children of Kinjar Nagla.
This region is just 80 km away from the State Capital, Patna, but a
major chunk of the population is untouched by mechanization or
infrastructure development. Their fields run on oxen power and their
brick factories bake hand-made tiles using tinder-wood and straw.
Their houses get by in the smoky glimmer of kerosene lamps. And the
children lag behind in school as they have few educational tools and
also cannot study at night by the wick lamps.

The solar lamp project in Bihar is changing that. Children and adults
alike flash smiles as bright as the lamps that have set them free from
the fumes of kerosene and the tender mercies of the ration-shop
distribution system. They find it miraculously unbelievable that they
do not even need to pay for getting and maintaining electricity
connections for their homes. Literally, 'tamaso maa, jyotir gamaya'!

The Eureka Abhiyaan also runs other activities for the children of the
region – Science Day on Feburary 28th, summer camp, introduction to
computers, and fun activities like sack race, lemon-and-spoon race,
and the delicious jalebi race!

All this is possible through dedicated and committed people like Mr.
Dharmendra
, who was previously associated with the Hundred Block Program,
but has now moved his karmabhoomi (field of
activity) to his native village to work with the Eureka Abhiyaan. On
the eve of Independence Day, he has sent us this message by SMS:
"Azadi ke 61 sal huye hain pure, par kam hai adhure, zinda rakhie ye
khwab, lana hai hoga inqlab. Hoga wo din mubaraq, milenge jab sabjo
apne ashali haque, in bachcho ke bhi haq, padne likhne insan ke sare
hak, ham sabke apne hak. bcz ham sab khoj rahe hai apni azadi. ek
sammanpurn jine ki azadi
" - '61 years completed since Independence,
but tasks still remain incomplete: keep this thought alive for a
revolution has to be brought in. The day for congratulations is when
everyone gets their true rights; these children also have rights - to
read, to write, to avail their human rights; when we all get all our
dues, because all of us are searching for our freedom – the freedom to
live a life of dignity."

His slogan is   "Badke hoga jawan ye baccha, abhi umar bachkani hai,
               Sach poocho to yahi baccha saccha Hindustani hai!"

               This child will grow into a youth, (though) now his age is young,
               But if you ask for the truth, this very child is the real Indian.

Manu Sharma

Aug 20, 2008, 2:10:35 AM8/20/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
Dear Priya,

Thanks for posting this article. If you're associated with this project, it'd be nice if you could share technical details - number of solar lamps distributed, the mode of distribution / finance or whether these are given as aid, the kind of lap used - LED or CFL, wattage, cost etc.

Thanks,
Manu

Kadiyala Dhanumjaya

Aug 20, 2008, 8:12:11 AM8/20/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
Dear Mr. Manu,

I would like to share some of the details of Solar Star Lantern - developed by Tata BP Solar India Ltd, Bangalore. I have been promoting this product for the rural market along with other solar products. I have already sold more than 50 Lanterns to the rural segment and the technical specs are as follows:

Lamp:
3W CFL

Solar Module:
Nominal Peak Power: 3.3 Wp at STC
Min Peak Power: 3Wp at STC

Battery:
Battery Pack Voltage: 3.6V normal
Battery Capacity: 4.0Ah normal

Features of Star Solar Lantern:
Works for 3 hrs when fully charged
Bright light that covers your entire room
Trendy Design
Solar Charging & AC Mains Charging modes
Light weight only 800gms
Multiple hanging positions for ease of use
"On charge" and "Batter Low" indicators
Long life battery and CFL
1 year warranty

A C Charger
Mobile Charger
Radio

This is cost effective Solar Star Lantern and the approximate Cost for end user: Rs 2000.00
Tata BP Solar is selling this product at Bangalore through Post Offices.

Note: Herewith attach pics of of the Lantern in two positions.

Thanks & Regards

K. Dhanumjaya B.Tech (Mech)

Managing Partner

BizPraana Management Consultancy Services

Authorised Dealer for Tata BP Solar India Limited

20-1-136/C, Tirumala Bypass Road,

Korlagunta, Tirupati – 517501, A. P.

E-mai: bizs...@gmail.com

Tel Off: +91 877 6575419

Mobile: +91 99493 25007

Lantern -Normal Position.JPG
Lantern-Normal Position1.JPG
Lantern - Hanging Position.JPG

Sanchayan Nath

Aug 20, 2008, 12:26:49 PM8/20/08
to green...@googlegroups.com, Indian Youth Climate Network

Australian "hot rocks" offer 26,000 yrs of power

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:51am EDT

Email | Print |

Share

| Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (-)

[-] Text [+]

Photo

1 of 1Full Size

By Michael Perry

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia scientists estimate that only one percent of the nation's untapped geothermal energy could produce 26,000 years worth of clean electricity.

The Australian government announced on Wednesday a A$50 million (US$43 million) project to help develop technology to convert geothermal energy into baseload electricity.

"Geothermal energy which is sometimes known as hot rocks has got a huge potential for Australia, both as a solution to climate change and in terms of national energy security," said Resource Minister Martin Ferguson.

Australia is the world's biggest coal exporter, with coal used to generate about 77 percent of its electricity, but Australia has a renewable energy target of 20 percent by 2020.

To produce power from geothermal energy, water is pumped below ground where it is heated and the heat energy used to generate power.

The Australian government's Geoscience Australia organization has mapped the nation's geothermal energy, using temperature recordings from decades of drilling by energy and exploration firms, sometimes to a depth of five kms (three miles).

A total of 5,722 petroleum and mineral boreholes across Australia were used to generate the map.

"One percent of reserves would produce 26,000 years of energy supplies," Geoscience's Anthony Budd told Reuters on Wednesday.

-~------~----~------~--~---

Ajay Chandak

Aug 20, 2008, 11:59:44 AM8/20/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
I think we should avoid commercial use of this group and avoid disputes. nobody should be allowed to promote products, especially people who are direct benificiaries. We do not have any mechanism for varifying claims. Sharing experience of an individual may be O.K., but such claims by professionals with commercial interest should not be promoted on this discussion group.
Regards,

Ajay Chandak.

Ravi Sankar

Aug 21, 2008, 1:27:08 AM8/21/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
Dear Prof.Chandak ,

In my opinion , I think we can allow every one to promote their products especially if it comes on promoting Green India/ Energy efficiency etc.

Even we can permit to promote slides like BAN PLASTIC BAGS - since that also contributes much.

Let them inform their products without highlighting commercial information like Price , delivery schedules etc.

Banning and Blocking of such things will keep us in dark.

Till now I am not aware of this solar Lantern. I am thanking them.

Promotion means , discussion on this Group about further details on this product regarding Price , delivery schedules etc..

Permitting one time to display products / services  will not cause any deviation of the Group policy in my opinion I think.

Further , there was a topic about Australia Geothermal = will aviod energy for some next 20 K years.

I think this will apply for Australia only and will not help us anywayeven for Green India . But it is better to know about it.

So anything pertains to Green India , be it commercial , Technical let us permit one time since they are also

contributing for Green India , further correspondence may be between individuals and not through this Group.

Suggestions / Opinions /Criticisms on my above welcome

RAVI SHANKAR NAGARAJAN

Ajay Chandak

Aug 21, 2008, 2:32:51 PM8/21/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
My first solar lamp, from reputed brand, did not work even 50% of its claim just after one month of use and battery gave up in 8 months time. This is where I had first sour feeling for solar PV and started digging in to the facts and claims and it was a big disappointment.

In my opinion there is no value for any manufacturers or distributor's opinion on such group. My motorcycle manufacturer claims fuel efficiency of above 90 km when it hardly surpasses 50 km and he shows me the note in small letters, "under test condition". Similarly all solar PV manufacturers have such notes on performance 'on good Sunny day'.
We should not publicise opinions/experiences of manufacturers and traders. Users opinions and experiences are welcome.

Prof. Ajay Chandak.

Manu Sharma

Aug 21, 2008, 3:49:30 PM8/21/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Ravi Sankar <ravi...@gmail.com> wrote:

In my opinion, I think we can allow every one to promote their products [...]
Suggestions / Opinions /Criticisms on my above welcome

Green-India group guidelines are very explicit in this regard - no messages are permitted that are purely commercial in nature. The guidelines are not up for discussion - certainly not from new members.

Members who have been here for more than six months and have regularly participated in discussions are welcome to make suggestions in this regard by writing directly to moderator.

The phrase "purely commercial in nature" is to be interpreted as messages written with only commercial intent. One may still make announcements about achievements, product launches or events which are in the interest of other members.

That said, I may allow members to upload brief profile of their company / service / product under the pages section of the group website if there's enough interest. This will be done under strict guidelines to keep the content brief and useful.

Thanks,
Manu
__________________

Manu Sharma

Moderator / Convener
Green-India

Priya Ranjan

Aug 21, 2008, 3:50:55 PM8/21/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
Folks:
My idea of report was to just start to illustrate different usage of solar in rural area. We are still studying the tech capabilties and then we will get back to you.
thanks,
-priya

Kadiyala Dhanumjaya

Aug 22, 2008, 12:03:29 AM8/22/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
Dear Members,

I had given those inputs on solar lantern is to create awareness and I don't have any intention to promote this product through our group. I have not mentioned about this lantern during my previous communication or discussion eventhough I had been participating in the discussions for more than 9 months. I had mentioned this because Mr. Manu asked for technical specs, pricing, etc....

Thanks & Regards
K. Dhanumjaya

A K Gupta

Aug 22, 2008, 12:37:19 AM8/22/08
to green...@googlegroups.com
knowledge is not a sin pl
thxs for sharing such a national pride piece??
i salute yr sprit of pride of india

pl pl do not get disturbed by some ones narrow thinking
they are not so matured and gets displaced by a small wind without self controls???

once again thankinggggggg youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

A K GUPTA DGM (TS), APCPL JHAJJAR