Order of Script Execution

Forever Linda

Feb 15, 2011, 11:16:41 AM2/15/11
to greasemonkey-users
My apologies if this is old news. I've tried to decipher the posts
for clues on how to assure my scripts are executing in the proper
order with the new way of Managing User Scripts. Hoping someone can
help me with simple how-to instructions.

Assuming the scripts are executed in the order they appear in the Add-
ons User Scripts (for managing/editing scripts), how do I change this
order? One is near the bottom, and it needs to run near the top. In
the old manager, it was easy to move. Now... I don't know now to move
it to the top.

ArmEagle

Feb 15, 2011, 11:46:22 AM2/15/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
You can change order by using the context-menu (right-click on a script entry).
Hopefully at some point changing order will be made a bit easier. But for now we just have to get used to that.

AE

Anthony Lieuallen

Feb 15, 2011, 12:11:27 PM2/15/11
On 02/15/11 11:16, Forever Linda wrote:
> One is near the bottom, and it needs to run near the top. In
> the old manager, it was easy to move. Now... I don't know now to move
> it to the top.

Right click and choose "move to top" (or, if you're in Firefox 4
"execute soonest").

Anthony Lieuallen

Feb 15, 2011, 12:12:17 PM2/15/11
On 02/15/11 11:46, ArmEagle wrote:
> Hopefully at some point changing order will be made a bit easier. But for
> now we just have to get used to that.

Can you explain what kind of UI you would find to be easier than two
clicks? And why it would be easier?

Forever Linda

Feb 15, 2011, 12:39:50 PM2/15/11
to greasemonkey-users
I saw references to "Context Menu," but didn't realize it was simply a
right-click. I'm very happy with this and feel quite the idiot for
needing help.

Thank you everyone for helping and for being kind with your

Forever Linda

Erik Vold

Feb 15, 2011, 2:10:26 PM2/15/11
On 2011-02-15, at 9:12 AM, Anthony Lieuallen <aran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/15/11 11:46, ArmEagle wrote:
>> Hopefully at some point changing order will be made a bit easier. But for
>> now we just have to get used to that.
>
> Can you explain what kind of UI you would find to be easier than two clicks?

actually if you want you move a script 5 positions up that would take 10 clicks..

> And why it would be easier?

drag and drop would be easier because it's 1 operation.

Erik

Anthony Lieuallen

Feb 15, 2011, 2:34:17 PM2/15/11
On 02/15/11 14:10, Erik Vold wrote:
> actually if you want you move a script 5 positions up that would take 10 clicks..

Definitely. But why do you want to move a script 5 positions up? Is
that functionally different from just moving it to the top?

Are you running into situations where "A has to run before C, but not
before B, and D has to run after all of them, but E ..." such that the
order really matters over distances like 5 scripts?

Jay Rossiter / Signe

Feb 15, 2011, 2:43:30 PM2/15/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

I know that I have certainly had situations like that, yes.

--
Jay Rossiter http://www.cothlamadh.net/
503.896.6187 si...@cothlamadh.net

esquifit

Feb 15, 2011, 3:52:23 PM2/15/11
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Anthony Lieuallen <aran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Definitely.  But why do you want to move a script 5 positions up?  Is that
> functionally different from just moving it to the top?

Yes, quite. I have several dozen scripts installed, most of them of
mine, which I regularly update and optimize. I tend to group scripts
by topic or sites to which they apply, for example all of GMail
scripts on one block, all of GReader on another, all of Flickr on
another one, etc. When I want to edit or check one script, it is
straightforward to have then grouped that way. After
installing/creating a new script, I drag it and drop it onto the right
block (I'm still using 0.8x). Moving it to the top is not more useful
than leaving it where it is, at the bottom. Dependencies among
scripts in one group are not uncommon, so it is handy having the
ability to shift a script four or ten places upwards *within* the
group. Shifting it to the very top among unrelated scripts would not
be useful.

Anthony Lieuallen

Feb 15, 2011, 3:54:40 PM2/15/11
On 02/15/11 15:52, esquifit wrote:
> I tend to group scripts
> by topic or sites to which they apply, for example all of GMail
> scripts on one block, all of GReader on another, all of Flickr on

Especially in Firefox 4: If they have similarly-prefixed names (I often
do e.g. "Google Reader; Blah"), they will sort alphabetically when
viewing, but that sort is not tied to execution order. Does that help?

esquifit

Feb 15, 2011, 5:38:30 PM2/15/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

Kind of. It allows me to spot the script I'm looking for. It certainly
does not help me to quickly alter the relative position among a group
of related scripts (in order to avoid conflicts).

I haven't tried FF4 though. I'd rather wait until FF4 is officially
out and becomes stable, then I'll try the new UI. I have now no
compelling reason to upgrade.

ArmEagle

Feb 15, 2011, 5:45:05 PM2/15/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
I'd like easy sorting for the same reason esquifit mentioned; just keeping all the scripts I have a bit organized.

I actually don't even remember how it worked in the old UI. Did it have up/down arrows somehow/somewhere? Just two arrows somewhere in the UI that would move the selected script up/down would work. Or maybe just drag&drop (but that's harder to implement I guess - with all the special cases on scrolling etc.)

Maybe a way to group scripts would be nice. But that wouldn't be in line with the 'addon' UI I guess.

I'm confused to what you are saying here. I'm running Firefox4b11 but it's simply sorted by execution order. I wouldn't want it specifically ordered by name.

AE

Michael Medley

Feb 15, 2011, 6:22:04 PM2/15/11
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 4:45 PM, ArmEagle <arme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm confused to what you are saying here. I'm running Firefox4b11 but it's
> simply sorted by execution order. I wouldn't want it specifically ordered by
> name.

There are different ways to order your scripts in the UI of FF4. You
can order your list of scripts alphabetically by name in the UI which
makes finding scripts easier.

ArmEagle

Feb 15, 2011, 6:41:03 PM2/15/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
No idea how I'd go about doing that. I've clicked around a bit, but nothing leads to a way to change the way to sort the scripts.

Jay Rossiter / Signe

Feb 15, 2011, 6:47:00 PM2/15/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com, ArmEagle

    I concur... there's no way to sort scripts in FF4.  At least not in B11 or previous.  It's always alphabetical.

sizzlemctwizzle

Feb 15, 2011, 6:46:50 PM2/15/11
to greasemonkey-users
There a 3 sorter buttons beneath the search bar.

Jay Rossiter / Signe

Feb 15, 2011, 6:50:00 PM2/15/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

    You're going to have to be more specific to what version you're using...

    Because there's nothing on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b11) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b11

On 2/15/2011 3:46 PM, sizzlemctwizzle wrote:
There a 3 sorter buttons beneath the search bar.

Anthony Lieuallen

Feb 16, 2011, 9:09:46 AM2/16/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com

Reference the screenshot from the release post:
http://www.greasespot.net/2010/11/greasemonkey-090-release.html

Near the top right, there is a "search all add-ons" box. Beneath that
are three buttons: name, last updated, execution order. Clicking any
will sort by that order. In the screenshot, the "name" button has an
arrow indicating that it is the current sort order (and, in ascending
order).

ArmEagle

Feb 16, 2011, 9:53:57 AM2/16/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Weird. I'm running GreaseMonkey 0.9.1 in Firefox 4.0b11 and I don't see that at all.
My scripts 'tab' looks similar to what Jay Rossiter posted, except I don't have the 'Compatibility' buttons.

Anthony Lieuallen

Feb 16, 2011, 9:56:50 AM2/16/11
On 02/15/11 18:50, Jay Rossiter / Signe wrote:
> You're going to have to be more specific to what version you're using...
>
> Because there's nothing on Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b11)
> Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b11

Could you post a screenshot of the entire dialog? And please, as a
link, not an attachment? There's dozens of easy image hosting sites,
including http://imgur.com/ , which take only moments to upload to.

ArmEagle

Feb 16, 2011, 11:35:18 AM2/16/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Though not addressed to me personally here's a dump of my UI: http://img156.imageshack.us/i/scriptui.jpg/
As I said, running GreaseMonkey 0.9.1 Firefox 4.0b11

Mr Warper

Feb 16, 2011, 12:21:13 PM2/16/11
to greasemon...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

4 visible buttons that move the highlighted script: 'to top', 'up', 'down', 'to
bottom'.

To move one script one position, it's still the same two clicks (highlight and
move); for further moving it's more practical: one click (the pop-up) saved for
every position to move in the list, plus you can keep clicking the move up and
down buttons without extra movement.

And above all, users wouldn't have to guess that they're supposed to find a
pop-up menu. Simple UI design guidelines from 20 years ago.

HTH,

sizzlemctwizzle

Feb 17, 2011, 8:24:46 PM2/17/11
to greasemonkey-users
I just tried FF 4.0b11 and they've gotten rid of the sort links
completely. So instead user scripts are being displayed alphabetically.

ArmEagle

Feb 18, 2011, 12:17:47 PM2/18/11
On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 2:24 AM, sizzlemctwizzle <medle...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just tried FF 4.0b11 and they've gotten rid of the sort links
completely. So instead user scripts are being displayed alphabetically.

Oh indeed. I thought that last time I checked it was still ordering by execution order. But it isn't.