Touchscreen laptops - access touch events?

Dominik Steiner

Jun 5, 2010, 8:54:14 PM6/5/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi there,

is there a way to get touch events from touchscreen laptops or desktop
computers? Am I right that only the iphone and android browser support
touch events so far? So that it is not possible to access those touch
events from the touchscreen computers?

Thanks

Dominik

spierce7

Jun 6, 2010, 12:09:27 AM6/6/10
to Google Web Toolkit
I don't think there is a way to access touch events in and of
themselves. Touch screens are just simply another way of controlling
the mouse for the computer. In terms of phones, when they touch a
link, its equivalent to them clicking the link. Basically what I'm
saying is that a touch event should be looked at by the browser, and
thus GWT, as just simply a mouse click/move.

On Jun 5, 8:54 pm, Dominik Steiner <dominik.j.stei...@googlemail.com>

Sripathi Krishnan

Jun 6, 2010, 1:19:25 AM6/6/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
On iPhone/iPad, mobile safari raises touch events. You can write javascript code to listen to these events. Since these events are browser specific, GWT doesn't handle them out-of the-box. However, it is is possible to extend GWT so that you can handle these events, and Lombardi's development blog explains how to achieve this.

Apart from mobile safari, there isn't a way to access touch events on desktops that have a touch screen.

--Sri

Dominik Steiner

Jun 6, 2010, 8:23:18 PM6/6/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your answers, it confirms then what I was thinking.