Saved bookmarks sometimes don't work in IE6

1 view

Rao Akella

Feb 20, 2008, 3:44:51 AM2/20/08
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm finding that GWT URLs saved as bookmarks in IE6 don't always work
when invoked from the "Favorites" menu. This is a problem only in IE
and not in FF.

Reproducer:
1) Start IE6
2) Go to the Kitchen Sink demo at http://gwt.google.com/samples/KitchenSink/KitchenSink.html
3) Click on the "Widgets" tab
4) Click Favorites->Add to Favorites... and save the URL.
5) Navigate away from the GWT website.
6) Now click on your saved bookmark in the "Favorites" menu.

Sometimes, this works, but sometimes, I get a blank page with the
following popup error:

Line: 3
Char: 315
Error: Object doesn't support this property or method
Code: 0

Would appreciate any solutions or workarounds.

Thanks,
Rao Akella

Peter Blazejewicz

Feb 20, 2008, 4:23:05 PM2/20/08
to Google Web Toolkit
hi Rao,

that is because of IE caching solution, I've read simliar post on
group already,
not sure if that is issue with GWT itself or with browser,

regards,
Peter

On Feb 20, 9:44 am, Rao Akella <rao.v.ake...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm finding that GWT URLs saved as bookmarks in IE6 don't always work
> when invoked from the "Favorites" menu. This is a problem only in IE
> and not in FF.
>
> Reproducer:
> 1) Start IE6
> 2) Go to the Kitchen Sink demo athttp://gwt.google.com/samples/KitchenSink/KitchenSink.html

Rao Akella

Feb 21, 2008, 1:58:19 PM2/21/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks for the reply. Does anyone remember if this is a GWT issue or
an IE problem? I've searched this group but cannot find any similar
reports.

Unfortunately, this problem leaves half my users out in the cold. I
cannot mandate FF, and it's awkward for me to explain that "bookmarks
don't work in IE for GWT apps". This is a high-demand item on my
users' wishlist.

I only recently added the bookmarking feature to my app, and I must
say it has been a less than ideal experience. The basic concept
itself is fairly simple, but a couple of pain points have made life
miserable:

1) I've had to jump through hoops to work around the fact that
onHistoryChanged() is involuntarily invoked when a hyperlink is
clicked or when History.newItem() is called, sometimes recursively. I
really wish this callback could have been made optional.

2) Adding Window.alert() to "debug" my app actually changes its
behavior, because stopping at a popup releases the history event to be
processed in a separate thread. It took me a while to figure this
out, and I wish the docs had made this explicitly clear.

Oh well. Development with GWT has so far been a pleasure, but this
was the first feature that gave me nightmares.

Thanks,
Rao