I can't wait!

p2k

Jun 4, 2009, 2:55:57 AM6/4/09
to Google Wave API
Certainly some of you guys feel the same way, especially if you
haven't been at the Google I/O conference, just like me. I read some
posts that say like "no, you can't get an account now, just be patient
- but by the way, the protocol is open, feel free to create your own
servers!". And while some of you just smiled and say "ok then I'll
wait" I decided to just do it. I'm a bit addicted to Python and also
I'm working on another web application that uses Django - a Web
Framework in Python - so my first thought was: let's see if I could
stuff something together with Django.

So here I go: http://code.google.com/p/pygowave-server/

Now there's nothing more than a simple draft of some data models of
wich a Wave server could consist. But I'll try to push it a little
further every day and it may eventually become a full featured Wave
server before Google release their reference implementation :D

Currently, the main goal is to get some robots and gadgets running via
PyGoWave Server - not Waves theirselves - as I cannot get my hands on
Google's Wave client. I will find a way to parse and unwrap those Wave
Gadgets' XMLs and throw it into an IFrame that connects to a PyGoWave
Server. I will also set it up on my own web server to test it on the
fly.

So, what do you think of this? Interested? Any Suggestions?

Cheers,
p2k.

aleagi

Jun 4, 2009, 6:21:00 AM6/4/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi p2k,

This is awesome!

As you, I couldn't attend on Google I/O but I'm having problems to
sleep waitning for the account!

You've made a really nice work! Hope you can put it all together and
have a full functional server soon!

Keep pushing!

Best Regards,
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸
°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`
Luiz Gustavo Aleagi Nunes `°º¤ø,¸¸
http://sapiensdc.com.br
Desenvolvedor Web

Betty

Jun 8, 2009, 9:53:24 AM6/8/09
to Google Wave API
Great work! The waiting is killing me.
Can you post the url of your test server so that I can test it? :)

chalachal

Jun 8, 2009, 10:51:48 AM6/8/09
to Google Wave API
waiting too.....

Dmitry Unkovsky

Jun 8, 2009, 12:33:21 PM6/8/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I'm sure p2k will as soon as first pre-early version is ready ;)

Right now i'm too busy with overburning project, having finished that
i'll bring my efforts to pygowave ;))

p2k

Jun 8, 2009, 1:40:53 PM6/8/09
to Google Wave API
My test server is ready!!!

... however, you cannot create or view any Waves or Gadgets at the
moment. I just prepared everything so the serious work can start.
Meanwhile, sign up and upload your Gadgets or enter your Gadget's
URLs.

Stay tuned!

p2k

Avital Oliver

Jun 8, 2009, 1:43:46 PM6/8/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
URL?

p2k

Jun 8, 2009, 4:49:26 PM6/8/09
to Google Wave API
Oliver,
I see you're so excited that you didn't try to look at my Google Code
project page (first post) :-P

Extra service: http://pygowave.p2k-network.org/

Cheers,
p2k.

On Jun 8, 7:43 pm, Avital Oliver <avi...@thewe.net> wrote:
> URL?

Avital Oliver

Jun 8, 2009, 5:12:37 PM6/8/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have looked at your code :)
I was asking if there is a public server URL.

[checking it out]

This looks very nice!!!

I get this error when I try to load a gadget by URL: (http://wave-api-dmo.appspot.com/public/fridge.xml)
You must upload a file or choose "External URL" and enter an URL.
--
Explorations in Google Wave - http://wave.thewe.net

Avital Oliver

Jun 8, 2009, 5:17:29 PM6/8/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Is there a gadget emulation system in place? If not I can help integrate mine (http://wave.thewe.net/emulator) into your system.

Micah Young

Jun 10, 2009, 8:29:11 PM6/10/09
to Google Wave API
Mohammady, I definately second everyone's appreciation. I'm currently
assembling a local dev environment as per your Wiki instructions. I
also missed out on the I/O but I'm itching to start exploring this.

I'm still getting comfortable with Python so I think poking around
your implementations is a productive way to get more experience. In
the meantime, where do you need the most help?

(P.S. sorry for double-post, I think I hit the old thread)

Californian

Jun 10, 2009, 10:41:24 PM6/10/09
to Google Wave API
This is awesome! I can't wait to actually use it (I don't have time
right now). Are you planning on making this a fully functioning Wave
client (i.e. will my non-dev friends be able to use this before the
Google one goes public)? Have fun building it and good luck! You know,
you might have the first Wave outside of Google!
By the way, are the I/O attendees and press the only ones who have
Google Wave accounts now? Will everyone go crazy when (if) they get
theirs? I'm brand new at developing and I think it was a mistake to
mention that in my application, so I might not get one but I want to
know when to stop waiting. I just couldn't lie to Google!

p2k

Jun 13, 2009, 4:14:35 AM6/13/09
to Google Wave API
Hi Californian,
it's true, I'm going to make this a fully functioning Wave server (and
client). I don't fear the hard work. You should know that everyone was
(and is) already able to sign up right away on my test server and with
no limits at all.

I am proud to announce that the preliminary Wave client is ready since
a couple of hours ago.

It features creating a Wave, adding participants and playing with a
single Gadget that has been uploaded. You cannot, however, write
Messages/Blips at the moment (this is maybe the hardest part). The fun
thing is, that the synchronization is pretty fast (around 250ms) as
there is no polling involved to do that. Internally, the client also
makes use of delta messages, it does not send the whole Gadget state
at all the time except when you open the Wave or reload it.

So far, so good. Have fun,
p2k.

James Purser

Jun 13, 2009, 5:35:27 AM6/13/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
p2k wrote:
> Hi Californian,
> it's true, I'm going to make this a fully functioning Wave server (and
> client). I don't fear the hard work. You should know that everyone was
> (and is) already able to sign up right away on my test server and with
> no limits at all.
>
> I am proud to announce that the preliminary Wave client is ready since
> a couple of hours ago.
>
> It features creating a Wave, adding participants and playing with a
> single Gadget that has been uploaded. You cannot, however, write
> Messages/Blips at the moment (this is maybe the hardest part). The fun
> thing is, that the synchronization is pretty fast (around 250ms) as
> there is no polling involved to do that. Internally, the client also
> makes use of delta messages, it does not send the whole Gadget state
> at all the time except when you open the Wave or reload it.
>
> So far, so good. Have fun,
> p2k.

Hi p2k,

Well done is all I can say. I've got an account on your service and I
can't wait to see what else you can come up with.

I've pulled down a copy of the source up on the code.google page and was
wondering if there was any area you were looking for any help with? I'm
a middling python coder but always willing to help out.

--
James Purser
Collaborynth